Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SEM Color Coat Interior Dye/Paint for Medium Flint

Old 04-16-2016, 06:26 PM
Jeff53
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SEM Color Coat Interior Dye/Paint for Medium Flint

Seeing as how all I've been doing here is asking questions, I thought I'd post something that might be helpful. I'm installing a used Excursion medium flint console in my 04 Ex. It was a little rough in a few places and I wanted to paint it. I tested the Medium Gray on a hidden area, but it was the slightest bit too light. I went back to the paint store and picked up a can that seemed just a bit darker. It's called Presidio and it is just about a perfect match to the Medium Flint. The SEM number is 15163. So, if you need to spruce up your flint interior, I'd recommend trying the Presidio.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:27 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Where's the pics?

Old 04-16-2016, 06:44 PM
Jeff53
Senior User
Just finished it this afternoon

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Twitchyleprechaun
Where's the pics?

Old 04-17-2016, 06:23 AM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
I think Presidio is what I used when I painted the ashtray piece I used to replace the worthless bag-hookie thing.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:56 PM
Jeff53
Senior User
OK, here are a few

Originally Posted by Twitchyleprechaun
Where's the pics?
I haven't assembled the console yet as I wanted to let it cure for a couple of days. I didn't get a lot of pictures. I'll take some more once it's assembled. I'm installing USB ports where the power outlet was and also where the rear audio controls were, since my Ex originally had a bench seat and no rear audio controls anyway. I didn't paint the clip on the lid, so that is the original color, for comparison purposes.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:41 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 794 Likes on 557 Posts
If that lid clip isn't painted then yeah, that is a very good color match! How well did that paint cover? Is that a single coat of more we are looking at? Did you use a primer or any other prep coatings on the plastics? I will be in need of that color for my F-650 dash eventually and your color match looks great.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:56 PM
Jeff53
Senior User
Not painted

Originally Posted by WE3ZS
If that lid clip isn't painted then yeah, that is a very good color match! How well did that paint cover? Is that a single coat of more we are looking at? Did you use a primer or any other prep coatings on the plastics? I will be in need of that color for my F-650 dash eventually and your color match looks great.
I didn't paint the clip on purpose so that I had something that would be right against the newly painted surface that was original for comparison. It may be the slightest bit different, but to my old eyes, it looks the same. And if it isn't, it's close enough for government work.

I originally cleaned the console really well with a strong concentration of Simple Green. I cleaned it again with the SEM Plastic and Leather prep right before painting. I then sprayed it with SEM Sand Free Adhesion Promoter and immediately (per SEM instructions) sprayed it with a light coat of the Presdio Gray while the adhesion promoter was still wet. This is supposed to help the color layer adhere better to the plastic surface. After that, I put 3 more light coats on most of it, with the exception of the lid which got 5 coats because it had some places that were very splotchy/discolored when I got it, plus that is the "highest traffic" area. The paint seems to cover very well. I used most of one can to do the whole console. You only need to let it dry about 5-10 minutes between coats and it dries to the touch almost instantaneously. I haven't clear coated it and probably won't. I've used SEM before on other cars and don't remember ever clear coating it and it held up very well.

I've been thinking of picking up a couple more cans of it on the off chance that it gets discontinued.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:32 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I was wondering--has anyone painted the top of the drivers door panel--right where your elbow tends to go? I've thought about painting it but then I thought it might be a lot of trouble for a useless exercise

Old 04-18-2016, 09:32 AM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh wow.. That is light grey.

I'm rethinking my search for a grey interior.
All the Ford Trucks here at work are a slightly darker grey.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:41 PM
Jeff53
Senior User
It looks darker in person

Originally Posted by Pele
Oh wow.. That is light grey.

I'm rethinking my search for a grey interior.
All the Ford Trucks here at work are a slightly darker grey.
I'm guessing it's the same as the trucks at work. Those pictures were taken in bright sunlight. I'll be taking some more once I put it back together and I'll try to take them in more natural lighting. The actual interiors are a medium gray and charcoal. I prefer the gray over the tan/brown, but that's all a matter of personal preference.

I took a quick picture, more in regular light.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:09 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff53
I'm guessing it's the same as the trucks at work. Those pictures were taken in bright sunlight. I'll be taking some more once I put it back together and I'll try to take them in more natural lighting. The actual interiors are a medium gray and charcoal. I prefer the gray over the tan/brown, but that's all a matter of personal preference.

I took a quick picture, more in regular light.

I know the exteriors of the fleet trucks are all Oxford White.
I think the interiors are all Charcoal. They're not black, I know that.

I was taking into account the bright lighting.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:14 AM
Jeff53
Senior User
OK, now it's overcast

Here are pictures of it mostly assembled. I haven't completely installed the rear cup holder so that I have access to connect the USB and power ports.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:52 AM
XbigXredX
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you paint the Crocs to match?

Looks good, nice job.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:09 PM
Jeff53
Senior User
No

Originally Posted by XbigXredX
Did you paint the Crocs to match?

Looks good, nice job.
They were already a lovely contrasting shade of black.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:32 PM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
I have not found any pictures of interiors in trucks painted glacier blue except one and it was gray. Boring. Anyone have suggestions what Color? I am thinking a dark blue but not navy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SEM Color Coat Interior Dye/Paint for Medium Flint