Holley 1904 Carb Question - Page 31 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Holley 1904 Carb Question

Old 12-05-2017, 07:26 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all
A quick check this afternoon of my choke set up showed that it was opening and closing as it should. The choke is hard to pull out and push in though. It's as if the "curved part" of the choke linkage that opens the throttle part way as the choke is pulled, is binding too much on the screw used for adjusting the idle speed (not the mixture screw--the other one). I can't really see anything that is wrong though. Last time I just took everything apart and put it back together, and my problems went away. As I'm looking at my situation today, however, I can't imagine why that would have worked.

Jim

Old 12-05-2017, 07:46 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
You are supposed to depress the accelerator pedal when you pull on the choke cable, otherwise, yes, the throttle screw scrapes along the fast idle cam.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:24 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all
Ross, as always you are absolutely right! I had forgotten about the throttle needing to be open part way. I'm getting old and it shows.

So, Ross has solved one part of the problem. With the accelerator depressed, the choke is still a little "stiff", but much closer to normal. My cable is original and probably needs some attention.

Jim

Old 12-05-2017, 09:28 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Try spraying WD 40 or some other lube on the choke cable and move it in and out to loosen it up.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:22 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
I took the whole cable out of the truck, made sure the end of the wire was real straight, and pulled the wire completely out of the sheath. Then I soaked the sheath in a can of Purple Cleaner for a couple days, and went over the wire with a Scotchbrite pad. I flushed the sheath really good with hot water, then squirted motor oil into it, put the wire back in. MUCH smoother!

Old 01-12-2018, 05:54 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Ouch--Bitten again. I moved my truck to the friendly confines for my friend's shop and began installing my new wiring harness (the one from Narragansett Reproductions). As you may remember, it was advertised to look and function exactly as the original. Well, it didn't take very long to realize that what I had was not going to work at all.

After some measuring and some phone calls, we determined that I had mistakenly been sent a harness for a 226 cid flathead engine or maybe a 239 cid V8. Narragansett advertises "Satisfaction Guaranteed", and they are going to work with me--which is appreciated. I need to send them my old harness and they will make a new harness to match. I will only be out the time and hassle involved with the switch.

While I'm waiting, I want to fix my choke, correct the installation of my heat riser, fix the gas tank leak, and install door seals and heat and sound insulation. I'm also in the process of having my viper motor rebuilt. With these tasks completed, my truck should be in prime condition.

Jim

Old 03-30-2018, 09:49 AM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
So, here it is almost April and the wire harness mix-up mentioned above is still not resolved. I originally placed the order for a replacement harness in October. At the end of November, my new harness arrived, but it wasn't the right one for my truck. At the company's request, I sent them my original harness, and they assured me they could build a duplicate for me.

Time went by, and my replacement harness (or my original) didn't arrive. A call to the company revealed that they were having difficulties. They said the original harness I sent them did not match-up at all to the pattern that they had for my engine and model of truck. Their conclusion was that my original harness had been modified by the military. I didn't really buy that, but didn't have much choice other then to accept their conclusion. The company said they would have to draw a new pattern which would add to the time required for the build.

More weeks slipped by. Finally about a month ago, the company said my harness would be ready to ship in a day or two. A couple of days turned into a couple of weeks--and still no harness. Finally, on Saturday March 24, I spoke with the fellow working on my harness. He said he shipped my harness out Thursday March 22. I should expect it Monday or Tuesday of this week.

Monday and Tuesday are of course past, and the harness did not show up. I've spoken several times to the owner of the company. His explanation is that his employee remembers shipping my harness, but they have no record (tracking number) for the shipment. He is hoping that my harness was shipped by mistake to one of their other customers, and that they will be hearing shortly from that customer. In the mean time, the wait for my harness continues.

Thanks for indulging me. I just had to share my most recent experience with another of my venders. I've had several unfortunate experiences as you may remember. The floor jack and air compressor being two notable examples.

Happy Easter everyone!

Jim

Old 03-30-2018, 11:21 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
Sounds like a load of BS to me. Sorry to hear it. I think they owe you a correct matching harness, one way or another, and ASAP. Getting them to do it may be a problem. Was it the engine part of the harness that was different?

Old 03-30-2018, 01:03 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Yes, the engine part of the harness is what jumped out at us as not matching up. The engine is a regular stock engine with all the accessary parts (generator, starter, battery, voltage regulator, etc.) in the usual places. That's why I didn't really buy the company's story that the original harness had been modified by the military. I think the military modifications were limited to paint.

If the replacement, and my original harness don't turn up, the company is willing to make another harness. The only question becomes when that will happen, and what issues I might have with it.

Jim

Old 03-30-2018, 01:09 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
I think I'd ask them to buy a Dennis Carpenter braided harness TODAY and ship it to you for what you have already paid them. Could be there in a few days. Likely cheaper for them than trying to figure it out and make one.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:34 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Good suggestion, Ross. That would certainly solve a problem that doesn't appear to have a happy ending in sight. For whatever reason, I seem to make bad decisions when it comes to hiring people and choosing venders for the things I need done on my truck.

Jim

P.S. I'm afraid the company is going to insist that a regular harness from Dennis Carpenter is not going to work on my truck and will not solve the problem. They are absolutely convinced that my truck has been modified.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:39 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel View Post
Good suggestion, Ross. That would certainly solve a problem that doesn't appear to have a happy ending in sight. For whatever reason, I seem to make bad decisions when it comes to hiring people and choosing venders for the things I need done on my truck.
Jim
P.S. I'm afraid the company is going to insist that a regular harness from Dennis Carpenter is not going to work on my truck and will not solve the problem. They are absolutely convinced that my truck has been modified.
Jim, I'm so sorry about your harness fiasco. I hope they do the right thing. The Dennis Carpenter idea is a good one. Tell them if your engine electrics were modified the you will take care of it yourself. I hope they fix it soon as spring is here!

Old 03-31-2018, 08:37 AM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Abe says, "Spring is here!" And it must be true in some places, but this is the view this morning from my front porch:

We had about 6 inches of snow overnight, and it's still snowing hard.

Happy Easter everyone!

Jim

Old 03-31-2018, 09:39 AM
abe
Post Fiend
LOL! Well the calendar says Spring is here. It has been cold and rainy and dreary here. Yesterday it go into the 50's but it rained off and on. Today is sunny but cold, frost on the windshields.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:40 AM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Just a couple more "Spring" pictures as you settle in to enjoy Easter festivities with your families:

Some early rising grandchildren enjoying the fine "Spring" snowfall.

Heading down to the lake to check the tip-ups.

Jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Holley 1904 Carb Question

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.