Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 f350 engine swap or repair questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 06:46 PM
quaallen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 f350 engine swap or repair questions

Hello fellas..And lady's...just bought a93 f350crewcab long bed 4x4 with the 351w and c6..it was a state truck.only had 137k miles..body and frame is solid...BUT lines are crap and bolts on driver side exhaust manifold have no heads on half of them...I wouldn't care about manifolds except it has a leak.bad!!!...fist let me say I'm a carb engine kind of guy...And more then that I HATE ALL THE HOSES AND CRAP EVERY WHERE.... I eventually wanted to put in a diesel but who knows...in order to get to the exhaust manifolds I think I'm going to pull off the front clip... but I am worried about once I fix that then I'll see the heads need fixed and then more and more and more.. you know how it is.....I have a 351m with a new top end that runs great..was thinking of swapping that..... but it would have to come out of my other truck...diesel engine around here ate 800 or so with x amount of miles...the 351w in it now does not smoke but idle high some times and lots of rust on driver side head / exhaust manifold area...And it has but loads of vac lines and.crap... I'm sure has alittle to do with the way out runs.
So my question is put 351m in fix 351w or diesel?? What would be easier, cheaper, or smarter?? Just looking for some opinions...I don't have friends to ask...lol..thanks for any insight someone may have....

Old 04-13-2016, 07:31 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by quaallen
Hello fellas..And lady's...just bought a93 f350crewcab long bed 4x4 with the 351w and c6..it was a state truck.only had 137k miles..body and frame is solid...BUT lines are crap and bolts on driver side exhaust manifold have no heads on half of them...I wouldn't care about manifolds except it has a leak.bad!!!...fist let me say I'm a carb engine kind of guy...And more then that I HATE ALL THE HOSES AND CRAP EVERY WHERE.... I eventually wanted to put in a diesel but who knows...in order to get to the exhaust manifolds I think I'm going to pull off the front clip... but I am worried about once I fix that then I'll see the heads need fixed and then more and more and more.. you know how it is.....I have a 351m with a new top end that runs great..was thinking of swapping that..... but it would have to come out of my other truck...diesel engine around here ate 800 or so with x amount of miles...the 351w in it now does not smoke but idle high some times and lots of rust on driver side head / exhaust manifold area...And it has but loads of vac lines and.crap... I'm sure has alittle to do with the way out runs.
So my question is put 351m in fix 351w or diesel?? What would be easier, cheaper, or smarter?? Just looking for some opinions...I don't have friends to ask...lol..thanks for any insight someone may have....
Fix the 351W. Very straight forward job to replace the manifolds. Just soak them every day for at least a week with some Kroil penetrant
The 351m will NOT bot to your C6

Old 04-13-2016, 08:31 PM
quaallen
Senior User
The longer I sit and think about it you may be right....it is atleast worth the effort...to try...I'll gust keep soaking in pb....And hope for the best...I guess..until I'm more prepared for a diesel..then got to get rid of all them vac hoses and crap...

Old 04-14-2016, 04:47 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Throw the PB in the trash and get Kroil

Old 04-14-2016, 05:42 AM
quaallen
Senior User
Never heard of it...I get pb for free from work...is kroil that much better that I should spend$?
I sure would like to get rid of all them vac. Hoses and emissions..I read about how but picture is my kind of reading...probably going to trash the a/c too...hell it has 4 big Windows!

Old 04-14-2016, 07:23 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Another vote to keep the 3fiddy1. 351m is an anchor (sorry if you like it) and you have what is likely a fresh 351 otherwise.

Good time to do long tubes, if you have to pull the heads.....good time to upgrade. A little more power would go a long way in the way it feels to drive that big truck, as the 351 is weak in stock trim.

