1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

BobbyT's Slightly OT new truck project!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 11:25 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,831 Likes on 1,833 Posts

Another baby step or two...
I got the engine mounts burned in. Then pulled the adapter plate and bellhousing off of my mock-up engine and got my trans bolted up to my good engine. After that I was able to swing the whole thing back over the frame and set it in place....kind of.
Now I have to figure out a tranny xmember and pedal mounting. I have an F1 pedal assy that Bobj donated to me awhile back. I'm hoping to make them work.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:23 AM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Beautiful work!

Old 05-13-2018, 10:29 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
A bit more progress;
I fabricated a transmission cross-member for my T5 and now have the engine and trans sitting between the rails. So, on to body mounts. I cut a bunch of tabs out of some 2x3 rectangular tubing to be welded to the frame. I cut some squares out of on old conveyor belt (7/16' reinforced rubber) for the pads. I'll need to fab some tabs for the body since I'm not going to use the original wood mounts.
I also excavated my bed from the backyard and started cleaning it up and assessing it.

The progress is slow, but its forward progress

Bobby

Old 05-13-2018, 11:35 AM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am truly amazed that you have taken on a project of this magnitude and have both the skills and the drive to move forward. Thanks for putting your talents on display.

I look forward to when the monster breathes.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:43 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
I've managed to get a few more things done. I've figured out the body mount situation.
As I've mentioned I'm abandoning the original wood mounting blocks. I've cut out some tabs that will weld to the frame for the body mounts. Now I've cut out some rectangular shapes that will weld to the body and I've cut some pieces of reinforced rubber from an old conveyor belt as the pad. Tonight I was able to locate and weld in the front 2 body mounts, trim the firewall and front body structure to clear the bell housing and transmission. Now I can lay out the remaining body mounts and get them welded in place to the body and to the frame.
There is a small set-back with the bed. My bed is from a Model A, my body is a 1926 Model T. The rear body structure has a flared out area that sticks out farther than the lower valance section of the bed. I think I have several options;
1. chop of the rear body structure section of the Model T body (easy but not really what I want to do)
2. cut off the lower flange of the bed valance (again, fairly easy, but not the best solution)
3. cut off the flared area of the body structure and weld in a patch panel to make the rails straight....tons of work but would look the best in the long run....dang, dang, dang

Oh well, for now, I think I can at least set the bed on the body and figure out were it needs to be. This will tell me where the rear axle needs to be and that is my ultimate short term goal, situating the rear axle and getting it mounted so the project can sit on its own 4 wheels.
Bobby

Old 05-17-2018, 11:09 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Bobby, can you post a pic of the offending parts so we have a visual? Pretty sure I know what you mean......I worked on a T a while back, but have CRS!

Old 05-18-2018, 07:21 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Scott
I'll take some pics today. I didn't realize I didn't have the pics last night when I sat down to post. I must have got sidetracked when my neighbor came over with some frosty beverages

thanks

Old 05-18-2018, 11:32 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Bobby, you're gonna make me take another trip to NM when this thing is done. We gotta take another ride up into the mountains.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:23 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Bobby, you're gonna make me take another trip to NM when this thing is done. We gotta take another ride up into the mountains.
LOL, would be nice to see you again. I'm probably a year or more out before the beast is driveable.

Here's some pics of my bed issues. Here's the Model A bed, notice the lower valance. Its roughly 42" between the lower lip of the valance. In the pics of the Model T body structure you can see the bulged out area, which measures approx. 42 3/4" outside to outside. So, I need a solution to make the valance slip over the body structure.

Bobby

Old 05-18-2018, 07:22 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Okay, I see what you mean now, thanks for the pics. I'm wondering is the bed supposed to sit up that high or should those lower pieces hang down over the frame? If you want it up there I would shave off those bumps an replace with straight metal. I would not alter the bed. JMO

Old 05-18-2018, 10:10 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Scott,
Here are some more pics. The bed will drop down approx. 2" over the body structure.
I think I have a plan, I'm going to cut out a section of that top rail of the body structure and "pinch" the outer part of that rail in and weld it all back together. I might end up extending the body structure piece back to the rear of the pickup bed. I'm not sure about that part yet. I'll get this piece modified and get the body and bed mounted. That way I can reach my goal of getting the rear suspension located and in place. After that I can go back and worry about body mods.

Bobby

Old 05-18-2018, 10:24 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Dumb question......can't you just remove the rear body structure(subframe?) and let the bed drop down to the frame? Or is that needed to mount the bed?

Old 05-18-2018, 10:41 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Scott,
Yea, I had considered that. I thought about hacking that body structure off just behind the passenger compartment. It would be quick and easy but, I don't know why, it just doesn't seem right to me.
I'll think about it for a day or two and then plunge in head first and do something

Bobby

Old 05-18-2018, 10:57 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Might want to decide what height the bed will look the best at and the overall look you want before you start hacking. Seems I always rush to get it done then cuss myself when I have to change it back. LOL
On a related note, I started chopping the top on my sedan today after much indecision. No going back now....

Old 05-19-2018, 07:43 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Originally Posted by tinman52
Might want to decide what height the bed will look the best at and the overall look you want before you start hacking. Seems I always rush to get it done then cuss myself when I have to change it back. LOL
On a related note, I started chopping the top on my sedan today after much indecision. No going back now....
Great advice!! I do the same. What's worse, half of the time when I'm doing it I know I'm going to have to go back and make the change.....lol
Good luck with the chop. You have way bigger cajones than I do. I can't wait to see the pics

Bobby

Quick Reply: BobbyT's Slightly OT new truck project!