Holley 1904 Carb Question - Page 25 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Holley 1904 Carb Question

Old 05-05-2017, 10:08 AM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
I am not going to recommend a product but only suggest you do not allow moisture to get into or onto the exposed filler. Looking good, BTW.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:06 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all
Thanks Dennis and Ray. While I've been working on the truck this spring, I've been keeping it out of the rain (and snow) and parked inside every night. Is that enough to keep the moisture out of the exposed filler? I thought about keeping the exposed metal protected with spray can primer, but ended up not doing that. I still could though. I've been watching for any surface rust, but so far haven't seen any.

Jim

Old 05-15-2017, 06:52 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all
So, this was going to be the week for spraying primer and moving my truck on to a professional to finish. The weather has warmed up, but along with the warmer temps, has come rain. It's raining now, and the whole week looks questionable for painting outside.

Since the last up date, I've been smoothing out the body work and filling in the little imperfections. I've been working on the hood too. It has some dings and also does some "oil canning". It's going to need some professional help I think.

I've also been looking at the running boards. I paid a lot for them, and they are all dinged up--not rusted, but not very good either. It's a little scary what someone is going to charge to straighten them out. I might be better off looking for a better set.

I'm getting the dash prepped for paint too. I have the gauges out and some of the trim off. I'm still trying to figure out the ignition and light switches and the starter button. I hope it all goes back together.

Jim

Old 06-02-2017, 07:43 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Life has been getting in the way, and I haven't been working on the truck lately. Today, however, was a perfect day, and for the first time in a long time, I was able to put in a full day sanding and filling. I'm just about ready to say it's as good as it's ever going to be, and proceed to spraying on some more primer and calling it good. My plan is to use an epoxy primer followed by a high build primer. I will spray the entire exterior, hood, running boards, misc. parts, and the dash and door jambs. Once it's primed again, I'm intending to take my truck to a professional to finish the job for me.

Here are some pictures from today:

Jim

Old 06-07-2017, 08:15 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Incredibly, I'm still standing away--day after day. There seems to be no end to the little imperfections and problem areas on my truck. I did, however, learn an interesting lesson today.

I disconnected my choke and hand throttle, because I want to paint my dash while the windshield is out for painting the exterior. What I didn't suspect was that with the choke wire disconnected, the choke is on rather than off. I had to move my truck at the end of the day, and to my horror it died after 100 feet or so. There was lots of black smoke, and with the accelerator floored, the engine barely kept running before dying with quite an alarming sound. Very scary. Fortunately my friend, the mechanic, knew right away that the engine was flooding. Left on my own, I wouldn't have suspected that the choke was the problem. I would have assumed the worst and thought something had gone terribly wrong with my rebuilt engine.

Jim

Old 06-07-2017, 08:52 PM
38 coupe
Posting Guru
38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.
Yep, spring loaded choke. You'd have thought it failed to the safer off position...

Looking forward to pictures when you get the final paint on, you will have one nice panel.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:12 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
At this point, final paint seems a long way off. Funny thing is, just last week I was thinking I was just about ready. Adding the dash to the to do list complicated matters. If you do the dash, then you should probably do the door jambs. If the door jambs are included, then why not the inside of the doors? ...And so it goes. The inside of my truck is really beat up. Getting everything ready for paint is a little overwhelming. The weather has been good though, and I've been working every day--just like a regular job. A few months ago my friend was teasing my that I'd still be in his shop in June. He was right!

Jim

Old 06-07-2017, 10:00 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Might as well do it right Jim! If you don't do the inside of the doors you'll be driving down the road looking at your nice dash and then look at your doors and think "Why didn't I paint the doors?"

Old 06-08-2017, 12:46 AM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Exactly! The only trouble is, everything is in such bad shape--chipped and pealing paint--surface rust--dents of course--and crude welds that were never ground down, are everywhere. The CG kept things "ship shape" by painting every square inch with a brush, and their paint, after 65 years, is coming off. It's a work truck (I keep reminding myself) and it doesn't need to be perfect. Settling on the right balance is the tricky part. The guys in the shop restore tractors and cars and think everything needs to look like the projects they do, but that's just not possible with my skills and budget, (and time constraints). I'm 70! LOL. So for a while yet I'll be sanding and grinding and working to achieve the best result possible given my limitations.

Jim

Old 06-10-2017, 11:58 AM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
So, this is the interior after some initial wire brushing, sanding, grinding, and just a little filling:

Since these pictures were taken, another full day's worth of sanding and work have been done. It's looking better. I have some very nice original panels from Colorado that go along the bottom of the sides next to the floor. At least that part of the interior will be in good shape.

Even the shop guys are beginning to say that the outside is sanded and filled enough to think about priming again. I started using spot putty on the small imperfections, and that has been working pretty well for me. A guy is coming Monday to give me a price on doing the priming and finish coat. He seemed open to allowing me to help with the block sanding.

Jim

Old 06-10-2017, 01:23 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
Looking good, Jim. As stated above, get the best surface preparation you can.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:49 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
The painter came to look at my truck today. He was a day late and didn't like my body work or the surface prep that I had done so far. He's willing to paint my truck on a time and material basis, and also willing to let me "help" with the block sanding, but described the work I had done as only 75% finished. I'm a teacher and 75% is a D, so I'm feeling a little down. Monday I worked on the interior, but after the painter's visit, I'm back to sanding the outside again. I'll be finished with this sometime, but I don't really know when.

Jim

Old 06-14-2017, 09:36 PM
38 coupe
Posting Guru
38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.
Hang in there. For me paint and body is the least fun part of old Fords. It will be worth it when your truck looks good.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:17 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Thanks Fred. I spent the last two days working on the problem areas the painter pointed out to me. I think I'm finally done!

Look what came in the mail today to cheer me up:

An FTE member was selling these. The replacement boards I had been using came off a dump truck and are all beat up. My new boards by comparison are in excellent conditions. There are just a few small dents and some chips in the paint. I'll see what my new painter guy has to say about them. They appear to be very solid and may not need to be sand blasted before painting.

I think Monday is the day my truck finally leaves my friend's garage for another guy's garage. I'm hoping it will be at the new garage for only a matter of a few days.

Jim

Old 06-14-2017, 10:40 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Just for fun, this is what my original boards looked like:

So, this is what can happen to something left outside for 55 years! Fortunately I spend at least some time indoors, so at 70, I'm looking a little better than my truck's running boards. Like our trucks, we do pick up some "patina" though as the years roll by. It's unavoidable.

Jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Holley 1904 Carb Question

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.