6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Slippery Slope - Cardinal 3850RL 5th wheel

Old 02-12-2018, 07:25 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 881 Likes on 320 Posts
OK, so its been awhile since I posted any updates. I received word from the motherland that the Cardinal is nearing completion of the repairs and factory PDI. I have yet to schedule a date to go down to pick it up, as I'm waiting for a break in the snow, as I cant get to my storage location.

Separately, I'm thinking about the Spring mods that need to be done. Rodney, I know you installed the Barker Auto Drains? How do you like those? The remote cable's on my unit are mounted really low in the water bay, and are always a knuckle buster because they operate very stiff. I'm about to pull the trigger on those to install before we start our summer bonanza.. and looking for feedback.

thanks, Dave

Old 02-12-2018, 07:56 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
Dave, I did the Valterra EZ valves but the Barker's are supposed to be just as good. I just liked the switches a lot better on the Valterra switch for my switch location. I'd say, look at both and depending on your switch mounting location, choose what works best.

EZ Valve, Electric Waste Valve System, 3" - Valterra.com | Valterra.com

Old 02-12-2018, 08:00 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Thanks Rodney. I agree the switches are nicer, although I might try to find something different anyway, as I'd mount them in the water bay, and something that is water resistant(rubber covered) would be good. What I like about the barker is that I don't have to replace the actual slide valve assembly to install. Do you know if that is true of the Valterra's?

Old 02-12-2018, 08:14 AM
System
Prolocutor
I think the Valterra is a complete swap only Dave. I had XLR do mine which is why I didn't mind but if I was doing it myself, I might be tempted to go Barker despite the valve style...

Old 03-06-2018, 09:20 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Ok, so I made the trip down to Elkhart, IN to pickup the Cardinal from FR. Since I spent quite a bit of time harping on the issues, I wanted to provide some equal time. When I sent the Cardinal down there the 1st of December, I had a list of items 30+ long, down to the pickiest details. Biggest items on the list were ongoing water leaks in/around the bedroom slide/nose cap. Yesterday, we went through the entire list, and everything, was addressed. FR went above and beyond in my opinion. For example, I mentioned that the slide covers were loose, could they be tightened? They were tightened all right, and they replaced all of them with new ones.... Oven door hinge appeared sprung, they replaced the entire oven/stove... They re-did the roof caulking from scratch on the front-edge where it meets the nose cap, and replaced ALL of the slide seals with the new style. The "extras" I had asked for, dishwasher, and bike-rack receiver were installed at no cost to me. The warranty manager met me, along with the guys that did all the work, to go through it together.

Of course, I'm still crossing my fingers on the bedroom slide leaks(It's been in for this a few times with no fix), but they tell me they had it in the rain-bay twice, and everything was dry. My warranty runs out the end of this coming May, but the warranty Manager I have been working with tells me to contact him directly if anything comes up. I have no doubt that he will take care of me.

As for the facility, all I can say is wow. they have units stacked up waiting to be worked on everywhere.... the warranty shop was right next door to the build facility, was hoping to get a tour, but didn't press it too much. It might be like the kitchen of your favorite Chinese restaurant, and something you really don't want to see....Warranty guy didnt have a lot of good to say about the quality in the plant though... the problem is they cant keep up. they had help wanted signs out at the road when I drove in. But the thing is, and I get that my unit might have been an exception, but that warranty work they did for me couldnt have been cheap. I'm sure like we've seen, that so many of the units go back to the selling dealer to fix a bunch of stuff, it would seem to me if they slowed down production a bit, and upped the quality, that the warranty expenses would go way down...

Anyway, just wanted to share. Hopefully, this closes the book on the problems. First camping will be in just over a month with a couple of weekend shakedown trips.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:40 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Great update and hope to see plenty of happy camping pictures as you get to enjoy the camper this year.

bruce....

Old 03-06-2018, 10:20 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
Great update and hope to see plenty of happy camping pictures as you get to enjoy the camper this year.

bruce....
Thanks Bruce. Me too!

Old 03-06-2018, 10:40 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Does this kind of customer service extend to all FR brands, such as Sandpiper? While it sucks that you have so much warranty stuff that has to be done, knowing that it will be taken care of offers some consolation, unlike having to jump through hoops for some other manufacturers.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:06 AM
System
Prolocutor
Dave, that's my exact experience with XLR. You were basically telling my story. Glad to hear it all worked out so well for you!

Doug, all brands are individually operated. So, some FR brands are great. Some aren't. Just like Thor. Some lines are great to deal with. Some are impossible. I'm not sure about Sandpiper... Monty seems to have a good impression of them.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:40 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
I was hoping that was a corporate policy. I will have to ask him if his experience was before being bought by FR, or after - when he's free.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:42 AM
System
Prolocutor
Yep, it's hit or miss. There are some really weak FR brands out there too.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:45 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Guess I'll spend the next year over-researching this - kinda like someone else I know and respect.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:32 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
Guess I'll spend the next year over-researching this - kinda like someone else I know and respect.
Great minds and all...

Old 03-06-2018, 12:35 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat

Great minds and all...
Or something like that!

Old 03-06-2018, 12:39 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
Does this kind of customer service extend to all FR brands, such as Sandpiper?
Heck no. I spend time, mostly reading, on a FR forum and there are Monty type stories there, all the time.

15 months ago, I traded a Sandpiper trailer that I owned for 3 years. Outside of a burned out interior light bulb, I never had a warranty issue or any issue at all. 100% just my experience but we had nothing but a positive experience with Sandpiper. Can't comment on FR warranty or my dealer because it never needed service.

Bruce...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slippery Slope - Cardinal 3850RL 5th wheel