2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

How to Order a new truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 09:41 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
How to Order a new truck?

Hi folks,

I've bought plenty of new vehicles in the past, but it was always a case of finding one I liked well enough on a dealer lot.

I'd like to order a 2017 this year, because I plan to keep this truck for 5-8 years, and I want to get it exactly the way I want it.

Can someone answer a few questions for me?

1. How much money is required to be put down in order for the dealer to place the order?

2. How does the trade-in work? I assume you trade in your current truck when the new one actually arrives at the dealer? I'm also assuming the dealer cannot tell you the actual trade-in value at ordering time, since the truck will have accrued more miles when you physically turn it over?

3. Is the loan and financing run at the time of the ordered truck arriving? Do they pre-qualify you at the time of ordering with a credit check for the amount of the new truck?

4. How long do you think it would take to get one of these new trucks from ordering to delivery? I'm looking to have my new truck right around Thanksgiving of this year.

5. Are you likely to get a "worse" deal on an ordered vehicle than one off the lot? Does the dealership negotiate at all? How do they make money?

Thanks for the help here - I'm pretty excited about this truck. I'm also excited to hear it doesn't look like there will be major price increases over 2016 models. I'm will be buying a Crew 4x4 diesel with the moonroof; not sure if it will be a Lariat or XLT - that depends upon pricing. I'm leaning towards a Lariat; I really wanted the LED headlamps but it looks like you need the 96U Ultimate package which is probably a steep increase over the regular Lariat.

I'm used to the big discounts - sticker on my 2015 gas Lariat was $54k but I paid about $46k before the trade in. Sticker on my 2016 XLT diesel that I'm driving now was $57k but I did the "friends and neighbors" or whatever was running last fall plus dealer negotiation and paid $49k before the trade.

Any ideas ballpark what a F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 Powerstroke w/ moonroof might cost?

Thanks

Old 04-18-2016, 10:28 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 430 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Hi folks,

I've bought plenty of new vehicles in the past, but it was always a case of finding one I liked well enough on a dealer lot.

I'd like to order a 2017 this year, because I plan to keep this truck for 5-8 years, and I want to get it exactly the way I want it.

Can someone answer a few questions for me?

1. How much money is required to be put down in order for the dealer to place the order?
Depends on the dealer. I have ordered 3 new Fords and have never put down a deposit. Some require $500, but it is 100% refundable.

2. How does the trade-in work? I assume you trade in your current truck when the new one actually arrives at the dealer? I'm also assuming the dealer cannot tell you the actual trade-in value at ordering time, since the truck will have accrued more miles when you physically turn it over?
I refuse to work with a dealer that won't give me a defined trade value at time of ordering. The miles can be estimated pretty close and a contingent can be agreed upon as necessary. I haven't found the need for that though.

3. Is the loan and financing run at the time of the ordered truck arriving? Do they pre-qualify you at the time of ordering with a credit check for the amount of the new truck?
I've always done that at time of delivery with FMC.

4. How long do you think it would take to get one of these new trucks from ordering to delivery? I'm looking to have my new truck right around Thanksgiving of this year.
Normally 8-12 weeks, but with the brand new model, that's a guess. As has been stated elsewhere, retail customer orders will not start production until the 'OK to Ship' has been reached.

5. Are you likely to get a "worse" deal on an ordered vehicle than one off the lot? Does the dealership negotiate at all? How do they make money?
I've found you get a better deal ordering because you can shop other dealers for the EXACT SAME TRUCK. They don't have the advantage of having that particular truck on the lot. The dealer makes money the same way on any other sale, just maybe slightly less if you are a shrewd negotiator.

Thanks for the help here - I'm pretty excited about this truck. I'm also excited to hear it doesn't look like there will be major price increases over 2016 models. I'm will be buying a Crew 4x4 diesel with the moonroof; not sure if it will be a Lariat or XLT - that depends upon pricing. I'm leaning towards a Lariat; I really wanted the LED headlamps but it looks like you need the 96U Ultimate package which is probably a steep increase over the regular Lariat.

I'm used to the big discounts - sticker on my 2015 gas Lariat was $54k but I paid about $46k before the trade in. Sticker on my 2016 XLT diesel that I'm driving now was $57k but I did the "friends and neighbors" or whatever was running last fall plus dealer negotiation and paid $49k before the trade.

Any ideas ballpark what a F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 Powerstroke w/ moonroof might cost?

Thanks
I would price out a comparable 2016 truck online, and add $500-1k to get a '17 price. That should get you pretty close. The exception would be if you want a lot of goodies that don't come on a '16 truck.

Good luck and enjoy your ride!

Old 04-18-2016, 11:03 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Thanks Fordman, that answers most of it.

I like the idea of the "defined" trade in value - I'd be willing to do a mileage stipulation if necessary.

I wasn't sure if you needed a big deposit down or not. Sounds like its not much.

8-12 weeks - I guess that would be figuring on 3 months or so.

For my truck, I suspect the Lariat Ultimate package will be quite expensive. I think, if the prices only rise $500 or so, I'll order a Lariat with the moonroof, 20" wheels, the tailgate step, and the spray-in bedliner. I'm amazed more dealers don't order trucks with the bedliner from Ford. For me, the $450 cost to have it already done is the same price or slightly cheaper than having Line-X or Rhino do it afterwards.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:06 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My perspective as a dealer:

1. It varies by dealer and situation. Any repeat customers I never take money down from. If you're new I usually ask $500. It's my choice as a Commercial Account Manager. The guys on retail are required to get $500 unless it's waived. It's fully refundable here, but there isn't anything preventing a dealership from writing up a restocking fee or something. I treat it like a gentlemen agreement most of the time.

