BobbyT's Slightly OT new truck project! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

BobbyT's Slightly OT new truck project!

Old 04-24-2016, 04:16 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant future
BobbyT's Slightly OT new truck project!

I've been hinting at a project for some time now and I've slowly been gathering parts. This weekend I drug home the heart of the beast (that's the OT part of this). This will be a Ford truck....mostly. Here's the basic rundown of what I'm putting together;
1926 Model T roadster pickup body
Model A pickup bed
1938 Wide 5 front axle and wishbones
1937 Wide five banjo rear axle and wishbones
Model A frame......maybe

...and the really OT part of the build. This little roadster project will be getting a 327 with a 4 barrel carb.
Hold on! Hold on! just wait a sec before you start screaming and moaning and reminding me about how many times I made statements about putting a small black chevy into any project. This is no small block chevy. I'm going to be running a 1954 Packard 327 Thunderbolt straight 8 flathead....woohooo.

After getting the engine/trans home I've about decided to scrap the Model A frame idea. I just don't think its up to the task and I'll have to heavily modify it (lengthen it). So I think I'll fab a frame from a 1 1/2x3 rectangular tubing.

I finally have most of the major components in the same zip code. Here's what I'm starting with;

Attached Images      
Old 04-24-2016, 06:54 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
I saw a youtube of a str8 Packard with 8 singles and a Packard supercharger - I don't know how fast it went down the road but it scared the crap out of me sitting still and running
You got the makings of a S-H hotrod that will make folks run off the road trying to figure out what the hell they're looking at
Thrash on my friend and keep us informed

Old 04-24-2016, 08:25 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
toby tough has a good reputation on FTE.toby tough has a good reputation on FTE.toby tough has a good reputation on FTE.
That engine looks to be about 5 feet long. Is that an auto trans there too?2 speed- fast and faster.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:40 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Mervy49 is a name known to allMervy49 is a name known to allMervy49 is a name known to allMervy49 is a name known to allMervy49 is a name known to allMervy49 is a name known to all
Oo yeah, that's going to be cool. The motor squishes the tire pretty good.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:26 PM
Jules The Great
Elder User
Jules The Great is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Jules The Great is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
With such a long intake is a 4 barrel the best choice? seems maybe two 2 barrels might be better?

Old 04-24-2016, 09:45 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant future
Thanks all
Yea, this old engine is kinda long. The head alone is 34". As the package site there right now it measures 6'8" from the fan to the tailshaft....sheesh.
It is an auto trans. Packard's Ultramatic which is a 2 speed, well, actually a 1 speed with lock-up torque converter. In 54 they tweaked it a bit so its basically a 2 speed with lock-up converter. I'm hoping to find a 3spd manual with overdrive.

My original plan when I acquired my 1st Packard straight 8 (I know have 3 of them) was to build my own intake with multiple 2brl carbs. My other engines are only 2brl intakes. Since this engine has the 4br intake and the original Carter carb I'm going to run it as it is.
Its not a super huge power house engine, maybe 150 HP or so. But it was in a 5000+ lb car. Once I drop it in my little project it should move along allright. Beside, I think it will look really cool.

Dick, I've seen the video of the car you mentioned....Very cool. Here's a link to it;
Here's the video;

Looks like fun. My truck will end up being pretty long as I'm not going to bob the bed.

Bobby

Old 04-25-2016, 12:09 AM
v860rich
New User
v860rich is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice project, I have a 27 Ford roadster high boy, deuce frame, original Bell tube front axle, Halibrand QC, 39 trans w/Zephyr gears,Packard wire wheels and a bunch more old time stuff.
I built it in the winter of '63/'64 when I was 18!!!
Still drive it regularly.
By the way your rear end is a 36. Ford only used those type of radius rods in 35/36 and 35's would have a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern rather than the wide 5 pattern.

THANX RICH

Old 04-25-2016, 02:59 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Chicago Fire Patrol has a great reputation on FTE.Chicago Fire Patrol has a great reputation on FTE.Chicago Fire Patrol has a great reputation on FTE.Chicago Fire Patrol has a great reputation on FTE.
Bobby, looking forward to watching your project make progress.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:21 AM
JimG1098
Posting Guru
JimG1098 has a great reputation on FTE.JimG1098 has a great reputation on FTE.JimG1098 has a great reputation on FTE.JimG1098 has a great reputation on FTE.JimG1098 has a great reputation on FTE.JimG1098 has a great reputation on FTE.
Bobby,

The very best of luck in the build. Please keep the pics coming. Very excited for you,

Old 04-25-2016, 07:17 AM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
theodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to beholdtheodore/teddy is a splendid one to behold
This is gonna be fun one to watch!

Old 04-25-2016, 08:02 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Originally Posted by v860rich View Post
Nice project
By the way your rear end is a 36. Ford only used those type of radius rods in 35/36 and 35's would have a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern rather than the wide 5 pattern.

THANX RICH

Thanks for the info on the rear end. I'm going to convert to hydraulic brakes but I want to keep the wide 5 pattern. I'll also have to convert to an open drive line.

My progress will probably be a little slow as time and money are both a rarity. Thanks for all of the encouragement.

For the record, this won't be one of those ratrod type cars. I'm looking to go for a more traditional hot rod type thing. Sort of like this (but a little bit longer...LOL);

Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2016, 08:48 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
Bobby - another video - This is a walk aroung - The engine has two carbs and a dual intake - I guess I was/am confused as to why a duck and a pig walked into a bar

Old 04-25-2016, 08:59 AM
tinman52
Welder User
tinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputation
Cool project Bobby! Love the flat eight.....will be interesting to see it all come together!

Old 04-25-2016, 08:11 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
I managed to fiddle with the engine a bit tonight. I got it mounted better on some roll around stands so that it'll be easier to mess with. The carburetor linkage was rusted up. A bit of PB Blaster and I was able to get the primaries moving, the secondaries are bound up tight. I pulled the carb and its going to take a bit more diddling. I have a spare old Carter 4brl from my buddy's 58 Packard that I'll probably end up using.
I pulled the cap and rotor, blew all the crud out of the dizzy. There had been a bit of moisture in the dizzy but overall it looks good. The advance plate moves freely and the vacuum advance actually works and holds vacuum. I'll have to get a 12V coil, no biggie.
I pulled all the plugs. There is no sign of burning oil, the plugs all look good. The engine was running ever so slightly rich but the plugs are all very clean and consistent with one another. I put a little oil in each cylinder and turned it over by hand several times. It all feels really good.

It will probably take me a couple of weeks to dig up a coil, find some plug wires, order points and a condenser, etc. Once I get that done I think I'll be able to start this thing up

I can hardly wait

Bobby

Attached Images   
Old 04-25-2016, 09:16 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of
Bobby the engine may have come from a 5800 lb car but it looks like it was half of that weight itself! Have fun - this is going to be a great project.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.