1990 7.3L turbo diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 02:58 AM
FutureFordTech
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 7.3L turbo diesel

Hello everyone,

This is my first post since recently joining and it looks like it has already helped me out. I recently got a 1990 f-250 7.3 turbo diesel. I believe I need to replace the fuel injector and the valve cover gasket. I was just wondering how hard those are to do without taking it to a shop. And I also have an ATS turbo on it, is that the original turbo it came with or an aftermarket turbo?

Lastly, I know it's a long ways down the road but how do you get the truck to produce black smoke? My buddy says if you have an old truck you can use crude oil but it's hard on the truck but the engine can handle it. Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Old 04-25-2016, 05:50 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The turbo is aftermarket. I think 93 was first year of stock turbo. I am not sure about the ATS setup, but on my Banks # 7 injector is the PITA to get to. Just about everything on the trucks can be done by you provided you have: common tools; some mechanical ability; a place to work on it. You may have to pull the turbo to change the valve cover gasket and injector.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:35 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hturner12 is correct, there were no factory turbos in 1990. It is aftermarket. You can turn up your injection pump to make black smoke. It is a great way to melt your pistons and look like a complete idiot while doing it. Seriously, it is a BAD idea and does nothing for you. You can indeed run waste oils in these engines, but be aware that waste motor oil destroys injection pumps and injectors fairly quickly. I don't know what you mean by "crude" oil, but do your homework before you put anything in the tank besides diesel.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:08 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Rolling coal is nothing but unburnt fuel. Unburnt fuel =$$$$ wasted out the tailpipe. There is no need unless it hooked up to a sled or drag racing it

Old 04-25-2016, 12:28 PM
FutureFordTech
New User
What is the best way to make the truck louder?

Old 04-25-2016, 12:36 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Why in your first post you want to roll coal and be loud? You must know some Powerstroke Cummins owners. I would be more concerned with getting the truck mechanialli sound. But if you must attract to draw attention to yourself. Thelsound come from the exhaust. Straightpipe it, destroy the bed and put big stacks on it

Old 04-25-2016, 12:54 PM
FutureFordTech
New User
I'm just thinking of stuff later on down the road. My first goal is just to work on the engine and get that going solid and then once that's done start doing cosmetic stuff

Old 04-25-2016, 06:27 PM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Straight pipe will help but if you really want it to be LOUD take that turbo off. It is muffling the intake rattle. Taking the turbo off will also help you blow black smoke. If you want to go even further with the noise, over-advance the timing and make some exhaust leaks. That's how mine was when I bought it and it was deafening. You will be at about 65 horsepower but it will be smokey and loud as hell.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:33 PM
Shawn MacAnanny
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ford F834
Straight pipe will help but if you really want it to be LOUD take that turbo off. It is muffling the intake rattle. Taking the turbo off will also help you blow black smoke. If you want to go even further with the noise, over-advance the timing and make some exhaust leaks. That's how mine was when I bought it and it was deafening. You will be at about 65 horsepower but it will be smokey and loud as hell.
This is excellent advice!

Old 04-25-2016, 08:07 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
This is excellent advice!
I second this!

In related news, I saw someone with one of these trucks who did this, either intentionally or not. He turned onto the highway in front of me and it took him forever to get up to 65, blowing black smoke the entire way.
He and I finally stopped at a light in a 45 mph section; the light went green, he floored it(absolutely massive black smoke cloud).
I just casually accelerated past him like he was standing still... With half throttle, no smoking and being significantly quieter. Not quiet, just quieter.

Seriously, for maximum power, you want to turn the fuel up to the point you get a slight haze of smoke, then turn it /down/ just a touch. You will get more power(NA especially so) without having too much fuel.
Timing will also have a massive effect on how much power, how little smoke and how things drive. Basically, just advance the timing until you start to lose power, then retard it a little(or vice-versa).

As far as noise goes, you don't want to be too loud. Honestly, it'll just get annoying. Some sound is fine, and I went for a high-flow Thrush Turbo muffler which doesn't seem to restrict it much, but does quiet things down significantly when on the highway. Of course, get it up into the 3500+RPM range at full power and it'll roar. Loudly.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:03 PM
Leroy Unlisted
Laughing Gas
^^^ i third that ^^

>>> here's how i 'roll coal'

Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2016, 09:39 PM
Shawn MacAnanny
Elder User
Originally Posted by Macrobb
I second this!

In related news, I saw someone with one of these trucks who did this, either intentionally or not. He turned onto the highway in front of me and it took him forever to get up to 65, blowing black smoke the entire way.
He and I finally stopped at a light in a 45 mph section; the light went green, he floored it(absolutely massive black smoke cloud).
I just casually accelerated past him like he was standing still... With half throttle, no smoking and being significantly quieter. Not quiet, just quieter.

Seriously, for maximum power, you want to turn the fuel up to the point you get a slight haze of smoke, then turn it /down/ just a touch. You will get more power(NA especially so) without having too much fuel.
Timing will also have a massive effect on how much power, how little smoke and how things drive. Basically, just advance the timing until you start to lose power, then retard it a little(or vice-versa).

As far as noise goes, you don't want to be too loud. Honestly, it'll just get annoying. Some sound is fine, and I went for a high-flow Thrush Turbo muffler which doesn't seem to restrict it much, but does quiet things down significantly when on the highway. Of course, get it up into the 3500+RPM range at full power and it'll roar. Loudly.
Haha I can definitely leave some black smoke from a stop if i want to but I think it's more from the bull moose and misters and only running 7psi. I'm running 9.5* but I also run a super efficient water intercooler so my intake temps are lower than air intercoolers. Eventually I'll adjust the waste gate for more pressure. I gained 1mpg running to 9.5 over 7.5.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:54 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
Eventually I'll adjust the waste gate for more pressure. I gained 1mpg running to 9.5 over 7.5.
I'm overdriving my poor little turbo; I can hit 20 PSI of boost now at 3K under full acceleration. The backpressure from my Banks turbo(TE06H) was so high that I was floating my exhaust valves with stock springs(bent pushrods a couple of times). I had no trouble at all when I didn't have enough fuel to get more than 15 PSI out of the turbo, but once I hit 20...
More PSI of boost = more power(/lots/ more power) But in order to get that boost safely, you start having to worry about headstuds and valve springs.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:29 PM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Excessive smoke and noise are the kinds of nonsense that give diesel owners a bad name, and these behaviors bring about legislation that none of us want... hence the snarky sarcasm. To be a little more constructive, stop trying to impress your buddies with visible and audible symbols of power, and instead work at blowing their minds with actual horsepower and torque. Start with ditching the garbage ATS air cleaner box and filter, and build yourself a good cold air intake. Learn how to time the injection pump correctly and how to adjust the fuel for the amount of air your turbo can push. Tuning on these things is huge. Once you get a taste for the potential gains you will forget all about wanting to make noise and smoke. It's just not that hard to get these things to ~200 hp at the wheels and out run a stock early Powerstroke. Make your buddies eat your dust instead of choking on your own smoke.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:35 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
And when they brag about their high dollar tuner. Laugh at them and tell thm yours a low cost 5/32 Allen wrench. Loud and smoke will attract attention from the man with the ticket book. If your state has a safety inspection he could be writing for a while. Smoke and loud and burning rubber have a place and it is not on the street

Quick Reply: 1990 7.3L turbo diesel