Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Hate to ask an oil question but I'm going to

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 04-15-2016, 07:51 AM
MG250
Senior User
MG250 is starting off with a positive reputation.

My 2015 6.7 is due for it's second oil change at 15,000 miles. I am having the dealer do it and called to schedule I told the service advisor I wanted to go synthetic this time and moving forward.
His response, which surprised me was "Why?"
I asked him what the benefits of synthetic would be and is response was "There are none. Unless you want to waste your money."

I decided I would still do synthetic this time and he said "OK, you can. It's a waste of money and once you go synthetic you can't switch back and forth."

Am I wasting money by going synthetic every 7,500 miles?
Is there an appreciable advantage to lubrication, anti coking, less wear on start ups in cold weather, longer engine life (less replacement of parts)?

Old 04-15-2016, 08:47 AM
Postmaster
99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation
I can't really advise one way or another.....but here is a link to help you make up your mind!
https://www.angieslist.com/articles/...r-your-car.htm

Good luck! Personally, I am using Rotella T6 full synthetic!

Old 04-15-2016, 09:00 AM
Traveling Man
Senior User
Traveling Man is starting off with a positive reputation.
There are advantages under extreme conditions. It's your money and your truck, if you feel you need the synthetic oil to extend the life of your truck, by all means do so. I would not extend the drain intervals unless you are having your oil analyzed for contaminants. I live in South Carolina and tow 14,000lbs occasionally and I run the Motorcraft 10W-30 in the 5 quart jugs from Walmart. I do plan on switching to Delo 5W-40 full synthetic after a couple more oil changes just to give myself the extra peace of mind. I think the key to longevity is change your oil regularly with a quality brand; whatever brand that may be, and ride.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:48 AM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by MG250 View Post
My 2015 6.7 is due for it's second oil change at 15,000 miles. I am having the dealer do it and called to schedule I told the service advisor I wanted to go synthetic this time and moving forward.
His response, which surprised me was "Why?"
I asked him what the benefits of synthetic would be and is response was "There are none. Unless you want to waste your money."

I decided I would still do synthetic this time and he said "OK, you can. It's a waste of money and once you go synthetic you can't switch back and forth."

Am I wasting money by going synthetic every 7,500 miles?
Is there an appreciable advantage to lubrication, anti coking, less wear on start ups in cold weather, longer engine life (less replacement of parts)?
That statement is so totally bogus.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:00 PM
MammaJammaTX
Junior User
MammaJammaTX is starting off with a positive reputation.
That dealer is in no position to say such a thing. Keep in mind - that's just a person spewing his/her own opinion. Any more, I trust the majority position of those people on this forum who live the situations. I watch the video's and make my own decisions. I have personally caught 2 different dealerships performing incorrect work on my truck (against Ford specs) on 3 occasions.

I switched to 5W-40 2 changes ago. I did a lot of research. The dino oils have their own characteristics that you may or may not want long term. I now use T6. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:51 PM
radium
Elder User
radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
To tell you the truth this is one of those discussions that probably will go around and around, but to be honest with you I switch to synthetic after the first oil change due to the cold conditions in the Northeast didn't like the way it was banging and starting after sitting on a job site for 12 hours at negative 20. One other thing I learned that mobile one 5W- 40 full synthetic Turbo diesels oil seem to make the engine sluggish. The new T6 that I'm using now is fantastic it's quieter doesn't seem to slow the engine at all fuel mileage is still exceptional I'd have to say it's better than the mobile one and it's only like $21 at Walmart per gallon it's a no-brainer talk to the diesel mechanic at the shop he recommended it, he is using it in his vehicle you learn something new everyday . One other advantage of this synthetic is for the turbo whether it's cold or hot synthetic will hold up better and not coat your engine with gunk and at that price I still change my at 5000 mile intervals and sometimes sooner if I know I've been Towing a lot of weight I don't trust a computer after all if it's so smart why do you have to reset it when you change oil? I thought they're supposed to be some kind of sensor that checks the oil why does it not go back to 100% life after it's changed??

Old 04-15-2016, 05:15 PM
smoky_diesel
Posting Guru
smoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by radium View Post
... I don't trust a computer after all if it's so smart why do you have to reset it when you change oil? I thought they're supposed to be some kind of sensor that checks the oil why does it not go back to 100% life after it's changed??

Computer are very good at performing task exactly as programmed. Humans are not. There is no 'oil sensor'. The computer uses what it knows; miles driven, tow/haul on/off, fuel consumption, trailer connected, boost, temps, ect (so can calc engine load at any time) and from all the info continuously calculates a new % left and next change point. It has no idea if you drain or change oil while key is off. That's why in manual it states to reset. It's your choice to use the feature or not.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:31 PM
Dakster
Post Fiend
Dakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputation
It's an un-intelligent oil life monitoring system... It would be nice if there was some sort of oil quality sensor in the truck, but as stated, there isn't.

As far as SYN vs. non-Syn it really is mostly about choice. Personally, as soon as my free oil changes are up I've used T6 in previous trucks. This time, I may try Mobile 1 Synthetic and I'm due for my first paid by me oil change on my 2015 soon. I will only pick an oil that is rated for use in our trucks. The reason I, personally, like and use a SYN oil is that I operate my truck in conditions that tell me I should be running a lower 'W' or 'Winter' number oil than 10W. I should technically be running 0W oil, but I will probably go with 5W as it's easier to find.

On the flip side, when I was in Florida I technically needed a higher second number oil, due to the extreme heat I was in. Apparently, I can't live somewhere without being at an extreme. Also, the South Florida traffic was horrible - lots of stop and go. So 40, IMHO, was better than 30....

