1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Brakes... so many options

Old 05-11-2016, 03:44 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Or aluminum antenna grounding wire (heavier - holds bends better when transferring pattern)

Or... (don't ya hate that ;-) ) you can use '65 F100 rear shoes and get self adjuster kits (around $6 -$7 each wheel) and not have to mess around with occasional brake shoe adjustments. (depends on year of your truck)

Old 05-11-2016, 04:50 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
When researching the various options with a dual master cylinder replacement keep in mind they are not always "plug and play" and must have a full stroke in order to work properly.

What that means is, if they are not setup correctly you may as well have kept the single pot, you will not be able to stop if a line bursts.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:33 PM
wmcewan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugh.
Just when I thought I had it figured out...

I have 16-650 tires (on what I assume are 16" wheel?)
It doesn't look to me that this will fit a rotor and caliper.

I assume everyone that does a front disc conversion gets new wheels?

Old 05-15-2016, 08:53 AM
wmcewan
Senior User
Here's the inside of the wheel in case it looks familiar to anyone. Again, 16 x 650 tire, so I assume it's a 16 inch wheel (despite my ruler measurements).

I'd love to hear if anyone has used these wheels with the disc conversion kit and not run into any clearance issues.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:09 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes, that's a 16" wheel for tube type tires. Sometimes you can get away with running tubeless radials on them, and sometimes you can't. It all depends on how well the rivets seal.

Ya know, with your stated intent to use the truck for around town putts, I personally feel like you'd be much better off sticking with a rebuild of your stock drums, skipping the booster, and adding a dual circuit master cylinder for safety with an adapter. The 1967 Mustang master cylinder is a really popular choice for this. The original drums are no slouch. With everything in good working order, you can easily lock all four tires up in a panic stop. Installing a booster and disk conversion is not what I personally would consider to be projects for beginners. The kits get you started, but ALWAYS require a certain amount of engineering on the fly. If you're not experienced with this stuff, it can be a nightmare. Did I mention that there is also a handshake agreement between every aftermarket swap kit supplier to only provide cryptic instructions with illegible grainy pictures and generic diagrams that cover every make and model they make a kit for? So yeah, there's that too. Think it over.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:25 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
X2 BlueOvalRage's comments. The only real issue with the stock drum system is is single bowl master cylinder. One line or one wheel cylinder pops and your on your own trying to stop. Also many of the front disk brake kits require relocating one of the kingpin grease fittings. This could involve having to remove your king pins....

Old 05-15-2016, 03:28 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Agreed. ^^^ The four drum stock brake setup works fine when it's maintained properly. The dual master should be considered a mandatory upgrade but the rest is more of a preference.

The more you do the more you'll learn that there's a lot of things suppliers 'conveniently' (for them) don't tell you. And then there's the 'good enough for the warranty period' quality. On the flip side just be happy there are parts of any quality available for sixty+ year old trucks. Try to get parts with well known brand names attached when possible and remember that the farther you veer from stock the more you'll have to buy to finish a job.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:38 PM
wmcewan
Senior User
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
Did I mention that there is also a handshake agreement between every aftermarket swap kit supplier to only provide cryptic instructions with illegible grainy pictures and generic diagrams that cover every make and model they make a kit for?
HA! Well said, BlueOvalRage (Joe?) That's great advice - thanks!

Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Also many of the front disk brake kits require relocating one of the kingpin grease fittings.
Yea, I've read about that possibility too.
Having to drill and tap a new zerk fitting doesn't sound like much fun.

Originally Posted by CBeav
The dual master should be considered a mandatory upgrade but the rest is more of a preference.
Yup - that's the direction I'll go then.

I hope it's clear how damn appreciative I am of the support on this forum.
I'm having a ton of fun on this project, but that sure wouldn't be the case if I had to "guess" when I ran into a major question.

New list:
  • full rebuild of all four drums
  • dual MC and bracket from MF
  • lines and flaring tool from FedHill

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2016, 09:01 PM
JakRak
Senior User
Just to add another monkey to the wrench...

I don't want to convert to front discs, but was thinking about doing the dual master cylinder swap with power booster. I believe Mid-Fifty has the booster setup for drum/drum, and it seems relatively straightforward install.

I'm sure there is quite a range of opinions on whether or not the booster upgrade is worthwhile given the stock drums, but considering I want to drive the truck regularly, it's something I want to look at.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:45 PM
newguy399
Senior User
Originally Posted by wmcewan
Here's the inside of the wheel in case it looks familiar to anyone. Again, 16 x 650 tire, so I assume it's a 16 inch wheel (despite my ruler measurements).

I'd love to hear if anyone has used these wheels with the disc conversion kit and not run into any clearance issues.

Yes I used similar wheels and the two things I had to do is relocate the grease fitting in the king pins...BFH works real well have to get a punch and hit up from the bottom and have to file or grind a little off the calipers Ju at where it rubs.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:52 PM
AcesHigh
Junior User
Before you order a booster, be sure your engine supplies enough vacuum. I speak from experience here, and put the CPP master with booster under the floor in a truck with a cammed up 289. I ended up having to install a vacuum pump for another 189.00, and couldn't stand the horrible noise it made. Sounded like a guy with a jackhammer in the bed, even with a rubber mount system. Ended up going with the mustang master with no booster. This is with a 4 wheel disc setup.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:01 PM
JakRak
Senior User
Originally Posted by AcesHigh
Before you order a booster, be sure your engine supplies enough vacuum.
The OP posted in another thread that he's got 18 pounds...errr, inches of vac from his mill.

Sorry, wmcewan just poking at ya!