Holley 1904 Carb Question - Page 24 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Holley 1904 Carb Question

Old 04-26-2017, 09:55 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all
I painted the front clip in my garage and even though I made somewhat of an enclosure with plastic sheeting, there was still overspray everywhere. As a compromise, I'm thinking about doing the remaining body work, sanding, priming, and blocking myself outside. I could then take my truck to a professional for the final paint job. My friend even hinted today that he might be open to letting me keep my truck at his shop, if I did the messy work "out back".

The advantage of working at the shop rather than at home is the compressed air supply that would be available. As some of you may remember, I recently purchased a new compressor--there was considerable drama involved! It's still not installed yet BTW.

As nice as my new compressor is, it doesn't compare to the commercial compressor at the shop. I could sand, grind, and spray to my hearts content--but it would be outside, in the dirt, and my work schedule would need to be coordinated with the weather forecast. Are a few bugs and a little dirt in a primer coat a big deal?

Old 04-26-2017, 10:51 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
I've painted cars in a garage, it made such a mess, and the results were less than spectacular. Other guys have the touch, but I am very happy to "write a check" on that stuff. Plus, depending on the type of paint, there are some health issues unless you use some pretty expensive PPE.
Agreed! You are over your budget already aren't you? So whats another over budget item?

I am of the belief that if I do something and screw it up, I'll see it everyday and be mad at myself. If someone else does it and has a blemish I can get mad at him when I see it and I feel good about myself! Make sense?

Old 04-26-2017, 11:56 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all
The engine work and re-doing the seats definitely took my project (and financial commitment) to a whole new level. I started out just wanting something road worthy enough to make the weekly 5 mile round trip to the dump and to be able to do it with some degree of style and without a lot of embarrassing dings or visible rust showing. Now, my priorities seem to have shifted, and I'm headed toward a different, more ambitious, outcome for my truck.

I've clearly been influenced for better or worse by time spent on FTE. My wife, who spends no time on FTE, hasn't quite caught the new vision yet, but I'm working on her. She did spot the engine rebuild bill on the master card statement, but she got over it quicker than I expected. Spending money on an old truck is becoming the new normal in our household. It's great.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:04 AM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
There's been a little snow on the robins in the northwoods--not the best conditions for early birds or for outside body work. My mechanic friend has agreed to let me stay and do body work at his shop as long as the painting and sanding are done outside. I'll do as much as I feel comfortable doing, and then follow Abe's advice and take my truck to a professional to correct my mistakes and finish the job.

We've had lots of April showers--May flowers are just around the corner. At least that's what we tell ourselves.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:54 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
It's Wisconsin! If you don't like the weather, wait a few hours.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:55 AM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
That's true, Ted. Yesterday's snow is mostly gone already, but it's still only 32 degrees this morning. The saying is that there is supposed to be three snows on the robins. So far we've had two.

I'm anxious to get into sanding mode. People that have looked at my truck say the media used for blasting was too coarse and LOTS of sanding will be needed along with several additional coats of filler primer. After blasting, two gallons of primer were applied--a gallon of self etching which the guy doing the spraying wanted to use, and a gallon of epoxy which I had already purchased. So the primer is thick, but "people" are saying it's not smooth enough for paint.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:54 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel View Post
That's true, Ted. Yesterday's snow is mostly gone already, but it's still only 32 degrees this morning. The saying is that there is supposed to be three snows on the robins.
Robins are cool birds but when it comes to the weather they must be dumber than a post. The best indicator of spring is when you see turkey vultures, they know better.

I'm anxious to get into sanding mode.
Ugh. See your doctor

Old 04-29-2017, 11:02 AM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel View Post
. So the primer is thick, but "people" are saying it's not smooth enough for paint.
If a knowledgeable person says the primer is not smooth enough, take heed. Paint does not cover up existing "sins" in surface preparation. Ask the "people" for advice, what to do next, what grade paper to use.
Are we having fun?

Old 04-29-2017, 03:17 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
The "people" are saying the surface under the primer is too rough due to the aggressive media that was used for blasting. The primer, thick as it is, is thought to be inadequate to fill the metal pitting that is present in some places. There doesn't appear to be much shrinking or distortion thankfully, as the blasting was done with water. I'll ask about what grit sandpaper to use when the weather improves and I'm able to break out my DA sander. It would be a shame to sand off all the "protective" primer I paid good money for. I'm thinking just a light sanding with the DA followed up with more primer. My friend, the mechanic, and his helper are both into restoring cars and they will hopefully guide me through the sanding process.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:44 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
It was a nice sunny day today--the first in a long time. High temp was close to 60. The sanding has begun! I spent most of the day working on the rear wheel arches and other rust repair areas. They are getting close (I think) to where they need to be.

I was able to complete a first pass from the doors back with my DA sander. I used 180 grit sand paper, and I was pleased with how it went. Next time, I'll make another pass and then hand sand the areas that can't be reached with the DA. Another big day like today, and I should be just about ready for more primer. I'm going to put a big tarp down to get my truck out of the dirt, and do the spraying outside.

I still haven't gotten the FORD letters off the front. I also want to remove the door handles and headlight trim, and the parking lights, before spraying primer. As long as I'm painting, should I also do inside the cab, the doors, and door jambs? The alternative would be to leave these areas for another time--like when I do the cargo area. Thanks.

Here are some pictures from today:

Old 05-03-2017, 06:55 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Sorry, the pictures didn't come through. Here they are:

Old 05-03-2017, 09:08 PM
mOROTBREATH
Posting Guru
mOROTBREATH has a good reputation on FTE.mOROTBREATH has a good reputation on FTE.mOROTBREATH has a good reputation on FTE.
That truck is gonna look gorgeous. Honestly I'd rather have that color of white than my original yellow.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:31 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Thanks mOROTBREATH. I hope it does look good when its finished. The front clip is color matched, as best we could, to the original gray as ordered by the Coast Guard. We used the cowl area under the hood for our original color sample. I've been trying, but without success, to get modern mixing instructions for "navy grey" as it appeared in the 1950's. I'm thinking the color we settled on for the front clip is just a little lighter than it should be. It's interesting that before my Dad got the truck, the CG had given it a brush paint job and the color they used wasn't even close to the official regulation color. I guess navy grey can be any color that someone in authority says it is. I'm going to re-paint the whole truck so everything will match. I need to get those letters off the front first. I really regret putting them on!!

Old 05-05-2017, 06:18 AM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Yesterday, I worked mostly on hand sanding. I also spent time on the roof and hood. I'm still pleased with how the sanding is going. I was afraid I would need to be super careful with the DA sander so as to not break through the primer to bare metal, but that is really not an issue. The primer is thick, and there is a color difference between the self etching and epoxy layers.

I'm just about ready to add some more primer. I was thinking I would need several layers of high build with blocking in between, but everything looks pretty smooth and straight to me (for a work truck). I do have exposed filler in the rust repair areas, even a little exposed metal here and there. Any recommendations for what primer to use, given the exposed filler and metal. Rust control is much more important to me than a mirror finish? Thanks.

Jim

Old 05-05-2017, 09:08 AM
dennisb56
Posting Guru
dennisb56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dennisb56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Jim,
Your truck is really looking good. Love how the Front clip looks.
You'll be done in no time!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Holley 1904 Carb Question

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.