1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 F350XL Right Front Brake Running Hot

Old 05-04-2016, 06:27 AM
RRRAVEN
Cross-Country
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 F350XL Right Front Brake Running Hot

My 2014 F350XL with only ~29,000 miles is having what I believe is a right front brake drag issue. The right front seems to always be 75 to 100 degrees F warmer than the left side. If the left is 100F the right is 200F. If the left is 150F the right is 250F or more....etc. The highest temp I have seen on the right is almost 400F with the left being about half that. The rears run at an even temp and much cooler as expected. A guy at work has the same truck and basically the same mileage and his front brakes are within 20F of each other in temp. Interestingly enough if I brake with my hands off the wheel and at varying speeds and pressures I DO NOT get any brake pull to the right, the truck brakes nice and straight. I pulled the wheel last night and cleaned the pad ears and antirattle clips. I checked the slide pins for free movement/grease and the caliper pistons moved back free. The hub spins nice and free with no excessive drag. Drove it into work this morning and its still running much warmer than the left front......what the.........????? Is this a common problem? Is there a Ford TSB for this? Is it time for a visit to the dealer while I'm still under warranty? Do any of you have any feedback on this?
Thanks in advance!-
RRRAVEN
Deerfield, NH

Old 05-04-2016, 06:33 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
You're up in salt country like myself, so it's almost certainly brake dragging, either caliper itself not releasing fully or quickly enough, or the slides sticking. Yes, I see you cleaned it up, but there's not a lot of other things it could be. Possibly some bizarre ABS problem I guess (pull the ABS fuse and see if the problem goes away.) I've heard some reliable reports of problems with the rubber potions of the brake lines collapsing but have never experienced that myself. I had already replaced both rear calipers and one front by 30K miles on my 2006 SD.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:41 AM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RRRAVEN
My 2014 F350XL with only ~29,000 miles is having what I believe is a right front brake drag issue. The right front seems to always be 75 to 100 degrees F warmer than the left side. If the left is 100F the right is 200F. If the left is 150F the 250F or more....etc. The highest temp I have seen on the right is almost 400F with the left being about half that. The rears run at an even temp and much cooler as expected. A guy at work has the same truck and basically the same mileage and his front brakes are within 20F of each other in temp. Interestingly enough if I brake with my hands off the wheel and at varying speeds and pressures I DO NOT get any brake pull to the right, the truck brakes nice and straight. I pulled the wheel last night and cleaned the pad ears and antirattle clips. I checked the slide pins for free movement/grease and the caliper pistons moved back free. The hub spins nice and free with no excessive drag. Drove it into work this morning and its still running much warmer than the left front......what the.........????? Is this a common problem? Is there a Ford TSB for this? Is it time for a visit to the dealer while I'm still under warranty? Do any of you have any feedback on this?
Thanks in advance!-
RRRAVEN
Deerfield, NH
Is your hub locked on that side??

Old 05-04-2016, 07:00 AM
RRRAVEN
Cross-Country
No.....the right hub is not locked. Left and right are both in auto and everything is running free.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:10 AM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
No.....the right hub is not locked. Left and right are both in auto and everything is running free.
Just a thought. Last truck I had 11, 250 xlt, I had to replace the driver side caliper and the passenger side started sticking. I took it apart and put high temp permatex caliper pin grease on the pins and that stopped it from sticking. There is avery specific smell that dragging brakes make, if you don't have the smell you may want to start looking at bearings.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:12 AM
RRRAVEN
Cross-Country
Well I hate to say it but a "Super Duty" with only 29,000 and 2 1/2 years old shouldn't be having brake or bearing issues. I have been faithfully driving Ford trucks since getting my license and am 54 now and am starting to wonder why I have been faithful to Ford when the same or similar problems keep coming up on newer and "better" versions of the same truck. Super Duty in name only?????????????

