1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

No wait to start light after swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 10:19 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay, so I figured out the circuit that the Bronco had and have some questions regarding the difference.

Here is the wiring routing:

The ignition switch has the red/lt blue wire going to the clutch safety switch. From there, the clutch safety switch sends the red/lt blue wire to a Yellow/pink striped wire:

This wire then gets sent to the firewall at this pin connection:

Which is the corresponding pin on the engine harness side:

Which sends the wire to this connector that goes down to the frame harness:

Which comes back up (as marked) as the red/lt blue wire that is sent to the starter relay.

On the F250 wiring harness, the last picture is where the wiring difference is. The wire going to the starter relay (red/lt blue) is the same on both harnesses. The however, the wire coming from the ignition switch is different. Does anyone have a wiring pinout of this plug so I can figure out what is what?

Old 04-20-2016, 11:24 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Alright, I have things sorted a little better now.

The plug that is the culprit is the transmission wiring harness plug. This is the transmission side plug for the harness that came from the 1996 Bronco:

The engine bay side plug for the F250 doesn't quite match up and there are less wires. On the Bronco, the starter relay wire loops right back to another end as well as a pair of yellow/gray wires that I don't know what they go to. The F250 starter wire connects to one of the correct spots for the Bronco wire transmission plug, but not the other.

Does anybody have the engine bay side wiring harness pinout for a 1995 F250? That Way I know which way I need to repin the wires on the plug.

Edit:

Here is what I found so far for the F-250 Plug on the engine bay side:

You can see one of the starter relay wires lines up, but the other doesn't. Whatever loops in the Bronco harness is inbetween where the circuit wants to go. This shouldn't be too hard to rewire, but I don't know which wires go to the transmission and which go to the transfer case.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:09 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Alright, for some semi closure on the issue, I'll post what I did! I rewired the Bronco transmission plug:

So hopefully it is wired correctly! The starter relay now engages with the key which is amazing! However, I don't know if the transfer case and transmission wires are in the correct spot, but I believe they may be because the colors seemed somewhat close on the F-250 harness. I guess I'll find out when I get the truck up and running!

Old 04-21-2016, 12:14 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You can test the reverse lights without the engine running; just put it in reverse and turn the key to RUN. Same with testing the 4x4 lights.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:21 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by madpogue
You can test the reverse lights without the engine running; just put it in reverse and turn the key to RUN. Same with testing the 4x4 lights.
Well that did it! I tried cranking my truck with a screwdriver a little too much last night in 5-10 second intervals and the batteries got weak (replaced HPOP, fuel bowl seals, and fuel lines so from what I read it will take a LOT of cranking to purge air from the fuel and oil.)

So I set a 2amp trickle charger on last night thinking I'd be good to test today. Well It turns out I left my ignition on all last night.... Anyways, I set up two battery chargers at 10 amps each so I can get a decent charge hopefully within an hour or two to test.

ANYWAYS, after testing out what you told me, the lights work!!!! The reverse lights and 4 Low turn on. the 4X4 light didn't come on but I'm sure that's due to the LED bulb I put in being reversed on polarity. I just have to swap the bulb around and it should be good to go. Thanks for all the help! Now my next hurdle is hoping my truck starts!