Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Bilstein? Monroe? Rancho?... other?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 02:09 PM
Farflunged
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bilstein? Monroe? Rancho?... other?

Hey guys...
I recently joined this forum. I've explored a bunch of threads regarding shocks for older model Explorers but they can get a bit off topic at times. I'm curious if any of you have had direct experience with aftermarket shocks and what your thoughts are about them. I recently purchased a 99 Explorer 4wd/awd and need to replace the shocks all around. So much advise out there I thought I'd try to narrow it down. I don't really go off road (mostly city driving) but going camping and some basic dirt roads are in my future. I'm considering Bilsteins but some have said they can be a bit "harsh" though this can be subjective. If you have them on yours which ones and if not what did you install and what is your experience with them?

Thank you for any input you may have to offer

(if i've missed a thread feel free to forward a link as well)

Old 05-11-2016, 08:24 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
I put Gabrial Ultra on my F150 2 years ago and they turned out great.. Great ride, larger than OEM piston.. nice ride... economical.... local purchase Auto Zone.

Gabriel | Ultra Shocks and Struts

Old 05-11-2016, 08:41 PM
Farflunged
New User
steve(ill) I appreciate your response and thank you for that suggestion. I'll look those up.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:05 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
With reagrds to shock recommendations IMHO it is all dependent upon 1 thing "what type of feel does the owner want" and final shock determination is based upon 3 factors:
1. Tires (specific construction)
2. Springs (rate & design including progressive style)
3. Road conditions
1) Koni- Excellent for racing applications- overpriced for street applications
2) Tokico, QA1 & Bilstein- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running very stiff tires on the street (such as Bridgstone or tires with profiles shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra give that you need for both comfort & stability
3) KYB- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running a softer tires on the street (such as BFG or tires with profiles not shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra stiffness that you need for both comfort & stability. The Exel-G’s (formerly GR-2) are the equivalent to the Edelbrock IAS automatic adjusting units. Overall, stiffness between the Gas-a-just and the GR2’s are the same, the difference is the GR-2's valving which stiffens things up from a oem setting to that of the Gas-a-just units.. Best shock for the $/best price typically found at Performance Suspension Technologies (PST) and typically about 1/3 less than Bilstein.
4) Gabriel- A very nice good quality HD OEM replacement type unit.
GR2/Excel-G Evaluation
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l-for-fx4.html

Posted July 18, 2013 by Oldtimer
I did the same kyb strut and shock switcharoo with the original stuff about a year ago on my 04 FX4...the *** end was bouncing all over the place. It rides and handles great, especially for a 4x4, and it's not nearly as expensive as Rancho or Bilstein.

Posted on July 19, 2013 by MC Davis
She's back! I like the KYB's. The ride is best described as firm but comfortable and not jarring. It's not as soft as the stock ride, but yet it's more controlled. Firm when it needs to be, and plush at the same time.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Farflunged
New User
Thanks, Beechkid! great info. I'm looking into all of those now

Old 05-14-2016, 11:56 AM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I put KYB Gas-A-Just on my '98. I didn't really notice any difference over the stock shocks that had 157k on them. The KYBs seem a little underdamped, the front more so than the rear. I was hoping for something that would stiffen up the ride a tad over stock.

If you get the KYBs, the instructions are incorrect in one aspect. It may be the same with other aftermarket shocks. The instructions say to tighten all fasteners to the factory recommended torque. The nut on the top of the front shocks is supposed to be tightened to about 30 ft-lbs (going off memory), but if you do that, you'll strip the threads. The stock shock has a shoulder where the threads end that the nut bottoms on. The KYB doesn't have any shoulder so you end up running the nut onto the shaft where the threads taper.

There's also an "axle shaft damper" in the rear. I used Monroe Magnum for that. Again, I can't say I noticed any difference over stock.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:34 PM
jswford
Mountain Pass
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikeman
I put KYB Gas-A-Just on my '98. I didn't really notice any difference over the stock shocks that had 157k on them. The KYBs seem a little underdamped, the front more so than the rear. I was hoping for something that would stiffen up the ride a tad over stock.

If you get the KYBs, the instructions are incorrect in one aspect. It may be the same with other aftermarket shocks. The instructions say to tighten all fasteners to the factory recommended torque. The nut on the top of the front shocks is supposed to be tightened to about 30 ft-lbs (going off memory), but if you do that, you'll strip the threads. The stock shock has a shoulder where the threads end that the nut bottoms on. The KYB doesn't have any shoulder so you end up running the nut onto the shaft where the threads taper.

There's also an "axle shaft damper" in the rear. I used Monroe Magnum for that. Again, I can't say I noticed any difference over stock.
+1 on stripping the threads. i did that on my front shock.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:56 PM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jswford
+1 on stripping the threads. i did that on my front shock.
Don't you love it when they tell you to follow the manual, but don't design their parts the same as OEM?