1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

No Start No oil pressure at Head Galley

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:56 PM
killforfood
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Start No oil pressure at Head Galley

I'm working on a 95 that blew an o-ring out of the HPOP rear plug. Of course we yarded out the HPOP before we discovered it was a simple fix. We replaced the o-rings on the plug and High pressure fittings. I was careful not to lose the springs under the high pressure fittings. I didn't see anything under the plug (not the so called "non serviceable" plug) that could've fallen out. Is there a check ball or anything behind that plug? We didn't mess with the IPR or non serviceable plug. We put it all back together and after the usual long cranking session, we don't even get exhaust smoke. So I put a pressure gage one the head oil galley and get zero pressure. So it comes dow to "what did WE do wrong? This has to be one of those self caused problems. Any suggestions. Reservoir is full of oil. Galley was full and puked some oil when I popped open the o-ring plug to attach the gage.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:59 PM
killforfood
Junior User
Update,
There is 12v at the IPR with ignition on.
Verified that springs were installed correctly under the JIC/ORB high pressure fittings.
Pulled IPR. It was clean and in the closed position.
Checked IPR coil ohms, 10 ohms. That's pretty low but I think if it was shorted, it would be even lower.

I guess tomorrow we pull the pump again and make sure the gear was seated properly.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:41 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you did pull it, did you pull the reservoir to verify alignment of the gears?

If that's all you did it should build pressure within 90 seconds of cranking.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:38 AM
killforfood
Junior User
Originally Posted by nossliw
When you did pull it, did you pull the reservoir to verify alignment of the gears?

If that's all you did it should build pressure within 90 seconds of cranking.
Tonight we will pull the pump again and check gear alignment. We didn't pull the top of the reservoir off the first time but we probably will this time just to verify what's going on in there.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:55 AM
killforfood
Junior User
Originally Posted by nossliw
Nossliw, you nailed it.

It's very obvious once the reservoir is removed.

Two teeth on the HPOP gear were ground down by the cam gear about .010".

We were unable to find a replacement gear in any of the local auto parts stores. The damage was not very deep so we decided to repair the gear.
The two teeth cleaned up nicely with some careful hand file work.

The chamfer area of the gear was also damaged from being torqued up against the HPOP shaft at an angle but this cleaned up nicely with a little bit of file work.
This is the before picture.The

The cam gear showed some minor scuffing on the front edge of all the teeth but this area has little contact with the HPOP gear once it is torqued into place towards the rear of the cam gear.

No doubt metal chips did get into the oil so we changed it immediately after about 10 seconds run time.
I'm sure those teeth will be shedding more bits of metal as they wear-in, so I strongly encouraged him to change his oil again after just a few more miles.

Hopefully anybody that reads this will realize the importance of removing the reservoir housing and being absolutely sure that the HPOP gear is correctly aligned on the HPOP shaft or damage WILL occur!

Old 04-22-2016, 12:05 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I'm glad it wasn't much worse. I'd think he will be just fine as any of those shavings went straight down into the pan and likely will hit the magnetic drain plug after a bit of fluid movement, if anything the filter better pick them up. If you changed the oil I'd be hard pressed to think any damage down the road will incur.

A new gear is not cheap by any means and will only come from FORD or international.

Gears do no look to be terribly damaged either, the face of the tooth would be more important than the outer edge, they will scrub in :-). I have seen much worse and they are still running!

Your not the first to do it , it literally take all of maybe 5-10 min to pop the rez off, and its def worth it.

When this happens its usually the cam bearings that can sometimes be scored if the LPOP did not build sufficient pressure for a long time, but that's usually not the case... sometimes.

Hopefully it goes well for your buddy!