Holley 1904 Carb Question - Page 28 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Holley 1904 Carb Question

Old 08-06-2017, 04:54 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all
I had a weak moment. It won't happen again...it's just that when I saw all the wear on the gears in my transmission, I realized that my shifting technique (and my Dad's) maybe isn't all that good. My Dad never double clutched. He just taught us to change gears slowly and to up shift as soon as practical without revving up the engine.

Jim

Old 08-06-2017, 05:57 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
I really did not see any chipped teeth, just a lot of worn teeth ends from harsh gear engagement. I would SWAG that transmission would run as long as you want to run it so long as the bearings are tight and no one attempts burn outs or abuses it other ways. In other words, treat it with respect and don't force the shift. Replacing those parts would be best.
Just one old man's opinion.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:04 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all
Thanks for weighing in, Ray. The gears in the pictures are from my replacement transmission. When the engine was re-built, we replaced the original transmission with a similar T9 unit that I picked up last summer as a "spare". When we discovered the replacement transmission was having some bearing issues, our first thought was to rebuild the original transmission and make the "spare" a spare transmission again. It was then that we discovered the extent of the wear in my original transmission--no chips out of the gears but still the rounding off of the gears is more apparent than what you see in the pictures. I'm thinking my Dad wasn't the only Coast Guardsman that didn't double clutch.

Edit: So now the plan is to rebuild the "spare" transmission and work on my shifting technique going forward. Van Pelt Sales seems to have the gears I want to replace, and I already have the bearings, gaskets, and seals that will be needed.

Jim

Old 08-17-2017, 10:11 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
The transmission parts are in! They are about a week late, but they are here. Now the focus becomes finding the time to get the transmission back together and re-installed in the truck. My mechanic friend has just been swamped with business lately. It's going to be tough for him to squeeze me in. Here are some pictures of the new parts:

The reverse idler gear is used. Hopefully it is better than what I have. Both parts were pricey--the total for the replacement parts was well north of $300.

I painted my bumpers over the last few days while entertaining a very active 4 year old granddaughter. The results are very disappointing, and I'm embarrassed to post pictures. They came out looking more like Abe's yellow jackets than something that belongs on a truck. I should have realized the yellow I was using was too bright before putting down three coats of it over two coats of Por 15.

My bumpers were originally caution yellow and black. After 40 years of weathering, I thought they looked cool. New and shiny, however, just doesn't seem to work. I may have to sand down my bumpers and start over.

This is how my bumpers looked originally:

Cool right?

Jim

Old 08-18-2017, 12:57 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Personal opinion, I'd go with the body color.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:32 AM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Thanks for the suggestion, Ross. I'll have to give gray some consideration. I was thinking black as the only other option.

Gray might be just the right solution--not original, but still something the CG painting detail might have done. After all, everything else on the truck was originally gray--headlight and nose trim, wheels, hub caps, running boards, cab and cargo floors, etc.

Jim

Old 08-18-2017, 09:47 AM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
Personal opinion: Go with the yellow/black safety scheme if you're going back with the Coast Guard insignia on the doors. Black would be this old man's second choice.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:31 AM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Thanks Ray. You are probably right. It was always my intention to keep my truck as original as possible. The government paint regulations at the time probably called for caution yellow and black bumpers. I had a paint guy try to match the original yellow. Spatters of the color he came up with can be seen in the gear pictures. I thought the contrast of his color with the black was a bit too much--maybe I would like it better if it were muted in some way.

Another problem with my bumper paint job is that I didn't sand down to bare metal. I wanted to preserve the original stripe pattern. In doing so, a lot of imperfections were also preserved and "magnified" in the shiny new paint contributing to the unattractive result. Maybe sanding, re-striping, and muting are the way to go?

Jim

Old 08-19-2017, 07:37 AM
38 coupe
Posting Guru
38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.
I'd go to the spray can section of your favorite purveyor of such product and look at the yellow options. Take a couple home and try out the yellow. When you get one that looks right, then sand down and do over. I suspect a bright yellow in a semi gloss will look right. Too much gloss in the paint frequently looks out of place on an old truck.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:46 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Jim, I had an idea for you today about your bumper. I came up behind a PA State Trooper today. His rear bumper was covered with a black and yellow sticker that looked a lot like the bumper on your truck.

There must be some business out there that makes stickers and decals like this where state police departments or other first responders buy such things.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:07 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Decision time will be tomorrow. I was camping with the family this week-end, but got back in time to do some grinding on my bumpers. The stripes are gone. The many layers of paint are mostly gone too.

Jim

Old 08-20-2017, 08:19 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
After the grinding, this is the look we have going on now:

There are some dents and other "character" defects, but I'm not sure how far I want to go with repairs at this point.

Jim

Old 08-20-2017, 08:58 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
The bumpers look great. But I wish you'd have shown us a pic first...

How did you fix that tear on the front bumper near the frame horn?

Did you look for a supplier of the yellow and black stickers? A gal that goes to our church works at the state police barracks. I could ask her to ask her boss.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:05 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Good eye (and memory) Abe. My front bumper was originally in bad shape. Part of it looked like it was ready to fall off. I had someone weld it for me. He did a pretty good job, but with the paint removed, the repair is quite noticeable.

I took some more pictures that show the "character" defects:

I suppose I do need to do some filling. Right? I haven't found a source for the yellow stickers. Let me know if you find a place that has them. Thanks.

My wife agrees with Ross and thinks the bumpers should be gray, but I think I'm staying with black--with yellow stripes to be added sometime after Truckstock.

Jim

Edit: I forgot that I had just recently posted a picture showing the original damaged condition of my front bumper. I was thinking Abe remembered that little detail about my truck from 3 years ago.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:08 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
Something in the correct dimensions could probably be found here or with a similar search.
https://www.google.com/search?q=yell...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Holley 1904 Carb Question

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.