Old 05-04-2016, 05:23 PM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Well I hate to say it but a "Super Duty" with only 29,000 and 2 1/2 years old shouldn't be having brake or bearing issues. I have been faithfully driving Ford trucks since getting my license and am 54 now and am starting to wonder why I have been faithful to Ford when the same or similar problems keep coming up on newer and "better" versions of the same truck. Super Duty in name only?????????????
Well, i guess you have 7000 miles and 6 months to get it to the dealer. Good luck with it, I hope you find some resolution.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
all kind of issues could be at play...

but water,dirt, RUST.... and NO superduty can live long with that.

Have a dealer inspect/service... but the most likely is brake pins are dry or rusting.

remove pins/ clean/ use high temperature brake grease/ assemble.

and if you do a search on this forum.. the SuperDuty is a strong truck and lasts...

fyi .. my 2012 still are using its original calipers at 142,000 miles. NO issues.. and not rebuilt.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:28 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
How and where the truck is used are critical factors in how well brakes (and lots of other components) last, not just age and miles. As I said on post # 2, I had replaced both rear calipers and one front by 30K miles on my 2006 SD - that was probably at about 3-4 years of use on/off road use at the farm, plowing snow, etc. I don't think you lucky guys down south or out west have no idea how quickly those parts can turn to a pile of rust under the right (wrong?) conditions. ;-)

Old 12-02-2016, 11:38 AM
RRRAVEN
Cross-Country
I am now at ~35,000 miles and the right side is ready for a pad change and the left side has probably another 35,000 in pas material left. As stated before the pads have always moved free and the slide pins are free and greased from day one. There are two technical service bulletins related to this:

TSB# SB-10054344-6582 and SB-10055357-4164

I'm going to have my local dealer look at it on Tuesday. I'll let you know how I make out. Unless you ride the brakes constantly a Super Duty should never need pads at 35,000. A guy I work with did his first brakes on his 2011 at 94,000!

Old 12-02-2016, 04:50 PM
Trophy_23
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did my 5th or 6th caliper since I've had the truck (2011). Not all the same corner, but I think this is the 3rd time for the RR. I don't get it, I drive the truck every day, it is well maintained, clean and parks in a garage. Seems to be an issue when you browse through the forum.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:37 PM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Remove the caliper & pads from bracket, then remove the stainless steel caliper slide liners, remove all rust from portion of bracket covered by slide liners, replace slide liners, pads & calipers.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:38 PM
wylecoyote
More Turbo
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
I had an issue last year, the right front brake would hang up but only when I had the plow on. You could actually smell the brakes, but only on the right side. We didn't get much snow last year so the plow wasn't on all that much, so I never gave it much thought, I should throw the plow on and go for a ride and see what happens.
its a 15, so last winter i had only had the truck 6 months.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:46 PM
Trophy_23
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You mention smell.... I have had mine absolutely smoking a couple times since I got the truck, RR twice and RF once... clouds of smoke and nasty smell.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:16 AM
RRRAVEN
Cross-Country
Like I mentioned earlier in this post. There are 2 TSB from ford on this problem (see the TSB numbers in my earlier post). Believe me, I understand that extra maint. is involved when you live and drive in one of the salt belt states but when the caliper slide pins are free and lubed and the pad clips are free and clean and the clip mounting surfaces are rust free and your still getting excessive pad wear or brake drag the problem has to be with the lack of piston retraction (too much residual back pressure?) either because of mechanical means or electronic from the brake control module? Since there are 2 TSB's on this from Ford I want them to look at it and have it documented and fixed. In May when I first noticed the problem with a young ~ 29,870 on the odometer my front drivers side pads were .380" thick and the passenger side front .230". That's .150" difference!. New OEM Ford pads are ~ .470" in friction material thickness. I first noticed it because of the smell at different times and extra drag with the wheel up in the air when compared to the left side during a tire rotation. I have been keeping an eye on this since May and you may have asked Why didn't I bring to the dealer sooner?!!!! Well, like many of you I use and need my truck and have commitments that require the use of my truck. Things quite down for me late Fall so now I have time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 F350XL Right Front Brake Running Hot