1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Oil dipstick adapter leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 03:55 PM
tasilium
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil dipstick adapter leak

Well it seems I have sprung an annoying leak at the adapter where the dipstick goes into the oil pan. I tried fixing it with a kit from Diesel Orings, but I really couldn't get the Oring to seat correctly, as the adapter seems to be warped, probably from the prior owner over tightening the pressure nut. My question is have any of you tried this product?
https://www.strictlydiesel.com/p-2690-strictly-diesel-dipstick-adapter-repair-kit.aspx

Old 04-24-2016, 04:18 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
The 300 dollar gold nugget! LOL I purchased one for the 96 C&C truck. A good product, just a little pricey for what it is. It takes about 1/2 hr. to install. I had to use a bead of RTV in between the 2 O-rings, like the instructions say on some trucks, to keep it from seeping on my truck.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:37 PM
tasilium
Senior User

The annoyance...

Old 04-24-2016, 04:41 PM
tasilium
Senior User
Originally Posted by farmert
The 300 dollar gold nugget! LOL I purchased one for the 96 C&C truck. A good product, just a little pricey for what it is. It takes about 1/2 hr. to install. I had to use a bead of RTV in between the 2 O-rings, like the instructions say on some trucks, to keep it from seeping on my truck.
Yea it seems so pricey for what it is, and the idea of the OEM adapter floating around in the oil pan doesn't excite me.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:50 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I also put one on and that thing in the pan doesn't excite me either. My truck only had 100K on it when it sprung a leak and tightening it a little didn't stop it. I guess I'm responsible for naming it 'the gold nugget', LOL.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:39 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
I have that lil jewel my self. Best darn 300$ I ever spent. Sure I could have pulled the engine,wore myself out doing it in a hurry over a weekend. I will be frank,my time is more valuable and I don't spend enough with my wife and daughters. Not only did I repair the leak but I played with my gals the rest of the day that I installed it. Money well spent in my opinion.and if it leaks it's two .50 cent orings and it's fixed. I was out of ih rtv and didn't have enough stuff to constitute a riffraff order so I skipped it. Absolutely no leaks since install.
That big ol dipstick adapter flopping around in the pan...no worries. It won't fit through the screen or tube for that matter. I did clean it very well before I tossed it in and checked with a mirror. I changed my oil at the same time so I had a positive view of it landing all the way down below the wind age tray.
The oil pans in these have a baffle that will not let it shift as well. Do it and forget it Toby!!!

Old 04-24-2016, 05:41 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I also put one on and that thing in the pan doesn't excite me either. My truck only had 100K on it when it sprung a leak and tightening it a little didn't stop it. I guess I'm responsible for naming it 'the gold nugget', LOL.
What really suxs is we had the mill out what 2weeks earlier?!?! Grr and only 100k... BS!!!

Old 04-24-2016, 06:23 PM
tasilium
Senior User
Well if it's good enough for Clifford, then it's good enough for my truck. Wish I had went ahead and did this first. You wouldn't believe the time I spent trying to get that Oring to seat, just for the leak to still be happening after I buttoned it back up. Not to mention the flange gasket that came with the kit was to small, I fooled with it for a while before finally shaving it down a bit with my pocket knife. I had I known what a pain in **** it was gonna be I would have just plopped down the $300 and been done with it.

Thanks Aaron

Old 04-24-2016, 07:06 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow that thing sure is a lot of money... however it saves a ton of time.

Luckily I read a bit and also had people tell me I should replace that when I pulled my motor. I bought the stock replacement one though and it was only like 25 bucks. Hopefully it doesn't eventually develop a leak though.

After getting my truck running, I found that I have a fairly large leak coming from the front.... I believe it's a combination of the HPOP gear cover and/or the 4 water pump bolts around the pulley. I didn't coat those with anything when replacing the pump because I didn't know they touched where oil would go....

Old 04-24-2016, 08:21 PM
tasilium
Senior User
Gold nugget is an appropriate name.....seriously

Old 04-24-2016, 08:49 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by tasilium
Gold nugget is an appropriate name.....seriously
haha, yea, sure is! But, I feel your pain on trying those stupid O rings in that grove. You have to be a magician to make that work, I tried twice with no luck.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:59 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
I got the same dang problem!! The nut was really loose to I snugged it up with no luck. I think I'm just goin to clean it up real good and rtv the crap out of it. But if you got the cash go for it.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:11 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

My 96 mule leaks but not bad. I cleaned it up and put goop all around it, let it dry then put a layer of marine tex over that. Works for awhile. The OX was dry one minute and pouring oil out the next. I tightened it up a couple times with no luck. It started leaking so bad it was throwing oil onto my exhaust and people next to me thought my truck was burning up, LOL

Old 04-24-2016, 09:22 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
My 96 mule leaks but not bad. I cleaned it up and put goop all around it, let it dry then put a layer of marine tex over that. Works for awhile. The OX was dry one minute and pouring oil out the next. I tightened it up a couple times with no luck. It started leaking so bad it was throwing oil onto my exhaust and people next to me thought my truck was burning up, LOL
DAH ha ha. I get spots on my mud flaps and if I'm towing a trailer it gets some too. I wonder if I ever get cars that are behind me. Hmmmn

Old 04-24-2016, 10:17 PM
fordman67
Hotshot

You ever need a drain pan for your undercarriage? That is when I pulled off the interstate. Had to brakleen the back of the truck. What a mess

Quick Reply: Oil dipstick adapter leak