1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

What's the Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 10:35 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
The Moderators were quick to remove the thread I started re: "Tribute to my Father-in-Law" They moved it to the Non automotive section, but yet I can't get help with anything else.
I guess it has to do with someone bitching about something. Somebody has pull while us peasants have none.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:53 AM
instig8r63
Cargo Master
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by gangstakr
The Moderators were quick to remove the thread I started re: "Tribute to my Father-in-Law" They moved it to the Non automotive section, but yet I can't get help with anything else.
I guess it has to do with someone bitching about something. Somebody has pull while us peasants have none.
It's like trying to find someone that knows something at Home Depot.
Prolly the worst modded car forum on the web.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:05 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by orich
Steve that problem sounds like it could be tied into Obama healthcare web site.

Orich
AH HAHAHAHAHA!

Old 04-16-2016, 10:55 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Part of it has to do with how much (or how little) power we moderators actually have to do things. We can move threads around and a few other things, but anything having to with user permissions and website problems etc. has to be passed up the chain to an admin, and how quickly they respond depends on how busy they are. Most them admin many other IB forums too. One thing I notice is that users frequently presume we mods have a lot more power and control over things than we actually do! Once we notify the Powers That Be, it's pretty much out of our hands and there's not much else we can do but wait.

You have basically three ways to try and get a problem resolved: Open a Service Ticket by clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of any page and filling in the blanks. I'm not exactly sure who sees it, but we mods don't, it goes to admins.

You can also contact a mod or admin directly through PMs, but in some cases it's probably best to contact the person who mods a particular forum you may be having trouble in, or one who you've had some contact with in the past. If it's one of those user permission or glitch problems on the site, then try contacting an admin or a super mod. And again, it's often better to contact one who you know or have had dealings with in the past just for the sense of familiarity. And remember, we mods are all volunteers here and most of us have day jobs, and so aren't on the site 24/7. Look for the green light next to someone's name and you have a chance of getting a bit faster response from them, though is some cases it's possible that someone leaves a page open which shows that they're online, but they may be away from the computer for a while so the green light isn't a guarantee that they're online at that minute.

And then you can use the Report Post feature, which is often misused or in some cases over-used. It's not really the best way to contact us if you are having a user permission-type problem, but is more for reporting abuse or posts that need to be moved as they're posted in the wrong forum, that type of thing. It goes to the forum mods, super mods and admins.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:28 AM
instig8r63
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by TigerDan
Part of it has to do with how much (or how little) power we moderators actually have to do things. We can move threads around and a few other things, but anything having to with user permissions and website problems etc. has to be passed up the chain to an admin, and how quickly they respond depends on how busy they are. Most them admin many other IB forums too. One thing I notice is that users frequently presume we mods have a lot more power and control over things than we actually do! Once we notify the Powers That Be, it's pretty much out of our hands and there's not much else we can do but wait.

You have basically three ways to try and get a problem resolved: Open a Service Ticket by clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of any page and filling in the blanks. I'm not exactly sure who sees it, but we mods don't, it goes to admins.

You can also contact a mod or admin directly through PMs, but in some cases it's probably best to contact the person who mods a particular forum you may be having trouble in, or one who you've had some contact with in the past. If it's one of those user permission or glitch problems on the site, then try contacting an admin or a super mod. And again, it's often better to contact one who you know or have had dealings with in the past just for the sense of familiarity. And remember, we mods are all volunteers here and most of us have day jobs, and so aren't on the site 24/7. Look for the green light next to someone's name and you have a chance of getting a bit faster response from them, though is some cases it's possible that someone leaves a page open which shows that they're online, but they may be away from the computer for a while so the green light isn't a guarantee that they're online at that minute.

