6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Slippery Slope - Cardinal 3850RL 5th wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 05:36 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 904 Likes on 327 Posts
I'm sorry you've had so many problems! I know I've had my share of build issues, that I have shared in this thread, now all resolved. We are into our 3rd year with ours, and couldn't be happier at this point. We camp on average 100+ nights per season. With regards to my problems Forest River stepped up, and repaired all issues under warranty - a full year after the 1 year bumper to bumper expired.

All makers seem to have their issues, and seems to be a crap shoot. Hang around here a bit longer, and Monty might point you in the direction of his thread regarding his fun with his Montana...

Good luck in your buy!

Old 05-06-2018, 06:37 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
I was going to point that out Dave. I'd take his issues over those that Montana is having any day. Good luck is exactly what might be needed jumping to that brand...

Old 05-06-2018, 02:27 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
In addition to Monty, Roy may have a comment on Montana Trailer quality. He's busy right now working on his two year old unit as I write this.

Bruce

Old 05-07-2018, 04:12 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by djousma
I'm sorry you've had so many problems! I know I've had my share of build issues, that I have shared in this thread, now all resolved. We are into our 3rd year with ours, and couldn't be happier at this point. We camp on average 100+ nights per season. With regards to my problems Forest River stepped up, and repaired all issues under warranty - a full year after the 1 year bumper to bumper expired.

All makers seem to have their issues, and seems to be a crap shoot. Hang around here a bit longer, and Monty might point you in the direction of his thread regarding his fun with his Montana...

Good luck in your buy!
These things are being made so fast that they don't even run the wire in looms, weld the aluminum more than a spot, and even put the J panel on with more than a staple,

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
I was going to point that out Dave. I'd take his issues over those that Montana is having any day. Good luck is exactly what might be needed jumping to that brand...
The issues I had were not just related to my camper alone. There were SEVERAL dozen campers with breaks in the aluminum frame that Montana set down on the Lippert steel frame. Problem is that they really didn't take into account the flexing of the steel frame and it broke the aluminum one. Now that being said, had they actually welded the aluminum frame instead of spot welded them, it might have a different story. But that would have required another 3 minutes in that station and they might have dropped one unit in production that day.

Originally Posted by my_crib_too
In addition to Monty, Roy may have a comment on Montana Trailer quality. He's busy right now working on his two year old unit as I write this.

Bruce
As Roy has pointed out, they cut a lot of corners.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:48 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
I don't think we'll see KingRanch 6.7 return here. I think he just swooped in to "save me". Nor does he want any "return evangelism" on his pending decision.

Anyway, I pulled my Cardinal home from weekend camping, noticed quite a bit of bouncing from the rough road. I've got 46K on my original ford shocks, so they are probably ready to be swapped out. So I hit Amazon online shopping for new shocks for my 2016. I took a look at the Fox 2.0's from the conversations you guys have had about them, but in the end, decided to go with the Bilstein 5100's again. I ran those on my 2011 and like them. Their cheaper, come with the rubber boot standard, and neither Rodney or Bruce have been frothing at the mouth over the Fox 2.0's, so decided to save a few $$$. For now, I'm just going to replace the rear's, the fronts take a bit more time, either working around the front tire, or removing it entirely to get the job done. I don't have a lot of extra time for more projects this spring, so I'll probably get around to the fronts in the fall.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:52 AM
System
Prolocutor
They call that a drive by posting Dave....

Old 05-07-2018, 11:26 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,991 Likes on 1,598 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
They call that a drive by posting Dave....
At least it wasn't a Drive By Shooting........

Almost done with all the work on the Montana........

Old 05-08-2018, 06:24 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
At least it wasn't a Drive By Shooting........

Almost done with all the work on the Montana........
Excellent Roy. All that rust....seems like I recall not this past winter, but the prior that you took a trip from your home in Montana, somewhere down south? I think all your winter towing might have led to much of the rust you are seeing? I know that I just towed my Cardinal home from Elkhart in February with relatively dry roads, led to quite a bit of rust on my underside that I dont normally see. Just thinking aloud....

Old 05-09-2018, 07:38 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
So, on the accessory front...my pet peeve in all my years camping has been dealing with ****ty camp chairs.... I'm talking about the folding bag chairs that hit you backside of mid-thigh, rip at the grommets, sitting up too straight, collapse at just the wrong time, and just in general last about a year at our camping frequency. My wife and I have both said that when someone comes out with "the chair", regardless of cost, we'd be all over it.

Well, it looks like that chair has arrived: Yeti Hondo Yea, it's pricey for sure($299), but if it's one of the last chairs I have to buy, I'll take 4! They were introduced in January, and aren't order-able yet, but are rumored to be available in the next couple weeks. I'll probably have to invest in a cable lock of some sort, as when not in use, we typically just toss the chairs under the trailer at night to keep them dry. I'd be somewhat afraid of them growing legs and walking away, but that said, I've never had anything ripped off while camping either.

I plan on ordering when they become available. I'll post a mini-review for any that are interested.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:05 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,686 Likes on 2,747 Posts
That chair isn't available but it's been hyped like it's the second coming? So it's a vaporchair? LOL

I know what you mean about crappy chairs. I've been on the lookout for a good one. Maybe this will be it, but I'm not likely to pay $299 for a camp chair. Hopefully their competitors will come out with something similar for half that price.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:08 AM
System
Prolocutor
Interesting chair idea. The price is stupid but nice chair for sure. I'll wait for your review and then go from there. Thanks Dave...

Old 05-09-2018, 02:47 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

FYI.......

Yeti told the NRA to go to hell recently......

Old 05-09-2018, 02:49 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by djousma
Excellent Roy. All that rust....seems like I recall not this past winter, but the prior that you took a trip from your home in Montana, somewhere down south? I think all your winter towing might have led to much of the rust you are seeing? I know that I just towed my Cardinal home from Elkhart in February with relatively dry roads, led to quite a bit of rust on my underside that I dont normally see. Just thinking aloud....
I expect that trip added to the problem.........
Corrected now .........

Old 05-09-2018, 03:05 PM
System
Prolocutor
FYI.......

RTIC usually copies everything YETI makes and sells it for half the price. Maybe they will do a chair for $150...

Old 05-09-2018, 05:05 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
FYI.......

I heard that rumor, not sure our unbiased media reported that correctly. Hard to believe for a company based in TX.

What I read was that certain discounts offered to NRA members were discontinued.

EDIT:
Here is where I read that: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ye...business-ties/

Quick Reply: Slippery Slope - Cardinal 3850RL 5th wheel