Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Any slick way to install extra switches?

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 04-19-2016, 02:47 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.

I have the factory aux switches, would be nice to use them but they are pretty simple SPST. I need DPDT, mom-off-mom etc. This is for a control system for air suspension.

I looks like the only place to put them is in the instrument cluster bezel to the left of the steering column behind the turn signal lever. There is some space behind the plastic and it is relatively flat. Another way might be to gut the factory aux switch bezel and replace them with something else, that seems like a step backward somehow and I might use them for something else.

Surely someone has faced this before and come up with a slick place/way to install switches?

Old 04-19-2016, 08:58 PM
MammaJammaTX
Junior User
MammaJammaTX is starting off with a positive reputation.
hmmm .... good luck with that. You might be onto something on the left side. I have been all up in there and its limited. All depends on your end result. I thought about building a low profile custom panel/mount for the top of the dash in the center but then decided against it. you might search interior photos on the net - see what you can see.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:30 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.
I did search, no joy.

I pulled the cluster bezel loose, from about the turn signal lever up there is more than an inch of space behind it. Below that the depth is limited by the sub facia. I would need to do away with some of the ribbing in the plastic, but it would work I think. There aren't too many other places that are somewhat flat and not in a place that would be obvious and offensive. I could sacrifice the 110V outlet on the passenger side of the center console but it is a bit of a reach.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:07 AM
SavageNFS
Post Fiend
SavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputation
What interior do you have? Do you have the center console with the 4 cup holders? Do you need all 4? They are removable and you have a ton of room right there. You can also mount them in the side of the console like I did in my Fiat.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:42 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
It's the Lariat interior. Forgot I could remove the whole cup holder, but switches are a bit vulnerable there? Side of the console is an idea though. Also inside, but then accessibility becomes an issue if stuff is piled on top of the lid.