DieselTechRon) was in a fatal car accident yesterday - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

DieselTechRon) was in a fatal car accident yesterday

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DieselTechRon) was in a fatal car accident yesterday

Old 05-18-2016, 08:31 AM
cinrock
Freshman User
cinrock is starting off with a positive reputation.
My condolences to Ron's family. He will be missed by so many, most of us never met Ron but knew him like a good friend from his videos. Ron was truly a good guy who went out of his way to share his skills to those like me.

Rest in Peace Ron. There's a rumor God drives a 6.0 and needed you and Rusty to keep it running.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:16 AM
chunt
Freshman User
chunt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Pitcrw6
Postmaster
Pitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by chunt View Post
Wasn't wearing his seat belt, the out come might have been different. Seat belts save lives people.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Y2KW57
Postmaster
Y2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputation
How awful. The photo shows that the white Volkswagen sustained significant damage on all sides, but the passenger cabin or "roll cage" of the VW was entirely in tact. Yet, the externally opening sun roof was indeed open. All the passengers in the opposite car were wearing seatbelts, and survived with only minor injuries.

Clicking beyond the article revealed a shocking number of recent fatalities in vehicular collisions within the last 8 weeks in the Hemet area. Between March 12 and May 10, a mere two month period, at least 8 major collisions, with just as many deaths. That seemed disproportionately high for a low key community with wide roads in the middle of the California desert, so I looked at some insurance industry statistics.

Turns out, big wide roads and sprawling areas don't seem to keep us safer. Tiny, overbuilt Massachusetts had the lowest number of fatalities per driven mile, and per capita. Nearby small east coast states, like Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, DC, followed close behind, even though they are some of the most densely populated states per square foot.

On the other hand, wide, wonderful Wyoming, with lots more land and space between people, had the highest number of fatalities per driven mile, and a far higher number of deaths per capita. Over 3 times higher than California.

A cursory view of this 2014 data suggests that people may drive faster on wide open roads, and/or don't always wear their seatbelts as often in "country" communities, as opposed to the slower, more restricted and policed driver behavior that is enforced in crowded city communities. Something to think about whenever traveling by vehicle.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:37 PM
Pirsch Fire Wagon
Senior User
Pirsch Fire Wagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Y2KW57 View Post
How awful. The photo shows that the white Volkswagen sustained significant damage on all sides, but the passenger cabin or "roll cage" of the VW was entirely in tact. Yet, the externally opening sun roof was indeed open. All the passengers in the opposite car were wearing seatbelts, and survived with only minor injuries.

Thirty years in the Fire Department in Washington, D.C. area and I was always somewhat amazed how a vehicle with minimal damage could result in death and dismemberment of its occupants. Yet, often, we would "cut" someone from a vehicle and take 30 minutes, evacuate by Air, and they survived to tell about it.

This was just a "freakish" accident where the operator was ejected via the Sun Roof. I don't like the Government telling me I need to wear them and issuing a citation if I don't (actually I don't like the Government at all).

On the other hand, statistics and science don't lie. They just present facts for review. In this case I believe he would be with us currently. RIP

Another one, how many times I saw a Drunk awake and alert and another driver dead - That mystery goes on as well.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:48 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Jesser02EX is a name known to allJesser02EX is a name known to allJesser02EX is a name known to allJesser02EX is a name known to allJesser02EX is a name known to allJesser02EX is a name known to all
Ron and his family had been on my heart all week. May 10th, the day of the accident was my birthday. As a LEO, I see tragic accidents on a regular basis, it never gets easy and only worse when you know the victim. After my emails with Ron on 7.3 issues, I really felt like I knew him, much like I know you all here at FTE.