And then you can use the Report Post feature, which is often misused or in some cases over-used. It's not really the best way to contact us if you are having a user permission-type problem, but is more for reporting abuse or posts that need to be moved as they're posted in the wrong forum, that type of thing. It goes to the forum mods, super mods and admins.
What I've experienced is, when using the "Contact Us" link, my correspondence falls into the vast black hole and nobody responds.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:35 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Like I said, I really don't know who receives that...I know we mods don't. In the case of this thread, it was seen by John who reported it and Art responded and passed the message upstairs, where it was seen by an admin. Not exactly the usual channels, but it worked. I saw it when I sat down to my computer after getting home and went to respond since it's my forum, but Art had already taken care of it.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:39 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by instig8r63
What I've experienced is, when using the "Contact Us" link, my correspondence falls into the vast black hole and nobody responds.
I remember back in December (during the Uncle Skip/Mustang gas tank brouhaha he had with you then) that you had requested assistance with getting your board name changed here.

Four months later, I see it hasn't.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:50 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Good luck. I've PMd a mod with the same question three different times and haven't gotten so much as a reply.
I went into my settings here and selected not to receive instant notifications to other people's responses in threads I've posted in. It still didn't stop the barrage of notices coming to my private email --before yesterday, I never got email notices for this.

I went back in and turned off the selection for Subscribe to Threads (or something like that). So far, it seems to have stopped the notices coming to my private email.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:56 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
It's the default setting, so my presumption (not being a tech-y kind of guy) is that when the changes were made to your account it defaulted back to that setting. Most people like it, but I know there are some who don't. Personally, I'd rather get the email notifications that a thread I've posted in has been responded to rather than have to go back and check the thread frequently for responses. Besides, with my memory I wouldn't remember what threads I've posted in!

Old 04-16-2016, 12:00 PM
instig8r63
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ultraranger
I remember back in December (during the Uncle Skip/Mustang gas tank brouhaha he had with you then) that you had requested assistance with getting your board name changed here.

Four months later, I see it hasn't.
Exactly. I've made that request several times, with only one response. I was told that I could change my username for a fee (join FTE Club.) I then asked if a specific username was available if I did decide to join. Nothing but crickets. I asked again...crickets.
I think if they ever do decide to contact me, I'll ask that my account be deleted.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:02 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Exactly. I've made that request several times, with only one response. I was told that I could change my username for a fee (join FTE Club.) I then asked if a specific username was available if I did decide to join. Nothing but crickets. I asked again...crickets.
I think if they ever do decide to contact me, I'll ask that my account be deleted.
Whoa. Please don't do that Bobby. Your knowledge and experience is much appreciated here.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:02 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by TigerDan
It's the default setting, so my presumption (not being a tech-y kind of guy) is that when the changes were made to your account it defaulted back to that setting. Most people like it, but I know there are some who don't. Personally, I'd rather get the email notifications that a thread I've posted in has been responded to rather than have to go back and check the thread frequently for responses. Besides, with my memory I wouldn't remember what threads I've posted in!
For me, I just get on here and read through the posts that interest me. If I see something I think I might can help with, I'll make a reply. As far as getting email notices on my private email everytime someone makes a post in a thread I've replied in, I'm not interested in continually having to delete them off my inbox. But, that's just my preference.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:16 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Once you're subscribed to a thread, you will get notifications even if you turn it off. You need to click the unsubscribe link in the email you get but it only works for THAT thread.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:47 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Krewat
Once you're subscribed to a thread, you will get notifications even if you turn it off. You need to click the unsubscribe link in the email you get but it only works for THAT thread.
Before I went into the settings to update my email address yesterday, I never used to get a notice of a new post to my email, even when my old email address was active. I didn't used to get them on my current email either and I've had the current email address for a while now. This didn't start happening until yesterday.

Clicking on the settings selection to not receive the notices didn't stop them from coming. After I disabled the setting for subscribing to threads is when it seems that it has stopped the notices from popping up on my personal email.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:15 PM
instig8r63
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Whoa. Please don't do that Bobby. Your knowledge and experience is much appreciated here.
In the event that I give up here, I'll be available at Fordification.

Quick Reply: What's the Deal?