Holley 1904 Carb Question - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Holley 1904 Carb Question

Old 05-06-2016, 08:51 PM
ALBUQ F-1
postin' fool
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Did you check what jet was in the carb when you rebuilt it?

Agree with your testing method, if the rings were really bad, that would produce a cloud of blue smoke. Since it doesn't, it could be that the valve seals are the culprit.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:58 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.
Ross, the jet in the re-built carb was a #66. The original carb jet number was not readable. The actual carb number on the original carb was not readable either.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:14 PM
ALBUQ F-1
postin' fool
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
That jet may be part of the problem. Perhaps try swapping the old carb's jet in? Original jets didn't always have markings.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:35 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.
Your chart certainly shows that a .066 inch jet is not the proper size for my engine. Swapping back to the original jet should not be a problem. The engine does seem to run well though--over-size jet not withstanding. I've been getting about 13 mpg with a fair amount of idle time and messing around.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:03 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Black soot means that you are not getting a clean burn so Ross is right in pointing you to the jets.

You also do not need a 6v timing light. With your 12v timing light just use a 12v source from another car but then put your inductive pickup around your #1 plug wire.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:10 AM
38 coupe
Posting Guru
38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.
I had good results with a #62 jet in my 215. I agree with the others, the #66 jet is likely causing an over rich condition.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:19 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
I made the switch back to the original jet. I haven't been out for a spin yet, but the engine started normally.

I was going to do a compression test but discovered my newly acquired gauge (given to me by the same guy who who gave me the faulty vacuum gauge) wouldn't move off from zero. The plugs were out before I realized the gauge wasn't working so at least i had the opportunity to have a look at them. Cylinders 1 and 6 were pretty dark and #5 was dark and a little wet. Numbers 2,3, and 4 were tannish and looked almost normal. My plugs are new--less than 100 miles. Thanks everyone for your continued interest and help.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:37 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel View Post
I was going to do a compression test but discovered my newly acquired gauge (given to me by the same guy who who gave me the faulty vacuum gauge) wouldn't move off from zero. The plugs were out before I realized the gauge wasn't working so at least i had the opportunity to have a look at them. Cylinders 1 and 6 were pretty dark and #5 was dark and a little wet. Numbers 2,3, and 4 were tannish and looked almost normal. My plugs are new--less than 100 miles. Thanks everyone for your continued interest and help.
Usually those gauges have a Schrader valve like a tire valve stem. You should be able to remove it and see if it is stuck. Then I would try a little 100 psi compressed air to see if the gauge itself is stuck.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:43 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Ross and the rest of you were right about the jet! I had the truck out for a little test drive to see how the original jet would perform with the rebuilt carb. The engine ran and started great. I did some all out accelerations from 40mph to 60mph and now back in the driveway--no more soot--some smoke though.

I took Pete's advice and worked on my free compression gauge. Compressed air and a little Liquid Wrench freed up the needle. I tried the gauge out again on just one cylinder--#2 probably one of my best cylinders from the looks of the spark plug. Unfortunately I couldn't get a reading higher than 50 lbs. despite multiple attempts. I'm thinking the engine wouldn't run if 50 was an accurate reading. Would you agree?

Old 05-13-2016, 04:58 PM
38 coupe
Posting Guru
38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.
50 psi is very low. Given that the gauge was stuck, I think that reading is suspect at best. However, you can use the gauge to compare cylinders. You won't get real values but you will know if there is a big difference between your cylinders.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:07 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Hopefully these aren't "real" numbers, but with the engine warm and all the plugs removed, I got the following compression numbers: #1 60 #2 52 #3 50 #4 50 #5 50 #6 70. I ran the truck pretty hard down the highway before doing the test this time, and all the spark plugs had much better color.

The picture below has the plugs displayed in order--#1 on the left and #6 on the right.

Does anyone think that today's compression numbers might actually be correct? My truck does smoke (but not like a mosquito fogger) and it certainly uses a lot of oil. The engine starts well and runs very smoothly, however. I pushed my truck up to about 65 mph today before the compression test, and that is pretty close to its maximum speed. When I was a teenager, I think it was faster. When pushed hard, I don't see smoke in the rear view mirrors, but I do smell it.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:36 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
What is a lot of oil? Any leaks? When does it smoke. Acceleration or deceleration? Those plugs don't look too bad considering you were running with #66 jets but the gaps don't look consistent . . . could just be the angle of the picture. Now that you have the right jets what does your vacuum gauge tell you (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16251152)?

Old 05-16-2016, 05:42 PM
ALBUQ F-1
postin' fool
I agree on the gaps, should be .025" and all appear to exceed that. The color isn't bad, considering you're probably burning up a lot of accumulated carbon and junk in the cylinders.

I'd throw away your compression gauge and go "loan" one from Autozone or Advance or whoever. Zero cost.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:04 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Pete, I think changing the jet made a big difference in how the plugs look. They were much darker, and #5 was dark and wet with the bigger jet. Oil consumption has averaged about 130 miles to the quart.

My truck was up on a lift this afternoon getting the front end aligned. While it was in the air, I had a chance to look for leaks. The bottom of the engine is covered in old hardened oil and grease, but nothing looked wet and new. The closest thing that I saw to an active leak was in the rear differential.

When the engine is hot and idling, the exhaust is not visible. Racing the engine in neutral produces a cloud of white smoke, but not the black soot anymore. Out on the road, I don't see any smoke in the mirrors. That's not to say it isn't smoking, however.

The vacuum gauge reads a solid 17 inches at the idle speed I'm using. I'm not sure what the rpm is--it my be a touch high.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:05 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
So, I was premature in thinking my plugs had better color with the new smaller jet. I pulled plug #1 and #2 to check on the gap, and lo and behold, they are dark and even a little wet looking:

The gap, however, appears to be correct. Maybe it looks wrong because of the camera angle.

I stopped in to an auto parts store on my way home from the alignment appointment because I needed some oil (again). The counterman talked me into some Lucas Oil Treatment in addition to my usual straight 30 wt oil. He thought the Lucas Treatment would do some good for my old tired engine. I let my engine idle for maybe 5+ minutes as I was adding the new miracle substance. As my engine was idling, my plugs were sadly turning black again.

For the compression test this morning, I ran the engine hard and shut it right down while it was still hot. Ross, in the near future I will take your suggestion and get readings from a reliable gauge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Holley 1904 Carb Question

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.