Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3L gauges - where to tap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 06:19 PM
Jim Timber
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3L gauges - where to tap?

I've got boost and EGT I'm not sure where to put the sensors?

I've also got electric trans temp, but I know that one goes in the test port on the passenger side of the trans.

F650 manual trans dash thanks to Autonation (being local to them is really nice). Took a little cutting on the support structure to make room for the third gauge, but nothing noteworthy in difficulty. I used a pneumatic reciprocating saw to cut it out (same thing you should use if you do the '05 light conversion on the older trucks) and it went super quick and painless.

This has also been painted with Dupli Color Vinyl and Fabric paint, and doesn't look as "off" in person as it does in the pic. I shot my trash hook and cup holder to make them all match. I'm not sure I'll bother doing anything else with them as it really is close enough (for me).

Old 04-21-2016, 07:04 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
EGT into the driver's side exhaust manifold in the elbow nearest the firewall. Boost could go a couple of places, mine is T'd off of the hose near the MAP sensor, others put it where the AIH is when they delete it.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:08 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Just like Walleye said, EGT in the drivers side manifold (a lot of pictures on FTE) and boost in the AIH port with a RiffRaff adapter.

You will have to dig for them, but I have pictures of both in my thread from the holiday modification extravaganza.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-planning.html

Old 04-21-2016, 07:24 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I put my boost sensor in an AIH delete plug from Clay:

Electronic boost sensor

For the EGT probe, I drilled and tapped here:
(This image is from the Diesel Manor website where I also followed their probe installation procedure)

pyro location psd
By the way, for the uninitiated like myself, the thought of drilling and tapping the manifold seemed daunting, but in fact was the easiest part of the entire gauge installation.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:25 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by binuya
By the way, for the uninitiated like myself, the thought of drilling and tapping the manifold seemed daunting, but in fact was the easiest part of the entire gauge installation.
So very true! When I crawled under the truck to drill a hole in the manifold, I literally laid there for a moment, took some deep breaths, said a bit of a prayer and pressed on very slowly being sure to not make a mistake. Getting the tap started was the worst part, but constant, slow and sure pressure got the job done. Just remember that the tap does not need to go all the way into the manifold, just far enough to get the probe a good bite and stay in place.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:02 AM
Jim Timber
Senior User
I'm a machinist, so threading NPT is old hat (I've got tapered reamers up to 3/4").

What concerns me is the chips in the manifold from drilling and tapping. You guys don't let that fly up through the turbo, do you?

I don't know what AIH stands for, so I guess I've got more googling to do.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:06 AM
Jim Timber
Senior User
Air Intake Heater. Being in Minnesota, I'll delete that right after I delete my glow plugs.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:37 AM
Baatzy
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Jim, you can delete the AIH if you want, it has such strict conditions for turning it on that its kinda a "once in a blue moon" thing. I plan on deleting mine in the future when I purchase a boost gauge.

Baatzy

Old 04-22-2016, 12:43 AM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Timber

What concerns me is the chips in the manifold from drilling and tapping. You guys don't let that fly up through the turbo, do you?
Most will say to drill it and not worry about it. The turbine blades are much tougher than the compressor blades and any chips will just pass through without harm once you start it. Me? Being overly cautious, I stuck my shop vac in there to suck out any chips. Due to the position of the hole and the drilling angle, most will fall downward anyway. Use safety glasses!

Old 04-22-2016, 01:00 AM
Jim Timber
Senior User
My tractor's got a AIH instead of glow plugs. I use that thing all the time unless the engine's already warm. There's no grid power, so the block heater's never been used.

Getting a chip behind the turbine would concern me more than the impact of sending them through it. I suppose a magnet up the hole would collect the majority of them.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:17 AM
Baatzy
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not saying the AIH is useless, I know it is used well in many other applications. However as far as the AIH on our trucks go, unless you manually turn it on, its about useless. The PCM has a very strict set of conditions for turning on the AIH and they are really only met "once in a blue moon". Many people delete it because of this, and it makes a very convenient place to tap in for boost.

I am willing to bet in the 3.5 years I have had my truck, my AIH has only kicked on a handful of times. If for some reason I do find out that the AIH has an effect on cold weather performance, it will be hooked up to a switch so I can control it manually. The only benefit I am possibly hoping to see from the AIH is a reduction of smoke on a cold start.

Baatzy

Old 04-22-2016, 01:36 AM
Jim Timber
Senior User
Being able to manually turn it on when it's -20F would be a good idea.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:12 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
The AIH is a useless device for 95% of the time. See the required conditions below.

The purpose of this product is to remove the restrictive Air Intake Heater from the intake air flow. Removing the AIH coil will not affect cold start up in any conditions. The PCM only commands the AIH to activate to reduce white smoke during extended long idle periods at low ambient temperatures. Specific conditions must be present before the heater is activated per Ford:

Ambient temperature must be below 32°F
Engine oil temperature (EOT) must be below 131°F
Vehicle power must remain between 11.5 and 15.0 volts
Parking brake must be applied
The transmission must be in Park or Neutral
Glow plugs must be off

Reference post:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10944278

Old 04-22-2016, 07:53 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I think the parking break thing only applies on manual transmissions.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:00 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
AIH was not used in the E99's, it was implemented in the L99's and up. My E99 doesn't seem to know it's missing and I have no intentions of adding it. And I don't know what makes me think it but Sous's parameters there enforce the notion that the AIH comes on when the truck is already running but at idle.

Quick Reply: 7.3L gauges - where to tap?