Holley 1904 Carb Question - Page 35 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Holley 1904 Carb Question

Old 07-11-2018, 09:31 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.
Today was a long day--frustrating too. But on the 15 mile drive home, the charging system was working--all the way! The break through occurred late this afternoon--after about 9 hours of frustrating failure. This is how my day went:

Phase 1 "These Chinese regulators we have been using must be trash". The Standard Ignition regulator arrived bright and early. After it was installed, everything looked pretty good--6.7 volts of charging and a fairly steady gauge. Part way into my test drive, however, the gauge became erratic, and by the end, the gauge was steady and the system wasn't charging.

Phase 2 "There must be a bad ground somewhere". I cleaned up all the grounds I was aware of--shining up the metal and sanding the washers. When that didn't help, I added ground wires from the regulator to the battery, from the engine to the frame, and from the frame to the radiator support--all to no avail.

Phase 3 "It has to be the generator" My friend took apart the generator again. Everything looked good, but he found an armature in his "stash" from an old Ford tractor and put it in just in case. The generator, with its replacement armature and fields (yesterday), performed like a champ on the bench. On the truck, the problems were getting more pronounced.

Phase 4 "There has to be a short". I did Ray's tapping and pulling routine and removed the faulty temp gauge. I also removed the recently installed headlight relays because turning on the lights seemed to make the charging problems worse. With the gauges out, we carefully inspected the under dash wiring looking for arching. Nothing doing--but the regulator was cutting in and out now so rapidly that we didn't dare run the engine for any length of time. We were running out of time and patience at this point--it was very hot today too.

Phase 5 "An Aha moment" It occurred to my friend (just about quitting time) that maybe one of the breakers was weak and was cutting in and out causing the fluttering gauge, and maybe sometimes the breaker shut down completely causing the no charge situations on the test drives. A quick trip to O'Reilly's for a $6 part, a 20 minute install, and I think my electrical problems may be in the rear view mirror.

I guess sometimes some things just have to be done the hard way. I think this weak breaker has been causing problems and costing me $$ for years. Thanks everyone for your interest and suggestions!

Jim

Old 07-11-2018, 09:36 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
That great Jim! I hope that is the end of you electrical Gremlins.

By the breaker, do you mean the breakers that are attached to your instrument panel. Oreilly' s sells them and has them in stock?

Old 07-11-2018, 09:59 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.
Yes, to both of your questions. And it really was only $6. The old breaker was welded in, but there was a "spare" opening that the new breaker fit right into. I just switched up the wires, and I was in business. Friday I'm off to the Iola Car Show. Then I'm going to Portage for another event my friend is interested in--Lawn tractors of all things. It will be a 2 day 300 mile adventure--some night driving involved too. The truck was fixed just in the nick of time.

Jim

Old 07-11-2018, 10:06 PM
ALBUQ F-1
postin' fool
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Who'd a thunk it?! Congrats! Enjoy your drives!

Old 07-12-2018, 06:20 AM
pintoplumber
Elder User
pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.
Good job Jim. It’s about time. Hope that’s the fix. I like to go to tractor shows, have a cub cadet original to restore someday. Dennis

Old 07-12-2018, 05:06 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Hey Dennis. I'm all loaded up and ready to roll out tomorrow at 5:30 A.M. This is just one of my friend's tractors. He's bringing at least 7 others. They are hoping to attract 1000 tractors for the show in Portage, WI.

I logged about 30 miles today, and the charging system is still putting out close to 8 volts.

Jim

Old 07-12-2018, 05:34 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.
Have a great event and a safe trip. Please, chain that "Horse" solidly before you go anywhere.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:27 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Good advice, Ray. Just blocking the wheels is pretty sketchy, but there aren't any real good anchor points in the truck. The wooden rails along the sides are not sturdy at all. I may try to run a strap from the tractor axle to the back bumper. I just got back from helping my friend load his truck and trailer. He's hauling 7 tractors with a 3/4 ton pick-up. We are planning to go slow.

Jim

Old 07-12-2018, 08:49 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.
The bumper would most likely be the safest single point in your application. It would keep the tractor from coming forward but do nothing to keep it from flopping around.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:02 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
I just put 2 straps from the axle to the back bumper. The doors still close. Probably they won't rattle quite so much as usual. Thanks for the encouragement. I might have just gone with the wheel blocks without your reminder. Accidents can and do happen.

Jim

Old 07-12-2018, 09:25 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
bhalemail has a good reputation on FTE.bhalemail has a good reputation on FTE.
Glad it is now resolved. Enjoy the show and forget about the gremlins! You got it figured out now so you're good to go.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:51 PM
ALBUQ F-1
postin' fool
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Drill the floor and put in some eyes, you'll use them a lot I'd wager.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:50 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
Old 07-13-2018, 03:06 PM
ALBUQ F-1
postin' fool
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
This is what you need: Make sure they bolt to a solid frame, not just the wood floor..
https://www.redlinestands.com/catalo...ntent=Shopping
Yes!

Old 07-13-2018, 04:35 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Or just run your forward strap around the brake pedal.

Just kidding, obviously.

I would be x2 on the D ring tie downs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Holley 1904 Carb Question

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.