Holley 1904 Carb Question - Page 36 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Holley 1904 Carb Question

Old 07-14-2018, 11:32 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all
Thanks Ray! The tie downs you suggest in your link are a perfect solution for loose cargo becoming a problem in your truck in an emergency. The straps I used attached to the bumper were better than nothing, but probably wouldn't have provided very much protection.

I did make it home safely. I must say I enjoyed the Iola Car show better than the lawn tractor thing, but the whole week-end was a fun adventure. My truck ran great-- The lights worked too.

These are my friend's tractors. There were 900 or so other tractors similarly displayed at the show. Venders, food, a big auction, a parade, and music added to the experience. Everyone at the show was really into their particular type of tractor and seemed to be having a lot of fun.
Jim

Old 07-15-2018, 08:15 AM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
Great to hear you're home safely. Many thanks for the trip report and pictures.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:09 PM
pintoplumber
Elder User
pintoplumber is a name known to allpintoplumber is a name known to allpintoplumber is a name known to allpintoplumber is a name known to allpintoplumber is a name known to allpintoplumber is a name known to all
Jim, thanks for the pictures. I see he has a Cub Cadet original. I have the snow blower too, also the high/low transfer case. Good deal on the charging. Dennis

Old 07-15-2018, 05:00 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all
Hi Dennis. Yes, he has Cub Cadet. The little yellow tractor is also an International, but Internationals are not really his thing. He likes Case and has a bunch of them. He took four of them to the show, but he has many more in various conditions and stages of restoration. I never imagined the "passion" that is out there for lawn tractors. You'll have to get out there with yours when you retire. There are apparently lots of shows and events. With your Fords, and racing, and your tractor; you should be plenty busy. Also consider this: I didn't see any one at the show that just had one tractor. My friend had eight. Some people had more.

Jim

P.S. I had a flat tire this morning. It was good that it didn't happen out on the road somewhere, but irritating that three out of four of my new tires went flat in less than a year and 2000 miles. I guess there's a reason that the whole world went to tubeless tires. The fact that I didn't is maybe on me.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:13 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
JIm, Did the person who mounted those tires know and understand how to mount a tube tire correctly? Next question, did he take the time to do it right? What kind of failures are you having? A tube needs to be inflated and deflated, making sure there are no folds in the tube. The valve stem needs to be installed with no tension or pressure on it.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:30 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Hi Ray. The tire shop that did the work last summer does a lot of work for farmers and seemed to understand tires with tubes, but unfortunately I think the guy they put on my job was not that experienced. On the two tires that went bad on my trip last fall, there was abrasion damage to the tube. Something was not right with the installation and rubbing caused a hole. When I got back, I told the shop what happened, and they seemed surprised. I should have asked them to remount my other two tires, and to be sure and assign the guy that works on the farm wagon tires.

Jim

Old 07-16-2018, 09:53 AM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Here's the latest on my flat tire--the problem was an inventory tag on the inside of the tire wasn't removed when the tire was installed, and it wore a hole in the tube. This is the same problem responsible for at least one other of the flat tires. The manager said these tags should have been removed by the person installing the tires. He didn't charge for the repair, but he seemed a little lacking in remorse. The whereabouts of the one remaining tag wasn't something he was very curious about.

Jim

Old 07-17-2018, 07:57 AM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Just when you finally close the "book" on one problem, a new story line comes along. My tire is fixed, but my truck is dead in the driveway. It hasn't run since the the engine was shut down Saturday night after its very successful 300 plus mile run last week-end.

After the tire repair yesterday, I was going to use my truck to return my friend's tractor. I made several attempts at starting the engine, but it would always die after just a few seconds. A quick look under the hood revealed that the carburetor bowl was empty. The fuel pump sediment bowl was also empty. The fuel gauge showed plenty of fuel, but it hasn't been accurate since the temp gauge was removed. I added a few gallons of fuel to the tank and ran the engine a bit by pouring gas into the carb. I was alone so I couldn't keep the engine running for an extended time by adding fuel to the carb, but it ran for a few seconds on each "pour". The carb and sediment bowl stayed bone dry.

