6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

How much power the 6.2L can get with a Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 12:09 PM
Tepot
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guy's,

As you may already seen some of my posts in other tread in the forum, I'm looking to buy a 2011 and up F-250 with the 6.2L. I'm planning to run a 6" lift kit on 37x14.5R20 . People on the forum already told me to go with 4:30 gears but i'm wondering how much more power I could get from a computer chip on the 6.2L. Actual HP is supposedly 411 Hp and 434 Torque. Would a chip give me a lot more power? I'm trying to see if I could recover the lost of power due to the bigger tires with gearing and computer chip. NOTE that i'm planing to get a performance exhaust system and cold air K/N filter as well.

Please give me any advise on what I should do, what upgrades /Brand I should go with so I don't cause problems with the already very good engine.

Oh and also, can i run 18" wheels on this truck instead of the expensive 20's.

thanks

Old 05-09-2016, 05:03 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
The HP and torque numbers you are using are for the Rapture not the SD trucks, the SD has 385 HP and 405 torque.

Denny

Old 05-09-2016, 05:39 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Check out 5star. they have some graphs and info on what they can do.
Link:
Got a 2011-2016 6.2L V8 Super Duty? - 5 Star Tuning

Old 05-09-2016, 06:31 PM
BeaverCrap
Junior User
A tune on a naturally aspirated engine, in general, will give a barely noticeable power gain... You'd have to do the tune, an intake, headers, exhaust, and run only 93 octane gas to get a noticeable power gain and even then it's not a whole lot. A performance camshaft and ported/polished heads would also help, but wouldn't be anywhere near worth the money.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:24 PM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
#1, forget the cold air intake, they're not worth the money. #2, get a tuner from 5star tuning. Might not gain a huge amount of horsepower but, the driving experience will be greatly improved. I love my 5star tunes. I would still look for a truck with 4.30 gears, though. The larger tires make it a very smart choice.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:22 PM
BeaverCrap
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tom N OH
#1, forget the cold air intake, they're not worth the money. #2, get a tuner from 5star tuning. Might not gain a huge amount of horsepower but, the driving experience will be greatly improved. I love my 5star tunes. I would still look for a truck with 4.30 gears, though. The larger tires make it a very smart choice.
How long have you had your truck tuned? My 6.2 gets delivered tomorrow.
I've been looking at tunes and didn't know if it would be worth it..... I'm towing a 9500lb. 5th wheel and I don't want anything to break..(just coming over from a 6.0) lol...Is the truck just as reliable with a tune?

Old 05-09-2016, 09:28 PM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I've only had my 5star for a month or so but, there are LOTS of guys on here that have them with lots of miles of use & I couldn't find anyone that had a breakdown that could be attributed to the tuner. I wish I would have sprung for the 5star sooner.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:04 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts

I think that a tuner makes a difference when empty but after you have a stock 6.2 under heavy load for just a few miles it becomes a different truck. After I've been pulling and disconnect the trailer my 6.2 is a rocket until it the computer adjust to no load again. I don't have a tuner in mine so I'm just guessing that a tuner keeps the truck in a loaded mode all the time.

Denny

Old 05-09-2016, 11:28 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by BeaverCrap
How long have you had your truck tuned? My 6.2 gets delivered tomorrow.
I've been looking at tunes and didn't know if it would be worth it..... I'm towing a 9500lb. 5th wheel and I don't want anything to break..(just coming over from a 6.0) lol...Is the truck just as reliable with a tune?
Leaving the diesel world as I have done, it is hardest to get used to a truck that you no longer have to worry about making it to and from your destination.
I would let the motor break in for the first 1000 and then get some 5star tunes. Just as reliable and much more fun to drive. Their tow tunes are great. I installed mine after the 1000 mile mark. I love it. You get a small discount if you mention you're a member here and saw their product on this forum. Congrats on the new truck!

Old 05-10-2016, 06:29 AM
rays250
Freshman User
I have the 5 star tune 87 daily/tow tune on my 2016 and it just makes it more fun to drive. MPG stays about the same & the shift points are diffrent so your not on 6th gear at 35-40 mph. Im running 35's with a 22x12 in rim with the 3.73 gears and a Readylift stage 4 lift 3 1/2 lift. These trucks arnt meant to be fast but the tune will help some what. Call the guys at 5 star tune their very helpful.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:16 PM
BeaverCrap
Junior User

Thanks, sounds good.... I've been driving it for the last 2 days and I really like it... I haven't towed the 5th wheel with it yet....I'm sure it will be just fine.... We're mostly camping close to home this summer with a few 3 hour trips through the Adirondacks thrown in there.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:34 PM
BeaverCrap
Junior User
Originally Posted by RainDesert
Leaving the diesel world as I have done, it is hardest to get used to a truck that you no longer have to worry about making it to and from your destination.

That's what I am looking for.... I don't have the time or money to have the truck in the shop all the time. That 6.0 I had was quickly turning into a money pit so I bailed before I spent a penny on it.

This 6.2 is a bare bones XL.... vinyl floors and seats, manual locking hub 4x4, roll up windows, no power locks or mirrors, but it has the essentials I needed which are towing package, 4x4, and plow. It's a pretty sweet truck.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:30 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
The gross hp and torque numbers don't go up a lot, but do some with the 5star.
But what you will notice is greatly improved throttle response and shifting.
So it feels wayyyyyy more powerful.
I love the 5star tunes.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:21 AM
defekticon
Senior User
Originally Posted by BeaverCrap
That's what I am looking for.... I don't have the time or money to have the truck in the shop all the time. That 6.0 I had was quickly turning into a money pit so I bailed before I spent a penny on it.

This 6.2 is a bare bones XL.... vinyl floors and seats, manual locking hub 4x4, roll up windows, no power locks or mirrors, but it has the essentials I needed which are towing package, 4x4, and plow. It's a pretty sweet truck.
Also looking at the 5star tuner as I'm picking up a heavy 5th wheel. I plan to have it installed when we take delivery of the trailer.

I wish the vinyl flooring came in my XLT, the kids/snow/salt/mud really do a number on it. Have the weathertech floor mats which is great for me, but my wife kicks it outta the way.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:09 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I like Vinyl flooring in a truck. its just the wife and I... but camping can get a little muddy..

this is my second truck with vinyl flooring with Cloth seats..

hose out the floor with a garden hose is NICE...

Quick Reply: How much power the 6.2L can get with a Chip?