Holley 1904 Carb Question - Page 26 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Holley 1904 Carb Question

Old 06-19-2017, 07:13 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all
My truck made it safely to the "new" shop today. The first thing the painter wanted was for the rest of the front clip to be remove. So we are back to this:

Parts in the paint booth at last:

The painter thinks he'll be done by Thursday! We'll see. Then I can start putting everything back together. My goal is to be running and driving again by July 4th!

Jim

Old 06-19-2017, 09:26 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
That is awesome. There is a lot of exciting things going on at FTE in the paint department! Your 52, Jim, Dave's 55, and Pinecone Tom's truck is awaiting paint, if his painter gets his butt in gear!

Old 06-21-2017, 03:18 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all
DONE! The finish coat went on this morning. Tomorrow starts the reconstruction process. As some of you may remember, I had great difficulty getting my front clip re-assembled 2 years ago. My take away from that experience is doing things in the proper sequence is important. Does anyone have any opinions about when the hood should go on? Last time I put it on last. How about running boards? Last time I did them first. Does anyone think it's a good idea to attach the upper and lower fenders and install them as a single unit?

Not surprisingly, my paint job is far from perfect. I did the prep work, and my lack of experience shows. I didn't really need (or pay) for a fancy paint job, however. I just want my truck to look respectable, and it will if I can get it back together again.

Jim

Old 06-22-2017, 10:04 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Today went surprisingly well! My truck is essentially reassembled. Everything seemed to fit as it should, and with someone helping, we were able to get things done in a hurry. The running boards and trim pieces for the hood are really all that is left to do. One running board and the upper valance need to be re-painted, however.

Jim

Old 06-22-2017, 11:26 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel View Post
Today went surprisingly well! My truck is essentially reassembled. Everything seemed to fit as it should, and with someone helping, we were able to get things done in a hurry. The running boards and trim pieces for the hood are really all that is left to do. One running board and the upper valance need to be re-painted, however.

Jim
Great! You must have been working so fast that you forgot to take pictures!

Why do they need repainted?

Old 06-23-2017, 06:27 AM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
You're right, Abe. We worked right through lunch--didn't even take time to pee. We were pushing to finish, and we almost did. I can't work on the truck today or over the week-end because of family doings. The painter is going to finish up the things that need to be repainted, however. Monday we will be back at it.

I thought of a few more things that aren't finished. The license plate light, cowl vent, weather stripping, door handles, and wipers are things that will need to be added to the to do list for Monday. Also the hood to fender gap needs some adjusting. Our biggest challenge may be fitting the running boards and getting the connection to the fenders right.

I decided to wait with the pictures until all the parts are back on the truck. Also, when I talk about being "finished", that doesn't include the interior. There is still plenty of work to be done.

Jim

Old 06-23-2017, 06:38 AM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
What a tease!

Old 06-23-2017, 07:09 AM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Ray, maybe I should wait until Truckstock in September to make the grand reveal? Wouldn't that be dramatic? It may take me until then to really finish.

Jim

Old 06-23-2017, 10:58 AM
mOROTBREATH
Posting Guru
mOROTBREATH has a good reputation on FTE.mOROTBREATH has a good reputation on FTE.mOROTBREATH has a good reputation on FTE.
Ray, maybe I should wait until Truckstock in September to make the grand reveal? Wouldn't that be dramatic? It may take me until then to really finish.

Jim
I guess we can wait until truckstock to start being friends again, too....

Old 06-23-2017, 12:20 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation

Jim
Come on Jim, save us all that drama. I visualize everyone sitting around awaiting the arrival of Jim and his pretty new paint jobed and quiet running, powerful engined panel truck. I would mention that Jim would arrive very rested from sitting on the newly rebuilt seats. Most of us do just fine with bits and pieces of information.
You know all is well Of course, it is your call.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:21 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
I was just kidding about going for the drama. I should be ready to post up some pictures on Monday. It will no doubt be a little anticlimactic. I've been thinking about painting my truck for a long time, and now that it's finally done, reality doesn't quite match up with what I had imagined for so long that it would be. But the pictures are coming, and you can judge for yourselves.

Working on my truck has practically been like a full time job for me since January. I will need some new goals and pursuits to fill the vacuum. My wife will probably be able to come up with a few things she'd like me to be doing. LOL. For sure, I'll have to work hard at not allowing myself to hyper-focus on the various flaws and be content with the way my truck turned out. It would be real bad to start dreaming about taking out some of those small dents I missed in my prep work rather than enjoying the "ride".

Jim

Old 06-23-2017, 04:36 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
Jim, conjure up a story for each of those dents. The truck was probably used as a paddy wagon by the shore patrol. The Coast Guard did have patrols, did they not? Or were they all the good guys? Think of the resistance of those miss behaving Coast Guard members when they were picked up and hauled in to cool off.
Perhaps a separate thread to document each dent is in order.
And the rust on the inside of the wheel wells was caused by ______________. Fill in the blank with no more than 1000 words. JK

Old 06-23-2017, 10:54 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
That's a good idea Ray. I'll have to come up with some stories to explain those imperfections, but I don't think my truck was ever a paddy wagon. Paddy wagons were a Navy thing.

My truck was stationed in Sault Ste. Marie where it received some hard use for sure. Back in the 1950's and before, communications between Coast Guard stations and light houses along the Lake Superior/ St. Mary's River shore were carried over special military telephone lines. Crews from the Soo maintained these lines, and I believe my truck was one of the vehicles that was a part of this operation. It would have been used for "trouble shooting" and to take a crew out to where work needed to done. It may also have been used to shift personal between the various CG facilities. Besides the usual 2 front panel truck seats, my truck was equipped with a wooden bench in the cargo area.

My Dad did lots of things in the service, but after the war, toward the end of his career, he was a part of the telephone crew that operated out of the Sault Ste. Marie station. Besides the Ford panel truck, the telephone crew also had a Dodge Power Wagon, and something they called a Motor Toboggan. Sault Ste. Marie can get over 200 inches of snow in a season, hence the need for a motor toboggan and all the rust in my truck.

Jim

Old 06-26-2017, 10:10 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Here it is Monday and no pictures. Sorry. The running boards took some time but went back on without a lot of drama. We started to have trouble with the license plate light. Things got worse when we tackled the rear window glass. The rubber gaskets were so stiff, and maybe the replacement glass pieces weren't cut just right. Moving on to the cowl vent and the door seals that go in the little tracks attached to the frame; things really slowed down. We messed around trying to correct the hood to fender gap, but we weren't very successful. The starter is out and the old drive is back on, but it still needs to be re-installed. Missing screws for the door handles required an unexpected trip to town. Pretty soon the day was over and the hood trim still isn't on...and no pictures were taken. Busy and frustrated most of the day. Tomorrow...

Jim

Old 06-28-2017, 09:14 AM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Sorry to be late with my pictures. My internet was been down--still is. I'm at a Jeep dealership for an oil change.

There still are some external details that are not finished--like bumpers, mirrors, and the nose trim on the hood. Also the hood to fender gap is still way out of adjustment, but here are some pictures anyway:

I was able to get about 25 miles on my newly re-built engine. The engine ran fine, but the clutch was way out of adjustment, and the transmission seemed to have more bearing noise then I was hoping for.

Adjusting the clutch turned out to be a major deal. Everything was rusted up. It's better now, but I still couldn't really enjoy my drive because I was sitting on a box and couldn't get the mirrors adjusted so I could see through them.

Jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Holley 1904 Carb Question

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.