Personally, I don't think it's 'wasting' your money to use a syn oil with a broader range of operation temperatures. However, as an example, if I was in SoCol where it's never at an extreme temp, and I rarely if ever, hauled or pulled anything, I'd probably stick with the 10W-30....

Just my .02. I don't want an oil war either. No one has posted that using FoMoCo 10W-30 was the likely cause of an engine failure. And having the dealer so the changes, would put them on the hook if it did. I don't see Ford not standing behind their oil in their truck.

After this next winter with lower number oil, I will be able to report back on if the truck starts easier in sub zero weather without being plugged in. As I am sure there will be a day I forget to plug in.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:44 PM
roadrunner01
Senior User
roadrunner01 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.roadrunner01 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
'15 6.7 Powerstroke UOA | Used Oil Analysis - Diesel | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Check out the link I provided, its my '15 with 3 UOA's posted. Personally I agree with your service writer as I have yet to see where syn provided any additional benefits in a diesel application and I have been running diesel pick up trucks since the mid 80's.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:45 PM
JReinert
Senior User
JReinert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Almost 260K on my truck and ran a 10w-30 dino in mine for about 150K then switched to 5w-40 semi syn from the local fleet farm because it was finally rated for the truck. I had a few oil analysis done and they came back normal. For the most part I changed the oil when the truck told me to, 6-10,000 miles. I actually sent the sample in when i had 10k on it with the 10w-30 and it came back in good shape. From what I have learned is that people put way to much thought into oil, these trucks will go 3-400,00K with pretty much any oil you put in them and most people will never keep them that long anyway. There's more important things to worry about!!

Old 04-15-2016, 09:36 PM
MammaJammaTX
Junior User
MammaJammaTX is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yep - I read and read and watched videos and read some more. I don't think you can go wrong as long as you keep it changed regularly and stay within the operating parameters of the manual.

JReinert - I see you have 260k on your 2011 ... that's awesome. I'd love to know if you had any major issues or if you've modified it in any way. I'm really hoping to get high miles out of mine (101k now). I have a 03/10 build ... I haven't done the research but I hear there were issues with some early models ... hoping that's not me. mine seems to be running very well ... I rarely tow and run up-and-down the interstate a lot. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:04 AM
Dakster
Post Fiend
Dakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputation
Does deere do the UOAs for free?

Old 04-16-2016, 05:03 AM
radium
Elder User
radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by roadrunner01 View Post
'15 6.7 Powerstroke UOA | Used Oil Analysis - Diesel | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Check out the link I provided, its my '15 with 3 UOA's posted. Personally I agree with your service writer as I have yet to see where syn provided any additional benefits in a diesel application and I have been running diesel pick up trucks since the mid 80's.
Well personally from my experience I've been using synthetic oil since the mid 90's gas and diesel engines. At least in the north-east there's not a doubt in my mind that synthetic oil including my farm tractor's has increased in their longevity and operation ease in the cold. I used Mobil 1 5w -20 in my 5.4 2009 F350 first oil change too 168000 miles the engine didn't miss a Beat. Never developed the dreaded VCT solenoid problem mechanic couldn't believe how many miles the engine had and it was never replaced including the timing chains common issue with the 5.4 especially the weight I was towing with that small motor for 6 years, never mind the commercial plowing one of the best trucks I've ever owned. To be honest with you i really like the T6 over the mobile one not just in price , but after two oil changes noticing the difference in the truck drive-ability and over all sound under load towing .

PS the price difference at Walmart between the 10w 30 and T6 is a few dollars why not use it ???

Old 04-16-2016, 05:22 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.
Waste of money? The T6 is the same or lower cost as the Motorcraft blend we're supposed to use.

I switch to T6 right away and I drive a lot, so when the truck tells me to change the oil, I slip on the rubber gloves and do it. Only takes 20min and it's a good oil that covers us for any and all operating conditions we would find on this continent.

Only waste of money would be the up charge you would pay the dealer to use a "boutique" oil.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:51 AM
roadrunner01
Senior User
roadrunner01 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.roadrunner01 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Deere charges $12.xx for the kit, coupled with postage the total comes to $14.xx.

The cold flow properties between 5w-40 and 10w-30 are nearly identical, too close for any seat of the pants dyno to be able to tell the difference. I am located in northern Ohio where our winter climate is very similar to northern New England.

I have 10 diesel engines in commercial service and all go through UOA to determine service life of the oil in use and also to hopefully catch any problems before they manifest into a major failure. Many buyers of synthetic oil do it because they have just spent x$ on a truck and want the best for their rig. The UOA data doesn't show that for more money spent there is any less wear within the engine.

My previous truck was an '07 6.0 that at one time I had tried for three successive runs a 5w-40, UOA data showed that at 5,000 mi. the oil was spent and wear numbers had increased vs the 15w40 Deere oil I had been using. My next step was to go to 10w-30, wear numbers decreased and I was able to extend to 7,500 OCI (which was the owners manual recommendation). So in my case synthetic actually preformed worse than conventional and cost more.

I tow and haul heavy with my '15 and the UOA numbers show that 10w-30 is doing its job just fine, but I don't tow through the mountains as some of your do. I would be curious as how 10w-30 would hold up towing a TT through the mountains in heat. There is a reason as to why Ford recommends 5w-40 for extreme use and I would stick to that, but for normal use and towing as I do it works just fine. Let the science tell you what is best for your truck, not the "butt dyno".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hate to ask an oil question but I'm going to

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: