Holley 1904 Carb Question - Page 34 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Holley 1904 Carb Question

Old 07-01-2018, 06:51 AM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
Sorry to hear of your misfortunate adventure but thanks for the report. It appears folks up there like their old vehicles to appear nearly stock.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:04 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all
We spent a little time investigating the charging system failure today. First we removed the generator and checked it out. Visually, the brushes and everything looked good. Then we benched tested it with my spare regulator. With a little adjusting of the points, we were able to get about 7.4 volts of charging. With the parts re-installed on the truck, the charging system still looked good--charging voltage in the low 7's, and the gauge nice and steady at about 3/4 of the way to max. charge. Driving on the road, however, the gauge became very erratic, swinging almost from full discharge to full charge at times--very unexpected and disappointing!

At home in my driveway, the gauge was showing a good charge and the needle was steady (like at my friends shop). On my meter, I was getting 6.8 volts at fast idle and 6.4 volts at regular idle. With the lights on, the charge went down to only 6.1 volts. With the engine shut down, the battery voltage was 6.1 volts as well. I'm thinking 6.1 volts with the lights on is not good. A jumpy needle is probably not good either.

I did a little looking for loose connections but didn't see any. I'll take the generator off again tomorrow and re-check those connections. What I did see is a ground wire I added to the instrument cluster is touching (or nearly touching) the main wire for the voltage gauge. Both wires are insulated, but there may be intermittent physical contact driving down the road. I added the grounding wire because the temp gauge doesn't seem to be working right, and the instrument cluster lights don't work without it.

Any suggestions? Charging system problems are getting old. I have 3 regulators, my wiring is new, and the generator always checks out as working. Thanks.

Jim

Old 07-09-2018, 09:58 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all
Here's another electrical glitch I'll throw out for consideration. My temp gauge never worked. With the new wiring harness, I got a set of used stock gauges, . The replacement temp gauge still didn't move off the "C", just like the original one. I replaced the sending unit and added a designated ground wire for the gauge. Now when the key is turned on, the dial moves off the "C" and goes a little past half way to hot--even when the engine is cold. As the engine warms up, the dial gradually moves down and settles just above the "C". It stays there even pounding down the road at 60 mph for several hour with an outside temp of 95. Any ideas on fixing this problem? Thanks.

Jim

Old 07-09-2018, 10:24 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
If your temp gauge shows "C" when the truck is off, it's shot. It should be on the "H" until power is applied. You can test any of the gauges by connecting them (individually) to a "D" cell battery, they should show half-scale with that voltage after 30 seconds or so.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:08 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Thanks Ross! Now I know. My original and replacement gauges are junk. If I get my charging system sorted out, I'm going to a big car show/swap meet this week-end. Maybe I'll find a temp gauge there. I see them on e-bay--but for $82.00.

Jim

Old 07-09-2018, 11:22 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel View Post
Thanks Ross! Now I know. My original and replacement gauges are junk. If I get my charging system sorted out, I'm going to a big car show/swap meet this week-end. Maybe I'll find a temp gauge there. I see them on e-bay--but for $82.00.

Jim
Take a D battery and some wire along to check any used gauges you find.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:43 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
I would start by assembling everything. Affix your voltmeter to the battery or somewhere electrically solid. Start truck and observe. voltage readings. Raise rpm to where voltage increases. Rap lightly on the generator with a hammer while observing your voltage. If no change, move to the voltage regulator and tap lightly here Tap lightly on the battery. Tap around all electrical connections. Disconnect any gauge that is malfunctioning. Tug at your wiring while observing voltage readings. From what I understand, the intermittent failure is vibration sensitive and this may cause the problem to show up.
Luck.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:10 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
We tried some more things with the charging system this morning, but there are still issues. Driving in to town this morning the gauge was very erratic. Engine speed seemed to be a factor--more speed seemed to cause more movement on the gauge. The first thing we did was replace the fields. The armature was replaced several years ago and still looks new. With the new fields, the generator ran and charged beautifully on the bench. On the truck, we still had the erratic gauge--the needle sometimes sweeping from full charge to full discharge. We then proceeded to try the different regulators. The original--no charge. The spare--over 7 Volts of charge but an erratic gauge. The regulator involved in the spectacular failure last week-end--6.7 volts of charge and a fairly steady gauge. Out on a test run, after about 6 miles, the gauge got real steady. Sadly because the system stopped charging!!!

And that's where we are. My friend thinks the problem must be in the regulator. Number 4 is expected tomorrow morning. Are we missing something? Do Chinese regulators have a reputation for being bad? I believe the regulator coming tomorrow is from Standard Ignition.

Jim

Old 07-10-2018, 02:31 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Make sure the regulator's "feet" are well grounded to the firewall, and check all the grounds to chassis and engine.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:57 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
bhalemail has a good reputation on FTE.bhalemail has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Make sure the regulator's "feet" are well grounded to the firewall, and check all the grounds to chassis and engine.
Based on something that was mentioned earlier about having to add a ground wire because a guage was working erratically i would make sure the cab to frame, frame to block, block to battery grounds are all secure and clean.
It does seem to be related to vibration which would make sense during driving and a loose ground. I had issues with my electric wipers on my 52 not always working and i added a ground from the center of the firewall to the engine block which fixed the issue even though i had a ground from the from lower cab corner to the frame, which then grounded to the block.

I can't imagine the regulators are as bad as the china supplied condensers! but maybe.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:57 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Thanks Ross and Bill. Improper grounding could be the problem. There is a ground wire specifically for the regulator included in my new harness. I've been attaching it to one of the regulator "feet". One time this morning when we were messing around with the regulators, my friend started loosening a screw on one of the covers, and simultaneously the system started charging. It didn't stay charging, however.

Jim

Old 07-10-2018, 05:10 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Ray, I somehow missed your post. Sorry. Thanks for weighing in. We will be sure to use your procedure for tracking down our problem.

I was just out with the truck (before I saw Ray's post) and cleaned up the fire wall where the regulator "feet" attach. I've done this before, but I did it again. I got the metal all nice and shiny and added washers between the "feet" and the firewall. I had low expectations that this would make a difference because it looked like the regulator had been making good contact with the fire wall. When I fired up the engine, however, the system was charging again--6.7 volts-- just like before my road test this morning. The gauge was making wild swings, so I expect the charging may be short lived (also like this morning). There are probably multiple bad grounds, shorts, etc. I'll take Rays advice and start by disconnecting the gauges that don't work. The temp gauge for sure doesn't work, and the oil pressure always reads the same after the engine is started.

Jim

Old 07-10-2018, 06:55 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
Where does the harness ground for the reg connect on the other end?

Old 07-10-2018, 07:54 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Ross, it goes to the generator.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:19 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
Try connecting from that ground wire at the reg to the ground post of the battery.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Holley 1904 Carb Question

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.