1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

BobbyT's Slightly OT new truck project!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 06:14 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,790 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Here's some pics with the body in place. I had to crawl in behind the wheel and hit the highway for a road test. I bet I did several hundred miles Saturday afternoon. Yes, I was happily making "vroom, vroom" noises and running through the gears.

Bobby

Old 07-10-2018, 06:28 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
That looks pretty cool! But, I don't know if you noticed or not, your hubcaps don't match
Mark

Old 07-10-2018, 06:30 PM
SumDayDryvr
Mountain Pass
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks for the through the windshield picture...err over the front end at least. Lol

Old 07-10-2018, 08:09 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Originally Posted by 49fordv8f4
That looks pretty cool! But, I don't know if you noticed or not, your hubcaps don't match
Mark
What? dang I better put that on my list....LOL
I actually have the matching wheels/tires/caps out in the shed. The 40 Ford banjo has hydraulic brakes and the 5 on 5.5 wheel pattern. I'm going to convert it over to the wide 5 pattern to match the front. I'll also have to convert the front axle from mechanical brakes to hydraulic (I have those parts in the shed also). I'm trying to not think about all of those things or it will start to get overwhelming....lol

Bobby

Old 07-10-2018, 08:13 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Originally Posted by SumDayDryvr
Thanks for the through the windshield picture...err over the front end at least. Lol
LOL. I must have put 10,000 miles on my 49 before it ever rolled out of the garage. I think this one will be the same

Old 07-11-2018, 09:57 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm

Here's some pics with the body in place. I had to crawl in behind the wheel and hit the highway for a road test.
Bobby
That's some body Bobby!

Old 07-12-2018, 01:27 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Great lookin Pup but for God's sake, put a Shirt on!

Old 07-12-2018, 08:29 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So is that a bathtub right now? You may have the only hot rod where you can have a frosty beverage while bathing and driving.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:25 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Originally Posted by eman92082
Great lookin Pup but for God's sake, put a Shirt on!
LIfe is good with a good dog around (we actually have 3, but little Wash has figured out how to open the gate from the yard to come visit me in the garage). And sorry, when its hot outside the shirt comes off....its just the way it is

Originally Posted by topmoo
So is that a bathtub right now? You may have the only hot rod where you can have a frosty beverage while bathing and driving.
Didn't Little Feat have a song about that? something about a fat man in a bath tub?? Either way, its not a pretty sight

Bobby

Old 07-13-2018, 10:05 AM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When a dream becomes a reality…good show!

I don’t know how to convert “vroom, vroom” noises into mileage: you must be using a new-fangled GPS for that. Watch the flatulation; it may throw off your actual mileage.

And don’t let American Pickers get ahold of these pictures; they would be inside your garage in a heartbeat.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:03 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Here's some pics with the body in place. I had to crawl in behind the wheel and hit the highway for a road test. I bet I did several hundred miles Saturday afternoon. Yes, I was happily making "vroom, vroom" noises and running through the gears.
Bobby
I'm glad a cop making "whee-oh, whee-oh" noises didn't pull you over for drinking and driving!

Old 07-14-2018, 11:03 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Good progress to date Bobby ! It really is taking shape; when are we going to hear the "beast" make its own "vroom, vroom noises again ?

How is the '49 taking all this. Hopefully is not just parked at the curb this summer.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:22 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Tom,
Unfortunately I've been ignoring the 49, its parked out behind the house. I need to fire it up and bring it around to the front and get it cleaned up. There's a truck show in September that I'll drive it across the state to. I think this year I might even tow my old Jeepster Commando with it.

Well, after much application of frosty beverages and some serious hand wringing I think I have a plan for the front wishbone mount. I'll need to pick up some flat bar on Monday but maybe tomorrow I can start cutting and bending some square tubing.....more to follow. I'm trying to avert my eyes from the rear wishbones. I'm too easily overwhelmed so I'll wait until I get the front wishbone mount situated before I lay into that piece. When I'm picking up steel on Monday I also need to get a chunk of 3" DOM 1/8 wall tubing so I can start fabbing an open drive line conversion for my banjo rear diff.

I'm not sure when this thing will run. I'd sure like to have it driveable to take it to the dirt drags in Monte Vista, CO next June but there is a ton of work to be done yet.

Bobby

Old 06-12-2019, 07:45 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Well, after a long hiatus I was able to make a little progress on the roadster this last weekend. The hardest part was excavating down to it. Its amazing how much stuff get stacked on top of a stalled project...lol.
Once I got it excavated I pulled the body and bed back off of it so I could have good access to the suspension. My goal is to figure out what to do with the front of the rear wishbones. Originally the wishbones bolted to the torque tube. Since I'll be doing an open driveline conversion that won't work.
Another issue is that the engine and trans is so long that it overlaps the wishbones by about 14". Conveniently there is a large tab on the bottom of the T5 transmission that just almost lines up with the wishbones. So close that it would be easy to fab up a mount and attach them. But, after thinking about it for awhile I decided its not a good idea. I think that the pivot point for the wishbones should be approximately the same as the front yoke for the driveline.
Now my plan is fabricate a wishbone mount similar to the front wishbone mount. I have an old ball taken from a set of front wishbones that I can use. I'll have to shorted the rear wishbones and attach the ball mount to the front of them. I'll then have to extend my tranny x-member a bit. I think I can do that by making a mirror image of it and then welding them together.

Bobby

Old 06-12-2019, 10:52 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Well, after a long hiatus I was able to make a little progress on the roadster this last weekend. The hardest part was excavating down to it. Its amazing how much stuff get stacked on top of a stalled project...lol.
Once I got it excavated I pulled the body and bed back off of it so I could have good access to the suspension. My goal is to figure out what to do with the front of the rear wishbones. Originally the wishbones bolted to the torque tube. Since I'll be doing an open driveline conversion that won't work.
Another issue is that the engine and trans is so long that it overlaps the wishbones by about 14". Conveniently there is a large tab on the bottom of the T5 transmission that just almost lines up with the wishbones. So close that it would be easy to fab up a mount and attach them. But, after thinking about it for awhile I decided its not a good idea. I think that the pivot point for the wishbones should be approximately the same as the front yoke for the driveline.
Now my plan is fabricate a wishbone mount similar to the front wishbone mount. I have an old ball taken from a set of front wishbones that I can use. I'll have to shorted the rear wishbones and attach the ball mount to the front of them. I'll then have to extend my tranny x-member a bit. I think I can do that by making a mirror image of it and then welding them together.

Bobby

Bobby, Glad to see your back on the stalled project. But I remember you with Coke Bottle wheels not Ford Slotted D Mags... Are you trying to drive me crazy or am I loose my mind?

Quick Reply: BobbyT's Slightly OT new truck project!