You can get rid of a lot of the hoses and vac lines. Remove air pump and all associated parts/hoses. The only vac lines you need to keep are:

-line to fuel press regulator directly off manifold
-line to map sensor directly off manifold
-line to coffee can from intake, from coffee can to egr solenoid, from solenoid to egr valve.
-line to brake booster

everything else can be deleted, although it's not a bad idea to keep the evap system in tact as it has no adverse effects on performance and can make your truck smell like gas when parked on hot days.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:25 AM
quaallen
Senior User
Thanks for the replies.... only reason I want to get rid of all that emissions is because the cluster.....I know it ain't squat for performance gain...I don't want to have to pull the heads....I'm hoping I'll get the manifold bolts off with out having to drill them out..dought it though.... oh and all the headers I see the reviews say they don't fit they hit the trans crewmember ...that's what I hear..
And when you say up grade the heads do you mean the stock ones or go gt40s.. them.heads are a little more then I want to spend

Last edited by quaallen; 04-14-2016 at 08:28 AM. Reason: More to say
Old 04-14-2016, 08:41 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 962 Likes on 762 Posts
Yes the HD trucks have a ton of crap on top of and around the motor. Do you have emissions tests to pass? Are the stock cats still installed? If the answer is no to both of those or you have plans to replace the whole exhaust system then everything connected to the air pump can be deleted, and that will clean up most of the stuff that is causing you pain.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:51 AM
quaallen
Senior User
No emissions.. And exhaust sometime.... thank you

Old 04-14-2016, 10:14 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Never seen headers hit the trans crossmember, I've bent many a header to clear front driveshafts though. Pacesetter long tubes need no such modification, they are the best fitting mainstream header for these trucks.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:03 AM
TobaccoBarn460
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Consider puling the motor to address your problems.

Your going to be in the engine bay fighting with broken bolts, maybe pulling a head, redoing exhaust, deleting vacuum and smog pump.

If you pull the motor, everything will be there in front of you, on a stand, you'll have to have a close up of all these issues, and you can replace the oil pan gasket, timing chain, freeze plugs, main seal, water pump, and paint the motor.

It's really not that bad. The results will be long-lasting.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:25 PM
quaallen
Senior User
Thank you all for the input..
I will just pull the engine I guess...but my biggest concern is if a351w is worth my time and$... probably have heads redone..stock?? I don't know...timing chain..then what probably will have to do injectors..those ain't cheap...then headers...if engine will be out and it ain't a fast project should I just swap with a diesel,?? More then likely as soon as I put$ into the gasser and install it I'll find a diesel for half of the$ I just spent... how good is a Windsor for this big truck...I mean come on diesel has everything more to offer...mpg torque the whistle :-).... how good is a non suped up w?? Big truck big tires I'd think diesel...I may be wrong....let me know..thanks

Old 04-14-2016, 03:41 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Parts are stupid cheap for Windsor Ford V8s. Just as cheap (if not cheaper) than 350 Chevy parts. You can get a set of 8 cleaned, tested and refreshed (new caps, o-rings, etc..) injectors for $50.

You can get a whole rebuild kit with 8 new pistons, a new oil pump and every bearing, seal, gasket you need for $300 for these engines.

A diesel swap is going to run you a lot more than $800, especially if you want one that whistles.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:45 PM
quaallen
Senior User
Wow.....That's a lot cheaper then I would of ever guessed for the injectors.....well hell if it's chevy cheap maybe I should build it up a little....time for some research...are so called performance parts as cheap? Not looking to get crazy just better

Well I was looking at summit and a reman injecter is 30 something each..where are you finding a set of 8 for that price....

Last edited by quaallen; 04-14-2016 at 08:38 PM. Reason: More to say
Old 04-18-2016, 05:50 PM
quaallen
Senior User
Do you think it may be easier to just remove the cab/front clip??? I do have to run all new lines..And want to replace cab bushing anyways..plus I would like to paint the frame...it's pretty flakey...should make it a little better..plus bee easier to pull motor if need be..so what yins think

Quick Reply: 93 f350 engine swap or repair questions