1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

School me on chips, and I'm not talking about Doritos

Old 05-16-2016, 10:46 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I still have the Powerstruck but he refuses to reburn them for free. Screw him!
And that is lousy IMO
I thought about going forward with the live tuning I paid for but that really turned me off. His attitude was very poor AFTER he had my money!

Old 05-16-2016, 10:51 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
You paid for live tuning??

I still would like live tuning but he also turned me off. When I asked for a reburn he said that I changed my setup and I would have to pay again. I said that you said in a email if they weren't working right to let him know. Changing injectors threw that out the window.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:56 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
You paid for live tuning??
Yep i did in a way. I would not have bought so many tunes but "x" number of paid for tunes got live tuned .

Old 05-16-2016, 11:49 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the title!

If I had to do it again I would have bought the hydra.

However after getting A reburn from Andrew (total turn around from mailing to burn to mail back was 7 days) I am very pleased with my TS-6. The TS6 canned tunes however I was not pleased.

My vote is for hydra, like Aaron said, you just can't beat the flexibility.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:59 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67
The big thing for instance is..

Tw tuning, power is good but smokey(I have read)

Gearhead, low smoke and less power

I have Andrews tunes and am happy with his tunes . He also is very responsive when I have questions ,observations or need revisions.

Glenn and Darin have or did have struk out tunes.(not sure if they were any good) I had no luck with that guy.

Then there are the unlimited excusses guys(not sure y anybody would give those jokers any $)

My point is dd you may want economy,other times power. I utilize my stock tune day to day unless I'm towing or need to teach school lol

My opinion is ts6 is just too limited .
There you go using that economy word again. Lol

For me personally, I don't even think about economy or fuel mileage. I calculate it purely to see what it is. If I wanted economy I'd be driving a Honda Civic. My truck doesn't like to be reigned in. Big dogs needs to eat!

I will completely agree the TS is limited. It's an archaic technology. No doubt about it. My sole point is most people don't switch tunes often. The guys that do should go with a hydra or DP's version. I'll never own a hydra, but that's just me.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:03 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have to admit I do want economy with my truck as well. I know it's not built for economy, but I want to be able to drive it as much as possible without worrying as much about fuel. I have to say, I'm getting better MPG with the powerstroke than the 302, and diesel is cheaper now as well. I'm getting roughly 17.5 MPG now (mainly highway driving), so I'm hoping to bump that up to around 20 or more.

The hydra does sound like a good idea to me though because I like the idea of not having to send the chip out. If I do buy new custom tunes, I'll probably go with a hydra then. I might have to wait a little though because it looks like its close to 500 bucks.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:24 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I was going to get another tuner but the Hydra just sounds worth it. All the tunes on the world for free? Now I just need to sell something to pay for it.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:00 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

I don't care much about economy either. Like I told Darin, it was the first time in 11 years I got a tail wind from AZ to SD. Sure, I've had tailwinds before for a day or two but not all the way to a certain destination. It seems like the majority of the time I have a head wind. Instead of my usuall 7 or 8 mpg I actually got 10 to 11 mpg.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:39 PM
kmjone00
Mountain Pass
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Bubba Jones
Here is an unrelated question but I figured I'd ask it here instead of a new thread because it deals with improving performance. I've read about the HPOP crossover line before and was thinking of putting something like that on when I had my engine out. I didn't do it though.

Will that crossover line help much with making the truck run a little better? If so, is it as simple as just unbolting the two oil plugs on opposite sides of the head and putting the line in?
Regarding the HPX...

I have read several reviews, seems to offer significant improvement to idle quality for some trucks, only minimal improvement for others. The improvements seem to be idle noise and smoothness, not really a performance gain. I assume part of the mixed results has to do with the relative health of the rest of the injection system. I assume the HPX may kind of balance out oil for a truck that has a weaker HPOP or a couple unhealthy injectors.

I have one. It's an affordable part and I wanted to try it. My injectors are fresh and the ICR and HPOP are operating correctly. For me the improvements were very subtle at best, but I'm okay with subtle improvement. The install is relatively straightforward, remove the plugs, install the crossover. However you have to play with the alignment a but to get both sides started. For me it was easier to remove the intake tubing to get better access to the left side.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:30 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Okay thanks for the info! I probably will do it if it offers any bit of improvements. I'm not expecting power out of it, but smoother running or the like would be nice. I see you have an AF gauge installed. How do you like that? I really want to get one but I opted to get the glowshift 3 package gauges (Boost EGT and Fuel PSI) for the meantime instead.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:19 PM
kmjone00
Mountain Pass
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Love the Aeroforce gauge. I think it's wise to still go ahead with some traditional gauges as you mentioned. I think some things are easier to watch with the sweep of a needle rather than watching numbers and decimals change. However if you have the normal set and want to add one, I think the AF offers a lot of value. I started with the AF gauge first because I wanted the diagnostics capability immediately. I plan to add traditional analog gauges soon enough. Install was fairly straightforward. I put mine in a column pod and was pleasantly surprised, pretty clean match to the factory column. Have not played much with the recording functionality, but the buzz and contribution diagnostic tests and code reading and clearing are fairly intuitive.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:56 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

x2^^^^^^^^

Old 05-17-2016, 11:35 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Hate my AeroForce Gauge, I have the blue face and it's so hard to read. It dose do other things like codes and all but for me reading it going down the road I hate it.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:53 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Hmm.. I did imagine it would be a little tough to rear it while driving. I really do like that it can do the buzz test and contribution test though. If I get it, and then a 4 pillar gauge pod, I could just put it closest to me so it may be easier to read!

Old 05-17-2016, 03:50 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a hydra with swamps tunes (Smokey and hot), 4 gauge pod, and ae. I have been really really happy with my setup. It is a little more involved to read codes on the fly having to pull the laptop out, but it's not that bad. If I were to do it again, I would go with exactly the same setup but different tunes.. Maybe gear head.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: School me on chips, and I'm not talking about Doritos