2. I give a firm number. We know about how long it should take and customer tells us how many miles they'll have. Of course if there is damage or repairs needed at the trade in time we will have to adjust for that, but I've never had to change my numbers in the past few years. I always encourage folks to get more money private selling the trade if they don't need it until the new one comes in. I hate trades because of how I do my deals I never give "enough" for the trade cause I refuse to take money from the new vehicle to make the trade look better. It's worth what it's worth IMO.

3. Again, varies by dealership. Unless the customer expresses a concern on financing I just order it for them. I haven't had too many folks with marginal credit be too serious about orders. I won't run someones credit until they agree to pricing and a term. Some dealerships shake your hand and give you a credit app when you come through the door. Depends a bit on location I've found (the poor white county over the mountain runs credit on everyone, and our friendly suburban area it's normally one of the last things you do).

4. No idea on new ones. They will have to build all the retail stock orders then hit custom orders. I think you'll be good for turkey day though.

5. Generally you can get the same deal in stock as ordered, but it can vary. Most new car managers do get paid on the bonus cash Ford gives for volume of units, and selling one now is worth a few hundred bucks compared to waiting for it to come in. The bigger risk is that the customer will back out. My idealistic notion of a gentlemen's agreement has bitten me more than once and getting a customer to sign now eliminates that risk. That's mostly where the high pressure comes from in most dealerships. I've said many times that one of the best negotiation tactics is to actually commit to the car or truck, and just be willing to say no a few times and eventually you'll get a darn good deal on your first visit to any reasonable dealer. It sounds like you're trapping yourself, but trust me, from our perspective, the bigger risk is you leaving. There is no "best" price, because the shop down the road will lose $50 bucks to take the business. Be ready to buy and you'll get your best deal. Back to ordering though... ordering does help us at the dealership. We don't have to pay any interest on a truck that is on our lot for less than a week, so we have lower overhead on an order. If a trucks been here too long we put advertising dollars towards it (more than a year on the lot typically, not just last years models). So sometimes you can get a stupid deal on a leftover, but not likely on a Ford pick-up, they sell too well. Additionally when you work out your deal try and do it as a set price and then take off the rebates. When you order a new Ford you lock in current price and rebates. Sometimes the deal is better by the time your truck comes in and you can option for them. If you're dealing with an offset from invoice, often times the invoice cost does go up throughout the year, so you can't take the invoice cost at ordered time AND the new rebates. It's one or the other, but it's a good thing to know.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:08 AM
Sportscraft
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My experience is pretty much the same as already posted. Part of it to depends on relationship with dealer, and I personally would try to find a dealer with a large fleet department and try and order through them. Usually less
pressure and omore informed then a typical salesman.

Mine usually doesn't require a down payment and just does financing when the truck comes in. They don't even require a signed sales order unless Ford asks for it. Apparently sometimes they do to make sure a dealer isn't making up the customer to just get more inventory. Never had to yet though.

Trade they will give me a ballpark but usually won't lock in a price. This part is tough sometimes - for whatever reason at the moment the used car manager is afraid of having to sit on a loaded up dually. A more high demand truck in the area then maybe they would.

Time line 6-8 weeks is average if placing order with a dealer with large allocation and marks it as priority. Dealers can determine which of there trucks in order are most important. I forget which code you want but someone on here I'm sure can chime in. This is however once the trucks are in full production. Right not there not even being scheduled yet and I've heard rumor delivery dates anywhere from starting June into October. I'm planning on the later myself.

Dealer does have pricing now. In some ways your better off ordering as it gives you price protection. If ford has a price increase before it comes in you pay the lower price. Rebate wise you usually get what is available at time of delivery. That could go either way, but from experience rebates only seem to go one way the longer a model year has been out.

I definitely would do some research then order. Nothing like getting the exact truck you want spec'd just for you. Have you seen the order guide on here?

Old 04-18-2016, 11:24 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Thanks Frantz and Sportscraft.

Very interesting info. I've been studying the order guide - I wish I knew prices - but I'm already narrowing down exactly what I want.

Frantz - if you weren't 7 hours away, I'd order from you. Thanks for being upfront on the info.

I've bought a '12 and a '15 Super Duty from my local dealer - then they went out of business. My current truck I bought from a dealer almost an hour away because I was intrigued by them - real mom and pop operation. Literally only 3 people working sales and financing, plus a couple of techs in the garage. Yet they sell a lot of trucks, mostly all Super Dutys, and very few cars. They have been in business exactly 100 years, and it is super low-key, but I feel like maybe I wasn't getting my best deal there. They have someone who "quotes" them on all trades, and that is the number they give you. I was shocked my 2015 Lariat with 9,000 miles on it in flawless condition wouldn't be going on the lot.

I could try to sell my current truck - but I will need it until October. That would not allow a new '17 before Thanksgiving.

If I order in early September, I wonder if that would allow enough time to have it by Christmas?

Old 04-18-2016, 11:43 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Frantz - if you weren't 7 hours away, I'd order from you. Thanks for being upfront on the info.
The more Fords on the road the better for me, and frankly the better for the customers as a whole. I'm not a paid sponsor here, I just like being able to do my consumer research and see what problems folks have and getting the best info I can out to folks. I also do try to defend the dealer perspective, but that's more just my way of venting!

Old 06-05-2016, 08:27 AM
hatcreek
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do I find an order guide?

Old 06-05-2016, 09:57 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,192 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by hatcreek
Where do I find an order guide?
Scroll down...