1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

'68 Camper Special/Ranger Emblems

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 10:38 PM
NAA_Silent
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know where I can obtain a replacement Camper Special emblem? I'm also looking for a source for a set of the correct Ranger emblems.

On a side note, I've noticed the set of ranger emblems I have on my truck currently look like they had something broken off to the rear of the ranger emblem. There's also 4 extra 'mounting holes' to the rear of both emblems. Leads me to believe there's something missing. But what was it?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

Old 08-14-2003, 11:15 PM
ranger240
Elder User

dennis carpenter is a great place to look for any resto parts for our trucks. he has year model specific catalogs and is very resonably priced.

that "broken" emblem is mostlikely a XLT badge.

-Edited by Admin, see guidelines-

Old 08-14-2003, 11:22 PM
460 Crew
Elder User

Before I could even type you took the words out of my keyboard I second the XLT. New ones From DC are around 30 bucks each vs some used ones polished up for 5 bucks from a junkyard.

Old 08-15-2003, 01:10 AM
BB
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No XLT's in '68, you must have a later bed. Are there rear sidemarker lights?

Oh, and welcome to the site!

barry

Old 08-15-2003, 05:12 PM
NAA_Silent
Freshman User

Thanks for the great info so far, I've checked out Dennis Carpenter, and they don't have the emblems I need on thier web page. I don't really think this is an XLT, as there is no reference to it anywhere else on the truck. The bed may have been replaced, but I'm not sure. It might explain the broken emblems.

Thanks for the welcome BB, There is a marker light on the bed, but it's actually a reflector mounted on a rubber wedge.

I'll check a few of the local junk yards again, and if I can't find anything there, I'll send you an Email ranger240

--------
'68 F250 CS 390

Old 08-15-2003, 05:40 PM
BB
Post Fiend

Hmmm.... reflectors were on the sides of '68 and '69 beds and lights on '70 - '72. Check out the different years in the Pictorial on the right. Don't know what those extra holes are, can you post a pic?

Barry

Old 08-15-2003, 08:07 PM
NAA_Silent
Freshman User

Since I'm not sure how to post pic's here, I'll just link my home page. The last 2 pics show the extra holes, and the reflector on the bed. Clicking an image will bring up a larger one. I hope you can figure it out, I'm at a total loss so far.

Ooops, forgot the link

http://home.earthlink.net/~raysolid/id3.html

Old 08-15-2003, 11:11 PM
460 Crew
Elder User

Its just a thought but I was looking at my 69and70 sales brochures and was looking at the hole configuration. Could it be that someone has changed out the emblem from a custom sport prior to your ownership to a Ranger emblem?The sport goes really low and is long. just something to mabey look at. Also your truck is looking really good,looks to be getting that showroom shine back!

Old 08-15-2003, 11:57 PM
BB
Post Fiend

Well, Sport Customs came out in '70 too but I think I know what the story is.

Your Ranger emblems are correct and you have a '68 bed. The extra holes are for tie-down hooks that have been removed. The Ranger emblem was "shortened" because the tie-down hook there was too wide to fit with it.

Sound plausible?

Barry

Old 08-16-2003, 12:17 AM
ranger240
Elder User

Those holes look like they might belong to a tiedown hook, or maybe a signal light.

I was told by the Oklahoma dep. of transport. that all cars after 1980 had to have a red light, not just a reflector on the rear sides of the vehicle, as well as an amber one on the front sides. And since I got a fender off of an '81 rabbit to replace the dented one on my 79 rabbit pickup, they made me put lights on the rest of the corners because "That one has a light on it, where are the rest of them."

Now looking at the cover of the Dennis Carpenter May 2002 catalog, there is some sort of chrome badge behind the ranger emblem, I cant figure out what it is, but it looks small enough to fit the holes you have on your truck, and the truck is about the same color you have your truck painted.

hope this helps NAA_SILENT

Old 08-16-2003, 12:24 AM
ranger240
Elder User

well BB it seems that there is an agreement of sorts here, I do remember seeing a hook on the front and rear of the bedside on a friends 69 CS. I dont know if they were stock though.

Old 08-16-2003, 12:35 AM
BB
Post Fiend

When I was looking for trucks there were a lot with holes like that.

Chrome badge huh, guess I'll have to get a new catalog and check it out.

Old 08-16-2003, 12:45 AM
ranger240
Elder User

I found a pic on the internet just now and put it in my gallery. It is the green truck and it too has that badge, or maybe it is one of those round type hooks I am not sure it is not very clear, but the guys ad is on a website called DEALS ON WHEELS and he has his email listed there, I dont think it would be right to put his email up with out his say so.

Old 08-16-2003, 01:23 AM
NAA_Silent
Freshman User

You folks are great! I've gotten more help and ideas here, than any other site I've been to!

The hook idea may be plausable, but it's only on the rear of the bed, and not on the front. Proper tie down for a camper is front and rear. My CS did have hooks on it for that, but they were obviously added after. I am curious about that badge tho, so if there's a link to a decent pic, I'd appreciate it.

The marker light idea has merit, but that high on the bed makes me wonder. I'd think they would put them where the original reflectors were. At least that's what I would do to help protect the wires, and for general astetics.

I did take a look at that pic ranger240, but it's not good enuff for me to make out what it is. If all else fails, I'll just weld em in, and repaint that area

Thanks for the complements on the truck, I've been working real hard on it for the past month or so, and in a few more weeks, I'll color sand it, and 'pop' insta-shine

Old 08-16-2003, 01:37 AM
BB
Post Fiend

Thanks, that's what we're all here for.

I agree about the front and rear tie-downs for campers. What I'm guessing is the holes on the lower part of the bed are for those hook style ones and the holes by the emblem was for one of those fancy round ones for rope or whatever. Just guessing 'ya know.

Barry

Quick Reply: '68 Camper Special/Ranger Emblems