Has anyone made their own battery boxes

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:07 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Has anyone made their own battery boxes

I finally got all the wiring done for my Xantrax inverter. Now I have to add batteries which means a larger battery box. Has anyone made their own? I worked on a Newmar in which the owner did one out of wood that worked out well. Another option is for me to bend one up out of metal, but I am not crazy about having a metal battery box. I can buy one, but don't like what is in the catalog.

Steve

Old 04-28-2016, 10:22 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Steve - several on the Titanium forum made up battery boxes out of plywood when they installed multiple golf cart batteries. IIRC, fiberglass was used for internal protection. I had dual Gr 29 batteries and they were originally in some really trashed sealed boxes. These: Vented Battery Box | clancysoutdoors.com. They would have been great but the P.O. did a 'number' on them that negated any seal. I replaced them with conventional marine black boxes and added top vents to remove any accumulated and potentially explosive H2.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:19 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
I have not yet, but plan to. I think the biggest considerations should be the surface or area you are planning to mount or place the box on and the ventilation requirements.

I plan to install at least 2 6v LifeLine AGM batteries which can be mounted in any orientation that works for the space and only requires venting in an overcharging situation. I will be using steel slotted angle iron for the braces and then 3/4" plywood for the walls. This will give me the ability to create a box that works for my needs and fits into the space I would like it to. Additionally, a cut off switch and any wiring could easily be installed into the box.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:35 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I am doing a simple plywood box for now until I get my solar panels up, then I will go to a four battery setup also. Lifeline is good stuff, but pricey! It is a little bit of a juggling act as I do not want to use up my entire front bay for batteries.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:43 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
I am doing a simple plywood box for now until I get my solar panels up, then I will go to a four battery setup also. Lifeline is good stuff, but pricey! It is a little bit of a juggling act as I do not want to use up my entire front bay for batteries.
Yep - kinda expensive vs the 10 buck marine boxes.

You can always put batteries on opposite sides of the front comp't as long as you use connection cables heavy enough (4AWG or better). That will break up a solid mass in one place

Old 04-28-2016, 01:01 PM
Super Duty DJ
More Turbo
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
I bought a Century Plastics box for the upgrade on mine to a pair of golf cart batteries a week and a half ago. It is much more compact than the Noco boxes and fits the batteries well. They have a reasonable selection of boxes.

Battery Boxes (Battery Related Items) ~ All Battery Sales and Service

Century Plastics Ltd. - Totes, Bins and Containers

I used a couple of 1" wide straps to hold the lid on and built a custom vent using some 1.25" PVC and 1.5" ID Pool/Spa/Vacuum hose to attach to the factory vent through the front wall of the stock battery location. I still need to work something up to improve the seal on the box, but it worked well on my maiden voyage last week.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:27 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I am powering a 2000 watt inverter off the batteries through 2/0 cable so I try to keep the battery connections as short as possible. What I am doing now is just temporary to get everything working. Then I'll put more effort into battery boxes, but appreciate all the input from everyone.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:33 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Sous
I have not yet, but plan to. I think the biggest considerations should be the surface or area you are planning to mount or place the box on and the ventilation requirements.

I plan to install at least 2 6v LifeLine AGM batteries which can be mounted in any orientation that works for the space and only requires venting in an overcharging situation. I will be using steel slotted angle iron for the braces and then 3/4" plywood for the walls. This will give me the ability to create a box that works for my needs and fits into the space I would like it to. Additionally, a cut off switch and any wiring could easily be installed into the box.
I was looking at AGMs online last night. Not sure if I want to burn that much cash on batteries, but they are top notch. I always add a cut-off switch to all our RVs, makes storage and working around the batteries that much easier.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
The plus about the AGM is that they are "maintenance free" and once they are installed they should not have to be messed with. That is in a perfect world of course. Ideally I would like to get a bank of lithium batteries, but would have to sell both of my arms on the black market in order to afford them.

Trojan T-105

https://www.batterystuff.com/batteri...batteries.html

LifeLine 6v

https://www.batterystuff.com/batteri...e/gpl-4ct.html

Old 04-28-2016, 05:59 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot

I made my box out of 7/16" plywood which I glued with construction glue and also stapled with 3/4" staples. To seal the openings in the box, I just used putty tape pushed into the holes. This picture is without the top in place and the vent hose. You can see the inverter fuse without the fuse cover. Cables from the inverter and connecting the batteries are all 2/0.

Here it is with the cover in place.

This is the 2000 watt inverter install in the bay.

And here is the remote panel for the inverter and the solar controller.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:34 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Why did you choose to put the inverter in the bay instead of the storage compartment near the battery? I could see the bay location being safer from water/weather, but am curious about any other reasons.

Nice work on the box, it should do very well. Did you have to reinforce the floor of the storage compartment at all to support the weight? I have seen some of those storage areas where there is thin sheet metal and even a cut out for a generator.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:53 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Sous
Why did you choose to put the inverter in the bay instead of the storage compartment near the battery? I could see the bay location being safer from water/weather, but am curious about any other reasons.

Nice work on the box, it should do very well. Did you have to reinforce the floor of the storage compartment at all to support the weight? I have seen some of those storage areas where there is thin sheet metal and even a cut out for a generator.
If you put inverter in battery compartment, you have to completely seal it from batteries as safety precaution, per manufacture's specific instructions. Have never seen one in battery bay.

Didn't need to reinforce floor. If those floors will carry a genset, I guarantee you it will carry an extra battery or three.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:02 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
If you put inverter in battery compartment, you have to completely seal it from batteries as safety precaution, per manufacture's specific instructions. Have never seen one in battery bay.

Didn't need to reinforce floor. If those floors will carry a genset, I guarantee you it will carry an extra battery or three.
By looking at the battery box it's sealed by itself with the vent going to the outside. I've seen them installed inn the same compartment with the Batteries boxed and vented to the outside.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:12 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by scraprat
By looking at the battery box it's sealed by itself with the vent going to the outside. I've seen them installed inn the same compartment with the Batteries boxed and vented to the outside.
Done by an RV manufacturer?

Old 04-28-2016, 08:28 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
No and I wouldn't use an RV manufacture as the template to whats right in these RV's. If it's done right there should be no problem.

Inverter/Batteries in compartment - Technical Tips and Tricks - Escapees Discussion Forum

Quick Reply: Has anyone made their own battery boxes