Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

New glow plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 02:32 PM
skoto1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New glow plugs

Bought new Beru glow plus installed them and now my regulator won't cycle. It will start if you start it everyday but the glow plug regulator won't cycle like it did before. use to click 42 times before it would start and now nothing.
I believe I probably need injectors also if i don't start it everyday it loses prime i believe and won't start. Also smokes blue smoke and puffs it out the exhaust until it gets warm and starts idling smooth. still will smoke but very lite, very strong diesel smell. What do you experienced guys think?

Old 04-23-2016, 03:04 PM
Phy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Start by troubleshooting the glow plug system. The sticky threads at the top of this forum will help.
Then search the forum for air intrusion. That will get you tons of info on losing prime.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:10 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Is it a 6.9l 1985? you have a glow plug controller screwed in at the back of the block on top. If it's bad the glow plugs won't come on. Pull it out and take a look at it.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:10 PM
Forddiesel17
Senior User
1. The glow plug relay should not click 42 times. That clicking was the controller short cycling because there were glow plugs burnt out. Since you replaced the plugs it should not do that.
2. The wait to start light should come on for 10 sec or so and go out. This is when you start the truck. The controller will short cycle the plugs after the light goes out to help with smoothing out the idle when cold and reduce smoke.

Sounds like you need to replace the return lines between the injectors and that should solve the air intrusion issues.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:17 PM
skoto1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Forddiesel17
1. The glow plug relay should not click 42 times. That clicking was the controller short cycling because there were glow plugs burnt out. Since you replaced the plugs it should not do that.
2. The wait to start light should come on for 10 sec or so and go out. This is when you start the truck. The controller will short cycle the plugs after the light goes out to help with smoothing out the idle when cold and reduce smoke.

Sounds like you need to replace the return lines between the injectors and that should solve the air intrusion issues.
The return lines all look good. My wait to start light has never come on. so it is probably bad. No clicking at all from the relay now. But the truck will start after I wait a few seconds. I just noticed what i think is the fuel heater leaking. Maybe my problem smokes something awful when it first starts. Just installed the motor made about a 80 mile round trip with the truck and it still smokes terrible when you first start it. This engine had sat for about a year.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:20 PM
skoto1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Is it a 6.9l 1985? you have a glow plug controller screwed in at the back of the block on top. If it's bad the glow plugs won't come on. Pull it out and take a look at it.
Not sure bought it as a 7.3. but no labels on it and don't know how to tell them apart. my fuel filter is on the drivers side instead of on the passengers side like i see in most posts.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:28 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
first thing to do is get a 12 volt led and wire it into the glow plug relay output. this way you will see when the glow plugs are getting power. once the led goes out start the truck.
just because you do not see a fuel leak on the return lines or caps does not mean air is not leaking in. air molecules are smaller than fuel molecules. so you can have an air intrusion problem but not a fuel leak.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:23 PM
skoto1
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
first thing to do is get a 12 volt led and wire it into the glow plug relay output. this way you will see when the glow plugs are getting power. once the led goes out start the truck.
just because you do not see a fuel leak on the return lines or caps does not mean air is not leaking in. air molecules are smaller than fuel molecules. so you can have an air intrusion problem but not a fuel leak.
Thanks for the info. Don't know where the relay output is but i'll google it. I just count to 15 and it starts. really warm today started almost instantly and almost no smoke at startup compared to what it usually does.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:03 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
What year truck?

Where is the GP relay located?

Old 04-25-2016, 02:11 PM
skoto1
Senior User
Originally Posted by madpogue
What year truck?

Where is the GP relay located?
on top of engine behind the breather. Not sure what year engine bought off an individual who bought it to go in his truck but sold the truck to the guy i bought it from and that guy went with a 460. Was bought out of a wrecked truck but he didn't tell me what year. has sat for at least a year in his shop. Just doesn't seem to have a lot of power on hills don't know even if it's a 7.3 or a 6.9?

Old 04-25-2016, 02:31 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Look on the top of the block, up front, just behind the injection pump, there should be a number stamped. That will help identify the engine, and at least a ball-park of what year.

What year truck?

Old 04-25-2016, 06:11 PM
skoto1
Senior User
Engine looks like it's a 94 the truck is a 89

Old 05-07-2016, 07:08 PM
skoto1
Senior User
Ok replaces all my lines and orings and caps. still hard start and when it does it smokes like a freight train for about 10 mins and then clears some but still puffs smoke like Indian signals. but after a while not bad. Think maybe injectors are dripping? Only one way to tell i guess is to pop test um?? After it gets warm it'll start all day no problems except for the light smoke. look like oil but smells like diesel.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:43 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by skoto1
Ok replaces all my lines and orings and caps. still hard start and when it does it smokes like a freight train for about 10 mins and then clears some but still puffs smoke like Indian signals. but after a while not bad. Think maybe injectors are dripping? Only one way to tell i guess is to pop test um?? After it gets warm it'll start all day no problems except for the light smoke. look like oil but smells like diesel.
Make sure the cold advance is working. When cold, if you unplug the /rear/ wire on the IP, does the sound change? If not, that's your problem.

Check to make sure you didn't disconnect the engine temp switch - it's located just behind the upper radiator hose connection, next to the alternator. it's a two-prong plug that connects into a switch in the head.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:00 PM
skoto1
Senior User
What sound should I hear or be listening for? If I keep it plugged in it will start really quick. Just installed new glow plugs but it acts like it looses it's prime. Replacing the oil regulator right now keep blowing oil filter o rings and the valve was stuck closed. So I won't be trying to start it now until next week when I get that sorted out.

Quick Reply: New glow plugs