1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manfred's 1979 Bronco Project (56k warning)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:40 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manfred's 1979 Bronco Project (56k warning)

Got this Bronco by trading my 1990 SAS Ford Bronco. I loved the 1978-1979 model Broncos so I got it.

It came with a 351M/C6 and wasn't lifted but I could tell someone did take care of it.

I swapped out the 351M for a 466 I had in my 1979 F150 that needed too much work done to it body wise.

I drove around with that set up for awhile and was running 93 octane gas. I then decided I wanted to lift it. So I began installing the Deaver Superflex coil springs and shackle flip in rear.

I then decided I wanted to go farther with my Bronco but I didn't have the tools and all of the knowledge to do everything so I had the guys at LEB come pick it up and start on it.

My plans was a rebuilt 460, ZF5, hydroboost, rear disc brakes, twin stick NP205, a locker in the rear, and regear both axles.

They began working on it. Had the new engine bored to a 468. The ZF5 wasn't going to be real simple so we decided to do a NP435 swap since it would be simple.

Things progressed over the year and the hydroboost was cancelled because it got damaged. So LEB bought me a F350 booster/master for payment of accidentally damaging the hydroboost. They also did the rear disc conversion using a D44 rotor and Chevy caliper.

Here are some of the pictures from LEB progress:

(Old engine)

New beginning

EXHAUST SIDE PORTED

Recurved distributor

But long story short I just got it back. I had an Aussie locker in it but went with a Detroit. The other third member was destroyed because the carrier cap broke. Don't know how. But my buddy had an extra third member around. We installed new gears in it and the detroit.

I now noticed my F350 booster is leaking and I am debating on just going ahead and doing the hydroboost. I have the damaged hydroboost system but don't know if I can still use it. Here is the damage:

Old 05-10-2016, 09:50 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
So recently I installed this new aftermarket collar bearing that takes place of the white bushing that messes up on the 70s Ford. Fixed it and little better steering. But I know now I am going to need an alignment because my passenger front tire is wearing down fast.

I have a lot of things planned. I just fixed my blinkers and running lights but I am not having my back left blinker working when I turn on the running lights, but it does work when running lights are off.

I am also having to install a new oil pan because my oil one is leaking around the rivets for the oil dipstick tube. It is coming tomorrow.

I am also having a MTS plastic tank being delivered to since my steel one is rusted and has gotten my carb pretty dirty.

My rear disc brakes are also acting up. The brackets have bent somehow and was getting my wheels hot. So we trimmed down the brake pads and so far it is ok but I am going to have to do something else. I am seriously thinking about an Explorer disc brake conversion.

I will keep posted on my progress..

Old 05-11-2016, 05:36 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Manfred , since your in se ga. and I am in s.c ,we are close enough for you to work on my ride .Great progress and I know its timely but the results are rewarding .Good luck

Old 05-11-2016, 10:30 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Black Ford XLT
Manfred , since your in se ga. and I am in s.c ,we are close enough for you to work on my ride .Great progress and I know its timely but the results are rewarding .Good luck
Kris is in SC he owns the LEB place.

I installed my new oil pan today. Had to change pick up tubes