1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Road trip, T minus 6 days

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 10:26 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Safe travels. Take pictures of the truck all loaded up and double check everything once loaded and every so often
I had a truck loaded on the trailer backwards once and the wind whipped the door open while going 60 mph.
Not a pretty sight. Make sure the hood is latched good or tied down too.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:32 PM
Jules The Great
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Probably also go around the truck every stop to see if anything is coming loose and remove it so you don't loose it or have it cause more damage to other parts of the truck.

There was just a thread started about a guy who lost his tailgate on the drive home!

Old 05-14-2016, 09:19 PM
ChristiansenP
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the great advice guys!! I'll make sure everything is strapped down - I've got a bevvy of motorcycle tie downs that I'll use on every square inch of it.

And I will definitely document the whole thing with photos! We're taking a vacation first, so I'll be quiet for a week or so, then the barrage of questions and photos will commence!

Old 05-25-2016, 04:04 PM
ChristiansenP
Senior User
TA DAAAAA!

Well, here's Frank! We couldn't be more excited. More pics to come, but here's it loading up. In Seattle now, headed home to MT on Thursday. Stopping by a few tool stores on the way home, you know "just to look"

Thanks for everything to this point, more pics (and questions!) to come!

Old 05-25-2016, 04:19 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Looks like your little supervisor has the job all figured out.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:26 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
Sure looks better than in that first pic! Glad you made it to Seattle, hope the trip was enjoyable, and hope the return trip is uneventful. The truck looks to be in great shape. Stu

Old 05-25-2016, 06:04 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can almost hear Frank sayin', "Is that really daylight out there? I'm free!" Your son looks as happy as you do, very cool. Hope you have a safe trip home. Check your tie downs often. Don't want him wandering off by himself.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:51 PM
Jules The Great
More Turbo
Looks like you have it all strapped down well. One thing I forgot to mention is my Dad always makes sure he can see his load binders in the mirror on the driver side, AND if you have a load binder on it can't hurt to wire it shut. They normally have a hole at the end of the handle.

I would not expect it to hop left or right but if you notice it start moving you can have your chain wrap up over the right leaf spring then go down behind & under the axle, then back over the front, over the left leaf spring down behind the axle and over to the left side of the trailer.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:27 PM
JakRak
Senior User
Nice! Hope you have a safe trip home.

And if you ever want to get rid of that '63 WA plate...

Old 05-25-2016, 11:56 PM
ChristiansenP
Senior User
Great advice on the loading. I'll keep my eye on it as I travel. I was just thinking about zip tying it shut as safety, good call.

I've got it pretty darn tight. Like, I can see the compression in the tires tight. Is that too much? Not enough? Definitely no wiggling when I brake check in my cul de sac. That seem good? I've got it chained around the axles front and rear, angled forward and rearward. Seems solid enough??

Thanks guys! More info and pics to come as I start the discovery, disassembly, and cataloging process!

Old 05-26-2016, 12:01 AM
Jules The Great
More Turbo
That sounds tight enough, just check them when you stop for fuel.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:45 AM
Mr. Ed
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a shopping hint for you. When you stop into the "tool store" on your way home, leave the wallet and credit cards in the tow vehicle. Just take enough cash in that is expendable. This way to you don't spend the "helper's" inheritance.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Old 05-26-2016, 07:54 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ChristiansenP
Great advice on the loading. I'll keep my eye on it as I travel. I was just thinking about zip tying it shut as safety, good call.

I've got it pretty darn tight. Like, I can see the compression in the tires tight. Is that too much? Not enough? Definitely no wiggling when I brake check in my cul de sac. That seem good? I've got it chained around the axles front and rear, angled forward and rearward. Seems solid enough??

Thanks guys! More info and pics to come as I start the discovery, disassembly, and cataloging process!
You should have it chained to the frame not the axle. You want to keep the mass from bouncing. If you question that look at how new car carriers secure their cars and trucks.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:28 AM
WDB3-F1
Freshman User
Man, what an awesome trip for a dad and "helper". This is one you guys will be able to talk about for years! Hope the return is smooth.

Billy

Old 05-27-2016, 08:52 PM
ChristiansenP
Senior User
Thanks for everything guys! I'm about to start up a build thread, but wanted to update here to conclude this chapter.

Frank is at home! We made the trek over, stopped in Spokane to buy some tools and PPE (using a prelaoded debit card, good advice Mr. Ed).

Thanks for all the help! Now to get this parade started!!!

Quick Reply: Road trip, T minus 6 days