1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1948 Ford F-4 rear end grind

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 01:36 PM
F4Bob
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1948 Ford F-4 rear end grind

My 1948 F4 (flathead V8, 4sp synchro, 5.83 rear) is having some major grinding issues in the back right hub.

Sounds like the bearings.

My questions is how do I remove the axel. My manual isn't too clear on the subject.

Also- any recommendations on other service I should do since I'm about to go deep in the back end?

I have the brake drum off and all the nuts removed from the axel.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 05-29-2016, 01:52 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Youtube full floating axle removal

Old 05-29-2016, 02:07 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Remove the axle and you'll see the large nuts that secure the hub to the housing. FWIW, there are some UTube procedures that are obviously done by "hacks". Get a wrench to remove and replace the large nuts. Have fun.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:20 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
You will need to remove the nuts and tapered lock washers from the studs holding the axle in the hub. There are two jack screw holes in between two of the studs on the axle head, sometimes they work sometimes they don't. I have seen quite a number of axles with jack bolts twisted off in them. If the jack bolts don't pull the axle loose, you have two options, double nut the studs and remove all the studs or use a hammer about 3lbs and pound on the center of the axle head. Pounding on the head will cause the tapered lock washers to back out where you can remove them with pliers. Once the axle is loose, just pull it out. There is a pair of 8 sided nuts about 3 1/4" across the flats to adjust the wheel bearings. You will probably notice that a PO has removed the outside one with a cold chisel, very common, as most don't have the proper socket. There is a keyed washer between the nuts. When you get the hub off please notice that there is a snap ring behind the grease seal that must be removed before you can drive out the seal. I can give you the National and C/R numbers for the grease seals when you are ready to reassemble.
Mark

Old 05-29-2016, 05:35 PM
Flat48
Freshman User
Thanks. Got it off.

Lots of metal glitter inside. Bearings done it seams...taking the nut off once o get the socket.

Originally Posted by 49fordv8f4
You will need to remove the nuts and tapered lock washers from the studs holding the axle in the hub. There are two jack screw holes in between two of the studs on the axle head, sometimes they work sometimes they don't. I have seen quite a number of axles with jack bolts twisted off in them. If the jack bolts don't pull the axle loose, you have two options, double nut the studs and remove all the studs or use a hammer about 3lbs and pound on the center of the axle head. Pounding on the head will cause the tapered lock washers to back out where you can remove them with pliers. Once the axle is loose, just pull it out. There is a pair of 8 sided nuts about 3 1/4" across the flats to adjust the wheel bearings. You will probably notice that a PO has removed the outside one with a cold chisel, very common, as most don't have the proper socket. There is a keyed washer between the nuts. When you get the hub off please notice that there is a snap ring behind the grease seal that must be removed before you can drive out the seal. I can give you the National and C/R numbers for the grease seals when you are ready to reassemble.
Mark

Old 05-29-2016, 05:36 PM
Flat48
Freshman User
Pics

Originally Posted by Flat48
Thanks. Got it off.

Lots of metal glitter inside. Bearings done it seams...taking the nut off once o get the socket.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:36 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

I would suggest the next step be to drain the differential to see how much water comes out. I see some in the axle housing. If the differential is full of water and the bearings are dry, the rear end may be history.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:56 PM
CaptPayne
Senior User
And if you are doing one side... do the other. Especially if the diff oil doesn't look great. The drivers side could be close behind, might as well do some preventative maintenance.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:10 PM
F4Bob
Junior User
More pics..

Cleaned it up a bit. Will check differential. <br/>

Old 05-29-2016, 09:25 PM
F4Bob
Junior User
Should I be able to pull the hub off at this point?

Mark

Old 05-29-2016, 09:30 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Yes, unless one of the bearings has damaged the spindle, then it may come off hard. Otherwise it should pull off easily.
Mark
BTW, Measure the size of the nut before you buy a socket, I was going from memory when I said it was about 3 1/4".

Old 05-29-2016, 11:42 PM
Flat48
Freshman User
It's not coming off easy.
I used pullers (pic) and no movement. Maybe I need to go farther but so far nothing.

I removed the nut without socket. It had the chisel notches .

BYW- Thanks very much for you help

Yes, unless one of the bearings has damaged the spindle, then it may come off hard. Otherwise it should pull off easily.
Mark
BTW, Measure the size of the nut before you buy a socket, I was going from memory when I said it was about 3 1/4".

Old 05-30-2016, 05:27 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

I would SWAG that when the bearing cage broke, it locked the bearing and the inside race has worn into the housing. Look at the lower side of the housing where the bearing rides. From what I see, I believe you will find a 1/8" groove. If the race has worn much of a groove into the housing, you'll be looking for another rear end.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:02 PM
F4Bob
Junior User
Finally pulled it off. Doesn't look too bad. But I'm not too sure when it comes to this. It has some pits(pic) but no grove going around.

Hub

Lots of small pits.

Rear end side looks ok.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:14 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Top of the housing looks ok. How about the bottom side, where the pressure would be greatest? Look closely. Does the outside bearing inner race fit on the housing with no excessive play? What does the oil look like that was drained? Water, chunks? Now, inspect the other side.
New inner and outer bearings, races and seals will be on your list, minimum.

Quick Reply: 1948 Ford F-4 rear end grind