2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

10 Speed Transmission in the Super Duty

Old 01-23-2017, 07:44 PM
Stalwart
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
With such a broad and flat torque curve there is really not much benefit to more gears. The only vehicles I've driven that effectively fallen outside of their torque peak were 2 stroke Detroit Diesels, especially when mated to automatics with 4-5 gears. Do we really need the complexity and how are all those smaller parts going to hold up to the torque?

Old 01-23-2017, 10:14 PM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd love a Direct Shift gearbox (DSG) like in German cars. No automatic is like it, no slipping, and better mileage than any torque converter trans, and no manual stick shift can out-shift it! Waiting Ford......

Old 01-24-2017, 11:37 AM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Received 382 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by workingdan
I agree, i see the 6.2 going away
Why? With 10 gears, the 6.2 will work even more effectively.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:24 PM
mjf6175
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree, i see the 6.2 going away
Agree with this...in fact let me put my fireproof undies on so I can throw out some "heresy".

All the talk about the 10 speed in this thread up until now relates to it being teamed up with the diesel. Maybe the 10 speed will only be for a GAS engine in an HD? And what gas engine you ask? Look no further than the V6 in the new Raptor which has 450HP and 510ft/lbs. Now I am not saying this is better than having a diesel, but those figures sure do beat the V10 and the 6.2L. In fact Ford could dial the Raptor V6 back a little (425HP with 475ft/lbs) to gain reliability and better gas mileage and put the 10 speed behind it like it already is going to do in the Raptor. Just a random thought.........

Old 01-24-2017, 03:48 PM
workingdan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kry226
Why? With 10 gears, the 6.2 will work even more effectively.
It would but the times are a changing. I don't know about a V6 in a super duty. Seems to small but that is the way ford is going. Smaller V8 eco boost would be sweet.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:34 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
I would have to lock out several of the gears while towing heavy as I hate a truck that downshifts all of the time. A 10 speed is also more costly and more complex. Having said that if it could have a triple overdrive it could eek out a little better highway fuel economy

The 5.0 with a twin turbo and 10 speed would be a good option for those that can't justify the diesel

Old 01-24-2017, 05:45 PM
YouDon'tKnowMe
Senior User
It would but the times are a changing. I don't know about a V6 in a super duty. Seems to small but that is the way ford is going. Smaller V8 eco boost would be sweet.
Ford did trademark the term Eco Beast and still haven't put it to use so maybe the new 4.8 V8 whenever that comes out could find some turbos....

Old 01-24-2017, 05:55 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by YouDon'tKnowMe
Ford did trademark the term Eco Beast and still haven't put it to use so maybe the new 4.8 V8 whenever that comes out could find some turbos....
It's being used.

Ford is stating that this 2017 Ford Raptor EcoBeast is delivering more of everything (except cylinders). The horsepower and torque rating is 450 hp at 5000 rpm and 510 lb-ft 3500 rpm of torque with a V6!

Old 01-24-2017, 07:12 PM
YouDon'tKnowMe
Senior User
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
It's being used.

Ford is stating that this 2017 Ford Raptor EcoBeast is delivering more of everything (except cylinders). The horsepower and torque rating is 450 hp at 5000 rpm and 510 lb-ft 3500 rpm of torque with a V6!
I did not know that and am now severely disappointed....

Old 01-24-2017, 07:36 PM
rocket_scientist
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BII Plow Truck
I'd love a Direct Shift gearbox (DSG) like in German cars. No automatic is like it, no slipping, and better mileage than any torque converter trans, and no manual stick shift can out-shift it! Waiting Ford......
Could not disagree with this more. The DSG can take up to 1.1 seconds to engage depending on conditions and it sucks. Though the new TDIs with the manual suck where if you bog it 50 rpm below idle it just cuts the engine power. Buyback can't happen soon enough for mine. (Wife has a DSG-TDI and wish she'd let them buy it back, too.)

Old 01-25-2017, 07:24 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Stalwart
With such a broad and flat torque curve there is really not much benefit to more gears. The only vehicles I've driven that effectively fallen outside of their torque peak were 2 stroke Detroit Diesels, especially when mated to automatics with 4-5 gears. Do we really need the complexity and how are all those smaller parts going to hold up to the torque?
I agree. I think a 10-speed trans behind the Powerstroke would be a waste. Added cost and complexity for tiny additional economy gains.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:26 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BII Plow Truck
DSG's are better suited for sports cars. They roll back, they have abrupt engagements, and there are delays when they engage. They can absolutely snap off shifts faster than any other type of transmission, but they generally would never hold up to the kind of use a Super Duty would require. They are also more expensive.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:29 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by mjf6175
Agree with this...in fact let me put my fireproof undies on so I can throw out some "heresy".

All the talk about the 10 speed in this thread up until now relates to it being teamed up with the diesel. Maybe the 10 speed will only be for a GAS engine in an HD? And what gas engine you ask? Look no further than the V6 in the new Raptor which has 450HP and 510ft/lbs. Now I am not saying this is better than having a diesel, but those figures sure do beat the V10 and the 6.2L. In fact Ford could dial the Raptor V6 back a little (425HP with 475ft/lbs) to gain reliability and better gas mileage and put the 10 speed behind it like it already is going to do in the Raptor. Just a random thought.........
The Raptor engine will not be going in the Super Duty. The 6.2L is much cheaper to build, and it simply is a workhorse with much less likely to go wrong. The Raptor engine is pretty strung out to get those numbers. The work-a-day F-150 is more realistic - 375HP - but those turbos would be spooled much more often just moving the added bulk of an empty Super Duty around. The fuel economy would be horrific towing 10k around.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:40 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 664 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Stalwart
The broader the torque curve the less of a driving impact it would be. You'd definitely see greater efficiency though.

There's an RPM point for every load condition that provides greatest efficiency. Too many RPMs The closer you get to that point, the more efficient you are. More gears mean the transmission can stay closer to that point. More speeds doesn't mean less reliability though...by all accounts the 6R140 is substantially more reliable than the 4R100 of years ago.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:00 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tom
The broader the torque curve the less of a driving impact it would be. You'd definitely see greater efficiency though.

There's an RPM point for every load condition that provides greatest efficiency. Too many RPMs The closer you get to that point, the more efficient you are. More gears mean the transmission can stay closer to that point. More speeds doesn't mean less reliability though...by all accounts the 6R140 is substantially more reliable than the 4R100 of years ago.
These diesels have so much torque they never really have to downshift much on hills. That's a very nice feature for a relaxing drive. Nevertheless, when you head up a steep hill, even unloaded, and the truck stays in 6th gear but the boost is running halfway on the gauge...that's when the most fuel is being injected. It would seem in the interest of economy if the trans knocked down a gear it would use less fuel?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10 Speed Transmission in the Super Duty