I thought maybe somehow a fuel line had become pinched changing the tire, but a bit of investigation under the truck didn't show any evidence of that. It seems like there must be a blockage somewhere in the fuel system or the fuel pump has failed. Hopefully the "book" on this problem will be short with just a few characters and a very uncomplicated plot.

Jim

Old 07-17-2018, 10:39 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
As my good friend Ray once told me, it's hard to complain when they die at home and not on the road. ..

Remind us, has the tank been cleaned? How old is the fuel pump?

Old 07-17-2018, 03:50 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Thanks Ross for sharing Ray's words of wisdom. The problem ended up being a shrunken failed cork gasket between the glass sediment bowl and the body of the fuel pump. Why (or even how) it worked for over 4000 miles and decided to fail in the driveway makes my latest story a real mystery--albeit with a happy ending. I was able to get a perfectly sized replacement rubber gasket at the local parts store. The owner's son went into his Dad's stash in the back room and came back with just what I needed. All is well that ends well. Sadly, I don't have any more adventures planned for the immediate future.

Jim

P.S. My tank is new as well as all the gas lines. The fuel pump is new too. By "new" I mean about 2 years old.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:29 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Not much has been happening with my truck lately. I've been working instead on the restoration of a one-design wooden sailboat. My boat is a Snipe, and I've been sort of working on it since 2011. My goal is to finish it this summer.

I did attend a local car show today. I broke out my special white slip covers for the occasion:

The Coast guard had covers like these on the seats. I had a friend make replacements for me. She did a good job replicating the originals right down to the brass grommets at the bottom. I think the CG used sea bags to make the original covers.

The old scruffy looking guy with the beer is me. Interestingly, there were about 400 vehicles at the show, but I didn't see a single other Ford F1. Best in show honors went to a 1933 Plymouth.

Jim

Old 08-19-2018, 11:07 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Looking good Jim! The truck, that is, not the guy with the scruffy beard! Ha-ha!

I don't think I've seen your truck with the Coast Guard door art on. It looks good.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:48 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
The scruffy beard is a hold over from a recent canoe trip with my three adult children and six grandchildren--I have 7, but the youngest was given a pass as he is only 4 months old. Spouses were supposed to be included, but one by one they excused themselves. The trip was an adventure that will be long remembered. The beard, however, needs to disappear one of these days.

I have a plan and the parts to hopefully fix my turn signals. I also have what I need to add the yellow caution stripes to my bumpers. I should get these little details done at least before the rust repairs that were done go to heck.

Abe, as I think you know, I can't make Truckstock this year. I sure hope to be able to attend next year's event, however.

Jim

Old 08-19-2018, 11:53 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel View Post
The scruffy beard is a hold over from a recent canoe trip with my three adult children and six grandchildren--I have 7, but the youngest was given a pass as he is only 4 months old. Spouses were supposed to be included, but one by one they excused themselves. The trip was an adventure that will be long remembered. The beard, however, needs to disappear one of these days.

I have a plan and the parts to hopefully fix my turn signals. I also have what I need to add the yellow caution stripes to my bumpers. I should get these little details done at least before the rust repairs that were done go too heck.

Abe, as I think you know, I can't make Truckstock this year. I sure hope to be able to attend next year's event, however.
Jim
Yes, I remember your dilemma. And you made the correct decision.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:32 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru

Again! My fourth flat tire in the last twelve months. Once again it happened in the driveway, so I'm very fortunate in that. I guess I knew there was still another one of those inventory tags scraping away on one of my inner tubes. After this flat is repaired, I should be good for awhile.

I drove my truck about 50 miles on Friday and came home in the dark. I could very well have been laid up somewhere on the side of the road and trying to change a tire with a flashlight. I'm not going to complain about changing a tire in the driveway.

Jim