Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Slippery Slope - Cardinal 3850RL 5th wheel

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slippery Slope - Cardinal 3850RL 5th wheel

Old 05-12-2016, 08:24 PM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
I think its the GCWR that will be close. Doubt Rear Axle weight will be an issue.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:33 PM
Karl4Cat
Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by djousma View Post
What does your Toy Hauler weigh, Rodney?
Depends on if I'm traveling with the garage empty or full. Empty, about 17.5k with a pin of 2850#. (that shows you that the 20% rule might not be always play...) Garage full, 19.5k with a 2600# or so pin. Much depends on axle placement.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:35 PM
Karl4Cat
Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
I think its the GCWR that will be close. Doubt Rear Axle weight will be an issue.
Yup, I'm way over that fabricated number. No one can explain what it's based on but I do know it means nothing in the real world...

Old 05-12-2016, 08:39 PM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
Yea, will have to go to the scales once loaded up for sure, although at that point why bother.....too late. I got the 20% from their doc. they say pin weight 2600, UVW 13559. Doing that math it comes out to 19%.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:40 PM
Karl4Cat
Yea, will have to go to the scales once loaded up for sure, although at that point why bother.....too late. I got the 20% from their doc. they say pin weight 2600, UVW 13559. Doing that math it comes out to 19%.
Their docs don't mean much and how you load it does. Load it ready for travel and hit the CAT scale. I was very surprised when I did.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:56 PM
djousma
Posting Guru
OK, its officially getting hard to wait. hopefully the hitch will be here some time this week to install. will get updated status from dealer this week on where our unit is.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:11 PM
Karl4Cat
We're here for you Dave...LOL. Start shopping for accessories while you wait. It will help pass the time. RV Lock Keyless Entry system perhaps?

Old 05-15-2016, 05:19 PM
djousma
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
We're here for you Dave...LOL. Start shopping for accessories while you wait. It will help pass the time. RV Lock Keyless Entry system perhaps?
haha, i was reading your other thread on this. looks interesting. No position to add a bunch of mods at this point. blew the wad on the new cardinal.....

Old 05-15-2016, 05:21 PM
Sailor_Roy
FTE Chapter Leader
Sailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputation
haha, i was reading your other thread on this. looks interesting. No position to add a bunch of mods at this point. blew the wad on the new cardinal.....
That's fine.........Use it and the ideas will come........

Old 05-15-2016, 07:58 PM
djousma
Posting Guru
yea, I'm sure I will make some changes over time. The Cardinal is wired for a TV in the basement to use an outside TV. Of course, they sell the slide-out, rotate TV mounting bracket/TV as an option, which I didnt spring for. I want to add that mounting bracket on my own as I've already got a couple of 32"-39" class LCD TV's. We often sit outside with the TV watching MLB baseball around the campfire.

I think, it is this one: Adjustable Horizontal Sliding Mount - MORryde Products

Or on Amazon:
Amazon.com: MOR/ryde TV40002H Horizontal Sliding TV Mount: Automotive Amazon.com: MOR/ryde TV40002H Horizontal Sliding TV Mount: Automotive

I've emailed Forest River to see if they can confirm what mount they are using in the coach from the factory.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:28 PM
djousma
Posting Guru
So, I need to have the Cardinal delivered. Called the dealer today, and added the "Outdoor Entertain System" to have the factory install the outside TV/Mount, etc. He's giving me the same discount off all the factory installed options, and then its covered by factory warranty too.

So, technically, I'm having someone else do my mods for me...

Old 05-16-2016, 08:59 PM
Sailor_Roy
FTE Chapter Leader
Sailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputation
So, I need to have the Cardinal delivered. Called the dealer today, and added the "Outdoor Entertain System" to have the factory install the outside TV/Mount, etc. He's giving me the same discount off all the factory installed options, and then its covered by factory warranty too.

So, technically, I'm having someone else do my mods for me...
Doesn't count.............

Cardinal arrives........Options...add-ons are all added up..............AND The Total IS.........$156,798.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:15 AM
djousma
Posting Guru
OK, back to hitch setup Q&A. It's not here yet, but I went to dealer, and backed my truck up under another one to measure distance from bed floor to bottom of pin plate with the trailer leveled. To that number, I added +2" for spring squat, and another +1 to get 5" - 5.5" between top of bed rails to bottom of trailer.

So the question is that 5-5.5" the correct amount of clearance for bed rails? I want the truck and trailer to be level, but also proper level of clearance too. RV dealer will adjust my hitch once the new Cardinal arrives, but I am doing the initial install myself, and wanted to be close.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:20 AM
Karl4Cat
5-7" is fine Dave with 6" being ideal. More is OK if the rig is level. Less than 5" and you can have contact a bit too easily.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:35 AM
djousma
Posting Guru
Sounds good, thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slippery Slope - Cardinal 3850RL 5th wheel

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: