fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts

It was terrible!!!

Old 04-24-2016, 11:01 PM
tasilium
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine was like that Aaron, I had a coworker tell me he thought my truck was leaking...I didn't believe him..went out to the parking lot and you could see the trail I left as I pulled in. Unfortunately for me I am still driving the truck with the leak to work everyday...however my first attempt at fixing it did atleast slow it down...however the exhaust, transmission, etc..all look like they have had an oil bath...

Now I guess I will shell out the $300 for the "superfix"...really sucks because I had just decided to go ahead get my turbo back exhaust...guess I will spend that $$ on fixing this leak...

Oh well...(guess I could still get the exhaust anyway, the misses will never know, right?)

Old 04-25-2016, 12:16 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I think your leak was worst then mine Aaron!

Old 04-25-2016, 01:04 AM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
My 96 mule leaks but not bad. I cleaned it up and put goop all around it, let it dry then put a layer of marine tex over that. Works for awhile. The OX was dry one minute and pouring oil out the next. I tightened it up a couple times with no luck. It started leaking so bad it was throwing oil onto my exhaust and people next to me thought my truck was burning up, LOL
Mine was leaking but not real bad. I cleaned the area around it and carefully loosened the nut. They I sprayed with carb cleaner to get rid of the oil behind the nut. Then I sprayed several heavy coats of spray on head gasket sealer, let it run down between the nut and the pan, let it dry for awhile and tightened the nut. No more leak so far after about about 10,000 miles.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:48 PM
kupiec20
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I was losing a gallon per day on my truck.
I have 4 obs diesel ALL with a nugget.
RTV on all of them....

Old 04-25-2016, 04:09 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sure looks fun!!! they are 300$ but man are they the best 300$ you can spend on an oil leak of that magnitude!

Old 04-25-2016, 04:41 PM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
For those of you feeling bad about the $300 nugget, I have a friend who paid a local shop $3,000 to pull his engine, remove the oil pan and replace the dipstick tube assembly. He was actually happy about it and was bragging on what a good job they did. I just listened to his story and managed to keep my mouth shut.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:28 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
That must have been hard to do Bob!

4 psd's and 4 nuggets, LOL Not funny really but Bob's story is a nightmare!

Old 04-25-2016, 08:17 PM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Flexseal!! What didn't I think of that earlier. If it can seal up a screen door cut into the bottom of a boat then it sure as heck can seal up a small oil leak.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:55 AM
tasilium
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bob_T
For those of you feeling bad about the $300 nugget, I have a friend who paid a local shop $3,000 to pull his engine, remove the oil pan and replace the dipstick tube assembly. He was actually happy about it and was bragging on what a good job they did. I just listened to his story and managed to keep my mouth shut.
Yea i absolutely refuse to drop 3 Grand into this particular problem...if I had the engine out for another reason, sure pop on a new oil stick adapter. $300 sounds considerably more reasonable, however the $50 kit I got from Diesel Orings sounded an even better deal, unfortunately for me I think the previous owners answer to this problem had been over tightening the nut, thus warping the OEM adapter...looks like I need to get off my but and order the "nugget"...

I will say my leak has went from unbearable flood of oil, to at an almost acceptable slow drip. So the $50 kit has managed to do something for me.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:50 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tasilium
Yea i absolutely refuse to drop 3 Grand into this particular problem...if I had the engine out for another reason, sure pop on a new oil stick adapter. $300 sounds considerably more reasonable, however the $50 kit I got from Diesel Orings sounded an even better deal, unfortunately for me I think the previous owners answer to this problem had been over tightening the nut, thus warping the OEM adapter...looks like I need to get off my but and order the "nugget"...

I will say my leak has went from unbearable flood of oil, to at an almost acceptable slow drip. So the $50 kit has managed to do something for me.

I completely understand. I do not know how many 7.3s i put those little 300$ turds on. The common fix is a boat plug one they drop in. Shoot mine is still in the pan until the motor needs to come out.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:40 AM
tasilium
Senior User
Well...tired of fooling with it, just ordered the gold nugget...$299 could have went to more fun stuff on the truck...but at least this problem will be solved soon..

Old 05-04-2016, 12:35 AM
tasilium
Senior User
This is for those folks who don't already have the "gold nugget" on their trucks, mine came today, and as most of the pics online only show one side I thought I would put a couple of pics up what the thing looks like. Personally I had wondered it worked and would be installed, directions weren't available online and pics of the backside weren't either.

*Note I haven't installed it yet, but it seems fairly straightforward.

1. One of the bolts is welded on you should see it in the pics..

2..HUGE DISCLAIMER...I feel guilty posting pics on this forum of a package that isn't a "YELLOW TAPED BOX"...Riffraff I apologize I feel as though I have cheated.

The contents, a sticker, keychain, the adapter, and an oring for the dipstick tube. (not pictured, the instruction pages)

The backside

The front

Note the welded bolt

Not trying to bore anyone, just thought I would share what $299 gets ya, and maybe it will help someone else who is on the fence about getting one of these.

It is definitely an upgrade on the OEM....

Hopefully I can start spending some $$ on the upgrades that I actually want...this just took the place of my turbo back exhaust ... oh well, guess that is the next expenditure....

Old 05-04-2016, 11:39 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I just was going to ask if it would possible to upload some pics of that golden piece. Thanks to share them.

Rep sent.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:54 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 865 Likes on 659 Posts
only leak that wont be fixed is if your pan is warped a bit, no pressure on top or bottom to seal tight

welded bolt end is so you don't unscrew it all the way and have it end up in the pan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil dipstick adapter leak