6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Would dealer update latest PCM strategy on engine pull?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 04:28 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Would dealer update latest PCM strategy on engine pull?

Question for those that know general Ford policy on warranty work. In another thread I saw that the latest strategy for my truck came out in late '09, it was under a TSB and was extended to vehicles under emissions warranty, etc. My truck was still under the Power Train warranty at the time. The time allocated to flash the strategy(s) in was .6 hours.

I was experiencing oil leaks that my local dealer could not or would not fix, so I took it to a larger dealer with a commercial service side. They found a number of leaks including the bedplate seal and rear engine cover. They did a cab-off and pulled the motor. This was in November of 2010. Nowhere on my invoice for this work does it indicate re-flashing the PCM, TCM, FICM, you name it, and the TSB is not referenced.

So 2 questions: Would the dealer have done this and not noted it, since it was a TSB?

If not, should I take the truck in and now Pay to have the latest strategy flashed in?

Thanks for your time and sharing any experience relative to my questions...

Old 04-25-2016, 12:04 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
I think individual results will vary depending on the dealer and the relationship. Most cases for an update is $100 around here.
If there is no issue and you're happy with fuel mileage and how it runs I'd leave it. There's a good chance you may get it back and your fuel mileage will go on the toilet.
Do you have access to a scanner to read what strategies you do have now? There's a couple of guys around here that can tell you which ones work the best together.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:44 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
I think individual results will vary depending on the dealer and the relationship. Most cases for an update is $100 around here.
If there is no issue and you're happy with fuel mileage and how it runs I'd leave it. There's a good chance you may get it back and your fuel mileage will go on the toilet.
Do you have access to a scanner to read what strategies you do have now? There's a couple of guys around here that can tell you which ones work the best together.
I agree. You never know if the update will turn out to be a flop for you or not.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 04-25-2016, 08:42 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
I agree. You never know if the update will turn out to be a flop for you or not.
Exactly....

For some it did them a favor, but for most others, they lost the power and fuel economy they paid for.

This is why I say, if you can afford the down time, send your PCM and FICM off to Ed to be reflashed to a more desirable strategy, if you don't plan on running tunes. (you can backdate via tunes)

Usually and to avoid the truck coming back during a large repair, they may reflash the truck while it's in the shop, sometimes without telling you. Back when they latest flash came out and most 6.0s were under warranty, there were people who went in for an oil change and their truck was reflashed without their knowledge. It also sometimes wasn't recorded on the RO either...

Read back on the boards and you'll see what I mean.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:38 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I had some work done a couple of years back, I had them reflash the PCM to that latest update. It took 15-20 minutes and I felt no difference in performance nor a change in fuel mileage. I still get a solid 17 mpg around town and 19 on the road without pulling.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:23 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by r2millers
When I had some work done a couple of years back, I had them reflash the PCM to that latest update. It took 15-20 minutes and I felt no difference in performance nor a change in fuel mileage. I still get a solid 17 mpg around town and 19 on the road without pulling.
It depends on what version of VXCF9 you ended up with, there are SO many flavors and some are better than others. MisterCMK has VXCF9 and reports the same thing you do, there are others that weren't as fortunate.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:25 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Thanks guys... No, I don't have anything to read what I have now, but it would be nice to know.

I recall when the Injector Buzz flash came out and specifically telling the dealer NOT to reflash my truck, and I know I don't have that as the truck is quiet on shutdown. I may have even asked them not to flash it when the seal job was done -- don't remember and it isn't noted. In CA there was a required re-flash for smog, but it only applied to mid-06 and earlier (you could unplug the EGR and not get a CEL, even on CA trucks of early '06 on back to '03's). A friend with an '04 had to go to the dealer and get that flash before DMV would register the truck for that year

Now on cold start I hear the fuel pump and the injectors buzz (I believe that is what they are doing), but I have no clue if there is one of the inductive heating strategies in there (I would prefer not, since we don't live or travel much in cold areas).

On the inductive heat question: would I be able to tell based on FICM voltages at start up (I use Torque) if something like that was in there?

Thanks again... Hey, I have an old version of Forscan, will it read the calibration info? I could update it and give it a shot if anybody knows...?

Old 04-25-2016, 12:37 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
It depends on what version of VXCF9 you ended up with, there are SO many flavors and some are better than others. MisterCMK has VXCF9 and reports the same thing you do, there are others that weren't as fortunate.
MisterCMK is a pretty smart guy I've heard

Old 04-25-2016, 01:13 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
I heard he drinks Moose Drool too...

Old 04-25-2016, 01:15 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
I heard he drinks Moose Drool too...
Well there you go -- that just Proves he's smart! Because that is some dang nice beer!

Old 04-25-2016, 04:35 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The latest flash that I had on my 05 would vary the turbo speed if idled for X act. of time. It also gave a CEL for eot/ect spread.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:21 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
I'm not sure. After all, you know about those guys from Minnesota!

Too much clean air, fresh water, and Big mosquitos. Nothing like a big sniff of smog out here.