Could my truck be breaking CPS's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 07:08 AM
rlansdon
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could my truck be breaking CPS's?

Hello everyone,
I've installed three new CPS'S over the last month and still my truck is not running correctly. Well, actually it's not running right now. It'll crank and run very rough for maybe 10 seconds then die. I've replaced CPS 3 times and I'm still getting the P0344 code! The first two cps were crappy autozone ones but the last one was the Ford purple gasket. What other possibilities could there be? Is there a wrong way to install? I did notice every time I pull one off there's a bit of oil on it. Is that normal?
Thanks in advance!

Old 04-14-2016, 07:55 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
The oil is normal. How does your CPS pigtail and plug look? Did you inspect the wiring all the way back to where it goes back into the harness?

CPS problems are a booger that's for sure. Hopefully you can get it figured out!

Old 04-14-2016, 08:18 AM
rlansdon
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
The oil is normal. How does your CPS pigtail and plug look? Did you inspect the wiring all the way back to where it goes back into the harness?

CPS problems are a booger that's for sure. Hopefully you can get it figured out!
It seems logical to do that but I have not. I'm not with my truck right now but what does the other side of the harness connect to?

Old 04-14-2016, 07:03 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Extended cranking will set a cps code.

Look at the front a the cps for scratches. If you have scratches then you have issues

Old 04-14-2016, 07:50 PM
rlansdon
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fordpride
Extended cranking will set a cps code.

Look at the front a the cps for scratches. If you have scratches then you have issues
Okay so far I found that I checked the fuel pump pressure at the Schrader valve and the crank pressure was 15 psi. And this was using a regular tire gauge mind you so it could be wrong but does that sound like it could be a fuel problem rather than a CPS problem? Like it was mentioned before long cranking could set a CPS code so I wonder if my fuel pump is the culprit and not something else? How could I test that?

Old 04-14-2016, 08:05 PM
rlansdon
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rlansdon
Okay so far I found that I checked the fuel pump pressure at the Schrader valve and the crank pressure was 15 psi. And this was using a regular tire gauge mind you so it could be wrong but does that sound like it could be a fuel problem rather than a CPS problem? Like it was mentioned before long cranking could set a CPS code so I wonder if my fuel pump is the culprit and not something else? How could I test that?
ALSO I check the IPR and the plug socket is loose and wiggles I don't know if that's normal? Also the pigtail gasket fell apart. Could that be the issue as well?

Old 04-14-2016, 09:50 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Give use a rundown of the issue. We need more than "not running correctly" or "not running"

Old 04-15-2016, 06:40 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by rlansdon
15 is low if that is correct. Need at least 20. I have seen much more cranking when working on a nostart that was not fuel related.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:40 AM
rlansdon
Freshman User
About a month ago I was driving down the road and suddenly lost all power. Replaced CPS on the side of the road and drove it home. Drove it again and lost all power again and I could have the pedal floored and it would turtle crawl and suddenly it would all come back as if normal then lose all power randomly again.

The current status of the truck is that it will only start if I disconnect the ICP and that is quite rough and will only continue to run as long as I give it fuel. It has to crank for a bit before it will start.

What I've done thus far to troubleshoot: Map sensor hose was broken so I replaced, (it's throwing a code related to this, could that be what's causing it to lope?) replaced uvch and pigtails, glow plugs (since I was changing uvch), ordered another ICP because there's oil in the pigtail and connector area, IPR nut is secure but pigtail's gasket fell apart (hopefully will get a replacement today), also cleaned the fuel mesh in case of blockage. I've gotten a few codes using the Ford scanner my friend brought over and here are the codes: P0344 (Cam intermittent signal), P0603 (Keep alive memory error), P0237 (Turbocharger boost sensor)

Old 04-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
I just read a whole thread about how a bad baro sensor could cause those symptoms...

Old 04-15-2016, 07:55 PM
rlansdon
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
I just read a whole thread about how a bad baro sensor could cause those symptoms...
What's a baro sensor?

Old 04-17-2016, 03:16 PM
rlansdon
Freshman User
Took video of me trying to start it...

Here's a video of me trying to start the truck...

Old 04-17-2016, 04:34 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
You sure you're getting fuel?

Old 04-17-2016, 04:35 PM
rlansdon
Freshman User
Honestly I don't know. The fuel bowl is full. How would I test it?

Old 04-18-2016, 06:26 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
You can use a regular pen style pressure gauge. There's a Schrader valve on the fuel regulator on the driver's side of the bowl

Quick Reply: Could my truck be breaking CPS's?