General Automotive Discussion

Need a Part For My OTHER Ford

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 05:39 PM
n4aof
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a Part For My OTHER Ford

I am trying to find the mating connector for the Front Power Distribution Connector for my 2010 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor.

According to the Ford CVPI Modifier Guide "mating connector with blunt cut wire leads (part #14C194) is available as part of kit #14A411." -- but that number was never the full part number. The full part number for the "Kit" is 7W7T-14A032-AA. That "kit" consists of nothing but a plastic bag containing the connector and a single sheet of instructions. The part number for the mating connector itself is 7W7T-14C194-AA. Neither the kit nor the connector are currently in the Ford parts computer system (which seems odd since the Ford computer still has lots of other old parts that are no longer available).

The Ford CVPI Modifier Guide also listed the components to build the connector.

I have the shell (Ford installed an empty shell on the connector instead of a dust cover) and the Molex pins are no problem, but the "Connector spacer" is a real problem to find. It was made by Engineered Plastic Components Inc of Owensboro KY. Nominally the connector was a commercial item, not a unique Ford part - but apparently Ford was the only customer buying this connector. I have asked EPC if they know where I can get one, but I'm not very hopeful about a manufacturer being interested in a customer who only wants ONE of an item they probably last made five years ago.

Because none of the part numbers are in the Ford computer, none of the local Ford dealers are any help.

Ford's own online parts store fordparts.com does list a "connector spacer" with a number of 14A468 -- but rather than one part with that number they have several different parts at several different prices that are ALL called "14A468". Each of those listings is linked to a picture of a catalog page showing pictures of several parts. BUT it is impossible to identify the right spacer from the pictures, and none of those pictures have a number of either just "14A468" or the full "F58B-14A468-GA" -- there are some pictures I can be sure are NOT the right spacer, but there are also a few that might be the right one. The one that looks the most like it would be the right one, has a part number that fordparts.com says is not in the system.

It seems that the only source for this part would be a junk yard, but there are no junked 2010 or 2011 Crown Vics in any of the junk yards anywhere near here. The same part was apparently used on all 2010 and 2011 Crown Vics because they were all "Fleet" cars. Earlier civilian Crown Vic LX models would not have had that connector, but the Police Interceptors and Taxis did. Unfortunately I can't find out all the years that might have the same connector, because without the part number showing in the computer there is no way to look up the interchange. I do know that somewhere back around 2004 or 2005 Ford used a different connector in the same location for the same function; so none of the earlier Crown Vics have the part I need. If I could find a late model Crown Vic in a U-Pull-It junk yard it would take only a few seconds to see if the car had the connector still in place - but the cops around here just don't crash enough of their cars to keep the junk yards supplied with late model Crown Vics

I am hoping that some fellow Ford enthusiast might have the part I need or know where one is available.

There had been one for sale on eBay a while ago but that seller apparently thought his New-in-Package connector was made of solid gold.

I suppose it would be possible to cut off the connector from the wires in the car and either install a different connector or just splice the wires together - but I hate to think about trying to work on the short leads available in their location up under the dash. I might have been able to get up into that spot forty-some-odd years ago, but not now.