2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Cameras, cameras and more cameras

Old 05-09-2016, 12:23 PM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cameras, cameras and more cameras

Just wanted to let everyone know some info i hadn't seen anywhere else.

As you know the 2017 Super Dutys have some pretty cool features available. One of them is the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera package. This gives you the front camera, 2 side mirror camera and CHMSL camera (top rear cab).

It also gives you the ability to add a camera to the back of your RV/Trailer and install TPMS sensor in the trailer.

The bad part is i just found out the 1 camera and TPMS (I'm assuming four sensors) cost a total of 725 bucks.

This item in the guide is titled :Individual Trailer TPMS/Customer-Placed Trailer Camera Order Code: 653

Below are the requisites.
(req. SYNC® 3 (913); req. Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System (874) or Rear CHMSL Camera (873)

Needless to say i am disappointed with price point on this To me it seemed more of a 3 or 4 hundred dollar feature.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:13 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,609 Likes on 2,723 Posts
Average retail on four TPMS sensors will be around $120. As far as computer changes it now has to look for a signal from 8 sensors, but that could be a very minor tweak, especially if the 4 new sensors are shown on the same screen as the truck's sensors.

It sounds like putting a topper on the bed would negate the CHMSL camera. I like having a topper.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:11 PM
PFG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

From the images I've seen, the CHMSL camera looks into the bed AND out over the tailgate. If that is the case, its going to be perfect for backing trailers/boats down a boat ramp, giving almost a birds eye view of the trailers movement and the environment next to/behind the trailer.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:18 PM
4dogdoc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I've seen, the add-on camera for the back of the trailer is a wired camera. Does anyone know how long the cable is? I've got a 40' 5th wheel toy hauler. Will there be enough cable to get up and over the top of this large a trailer?

Old 05-09-2016, 04:54 PM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
i too have a 40+ foot fifth wheel. I don't know this for certain but my bet is Ford is looking out for people like us. Also from what i read ford did away with the 4 pin trailer connector and will replace it with a small smart connector for this camera.

As for putting a topper on the bed negating the CHMSL camera, you are right, but any car audio place or do it yourself could probably relocate the CHMSL to the back of the topper. With some wire extensions you could have the camera on the back of the topper if you wanted.

Going back to pricing..If for TPMS sensors are 120 bucks then ford is asking 605 bucks for a camera, 40+ foot of wire and a smart connector...seems pretty steep. I can mount a nikon DSLR on the back of the trailer for that price. :P

Old 05-09-2016, 08:02 PM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got 2 trailers that I'd like to put the trailer camera on... hopefully someone will quickly release an aftermarket that's compatible.. I really wish the system would be able to accept more than one from the camera since I've already got 2 on my horse trailer.. 1 looking back, and 1 mounted inside watching the horses.. Would like to have the backup one hooked into the truck screen, but would also like to not have to have my current extra screen in the truck in order to keep an eye on the horses..

Old 05-10-2016, 07:33 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Just an FYI.
My toyhauler is 36' from the back to the nose.
The camera I put in had a 65' cable.

It was just long enough to make the pinbox

Old 05-10-2016, 10:01 AM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
makes sense. Definitely a lot of cable. How do you like being able to see behind your trailer with the camera you installed?

Old 05-10-2016, 10:06 AM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The camper package with the Ford approved slide in camper would make all the cameras basically useless.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:54 AM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
All of them? Or just the one CHMSL? Don't see how a in bed camper would make them
All useless. Please explain.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:48 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by fidel.medrano
makes sense. Definitely a lot of cable. How do you like being able to see behind your trailer with the camera you installed?
The quality is about VCR - maybe. It is nice to be able to see, but the video leaves a little to be desired, a vehicle a few hundred feet away - tractor trailer or pickup I would not be able to tell the difference.
More then 50' you can't tell the difference between colors.

My camera is a dual model. Nice to be able to see straight down and out to about 8' when backing into my driveway.
I had put side cameras on when I did the back cam. They were a waste of time and money, because of the video quality.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:48 PM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Love it on my gooseneck horse trailer. Can back up most of the time without anyone guiding.. unless I've got to be really close to something.. And I've got mine aimed in such a way I can see pretty much right up to the back door, so if I need to backup just a touch, I don't feel the need to run back there first to make sure I'm not going to run something over..

Old 05-10-2016, 05:06 PM
EightySecond
Elder User
Originally Posted by porthole
The quality is about VCR - maybe. It is nice to be able to see, but the video leaves a little to be desired, a vehicle a few hundred feet away - tractor trailer or pickup I would not be able to tell the difference.
More then 50' you can't tell the difference between colors.

My camera is a dual model. Nice to be able to see straight down and out to about 8' when backing into my driveway.
I had put side cameras on when I did the back cam. They were a waste of time and money, because of the video quality.
Do you think there's a chance of the 2017s having some better quality video? Seems pretty silly that it's the Most Hi-Tech Super Duty Ever! and a tiny HD camera can't be used instead of some grainy low budget cam. I ordered the 360* anyway and hoping for some improvements. I have been in rentals with the rear cam a few times and you are right, the quality is horrid.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:03 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
All of them? Or just the one CHMSL? Don't see how a in bed camper would make them
All useless. Please explain.
According to the information all the cameras are in the center mounted stop lamp which would be blocked by a camper shell or slide in camper there are no other cameras. What am I missing ?

Old 05-11-2016, 04:14 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 423 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by supeRobertduty
According to the information all the cameras are in the center mounted stop lamp which would be blocked by a camper shell or slide in camper there are no other cameras. What am I missing ?
There's only one camera in the CHMSL. It's possible to have a total of 7:

1) Front grille
2) Rearview mirror (for lane keep assist)
3-4) One on each side of the truck in the mirrors
5) tailgate
6) CHMSL
7) Remote to attach to trailer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cameras, cameras and more cameras