Intro - 1950 F47 (F1) - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Intro - 1950 F47 (F1)

Old 08-30-2016, 12:12 AM
KirkF
Senior User
KirkF has a very good reputation on FTE.KirkF has a very good reputation on FTE.KirkF has a very good reputation on FTE.
In this picture you can see where I cleaned up the transmission. The original ford paint colour is visible on it. Anyone know what colour that is?

(note the larger oil filter that came standard on Canadian V8s)

Also note the visible bend in the frame on the passenger side, just behind the transmission mount.

Attached Images     
Old 08-30-2016, 12:17 AM
KirkF
Senior User
KirkF has a very good reputation on FTE.KirkF has a very good reputation on FTE.KirkF has a very good reputation on FTE.
I removed the brake master cylinder, pedal assembly and drive shaft.
The next step will be to pull the motor and transmission out.
After which I can work on removing the rest of the suspension.

The end goal is to get the frame completely stripped down, so it can be straightened and welded up.

Attached Images    
Old 08-30-2016, 12:52 AM
KirkF
Senior User
A short video of the engine briefly running:

(also my first youtube upload)

Kirk

Old 08-31-2016, 01:31 AM
KirkF
Senior User
Tonight I removed the engine and transmission from the frame.

Just a little more stuff to strip off and then the frame can go over to a frame shop to hopefully be straightened, and the cracks repaired.

Attached Images   
Old 08-31-2016, 08:48 AM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
The tranny looks yellow to me, similar to the yellow that the 55 and 56 engines were painted. Have you found any paint on the engine block?

Old 08-31-2016, 10:04 AM
ben73058
Postmaster
ben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to behold
Hey Kirk,
You are making short work of stripping that down! It still looks pretty solid. So.. How long
has it been since that engine fired up? Are you making any changes to it or is going back together stock?

I see a couple of other projects lurking over there on the side of the garage...What could it be?

Looking good up there in Manitoba!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 09-01-2016, 01:32 PM
KirkF
Senior User
ABE,

The beige engine and transmission colour is unique to the Canadian V8s.
(And I can't say I like it much) I have read that all the Canadian trucks were made with V8s and larger oil filters to meet the Canadian military spec at the time. The beige paint might be due to that, or because FORD had a pile of spare paint after the war. Who knows.

I found this video on you tube which shows the colour.

Kirk

Old 09-01-2016, 01:35 PM
KirkF
Senior User
Thanx, Ben,

Sadly the shop and all the other projects in it aren't mine. A buddy was kind enough to let me use up a third of his new shop for this project. I need to keep things moving or he will get bored of it and kick me out into the field. Lol.

I don't think that motor was started since the 1970s. The plate on the vehicle was from 1974.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:06 PM
KirkF
Senior User
Motor on engine stand.
I have no idea why jobs that I think should take 10 minutes, end up requiring a trip to two hardware stores and three hours.

Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2016, 06:12 PM
KirkF
Senior User
I removed the oil filter, exhaust manifiolds, fan, distributor, generator etc, and split off the oil pan.
No real surprises in the oil pan. Some sludge, but no metal pieces.

The oil filter however was much worse. The intake feed line had a nail in it blocking it off, and the whole filter was full of sludge and the lines were blocked by sludge. (You can see in the picture the nail that was inserted in the line held in my blue glove)

I have no idea why the PO did that. Maybe they didn't like oil filters. Maybe they had low oil pressure and wanted to boost it. Who knows.

Note the Made In Canada Fram Oil Filter. Like a lot of other things, that manufacturing has been shipped somewhere else.

Attached Images     
Old 09-06-2016, 10:44 PM
Corner Gas
Post Fiend
Corner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant future
That nail in the oil line is odd.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:49 PM
KirkF
Senior User
Yes its very odd. Its a perfect fit to let you block off the oil feed line, and put the fitting back on.
All I can think of is they didn't want to lose any oil pressure through the filter.

Kirk

Old 09-09-2016, 09:30 PM
Corner Gas
Post Fiend
Corner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant futureCorner Gas has a brilliant future
After my truck is warmed up the oil pressure is about 10 - 12 when idling but, going down the road the psi is around 30.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:58 PM
KirkF
Senior User
Continued stripping down the motor.
The valves on #2 cylinder were VERY stuck open. Which explains some of the backfiring during my attempts to start it the one time.

The oil pump is incredibly stuck in place. I can move it up and down about 1/16th of an inch and that's it. No idea what's holding it in place.

I've read some other posts where people have had a really difficult time with removing them.

I'm a little short on pictures for this part. I should have taken more.

Kirk

Attached Images     
Old 09-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Don T
Freshman User
Don T is starting off with a positive reputation.
paint color of trans

Mine is 51 Canadian Merc F3, 8BA, color of engine and tranny are similar to yours. The closest I could find locally was a almost gold engine paint from crappy tire. What is interesting is that under the gold/yellow paint is "Ford blue". This is a origional motor ,not a rebuild. Re your box, it appears the Canadian plants used what was on the shelf as many parts on mine are not correct but I know they are origional. Go figure. The oil pump will come out, just 65 years holding it back.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intro - 1950 F47 (F1)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.