There are too darn many people camping

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 07:38 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Ocean Lake was packed this summer. We didn't reserve early and there was nothing for 7 consecutive days for weeks. It used to really be easy to get in there, but that has really changed over the past 30 years. Remember when it didn't have concrete pads and cost $70/night.

Only electric and water in the state parks other than for just a very few sites. You still will need reservations, but an easy bike ride to the beach and at the Myrtle Beach State Park which is the closest one to town, it is an easy bike ride over to the Commons with the restaurants and high end shopping. We have stayed there several times.

Steve
Thanks for the information.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:34 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
We are going to Huntington Beach SC for Thanksgiving. I make it a point to look for spots I want to reserve for future visits. The one I have reserved is back in the woods with nobody close by. The site has electric and water hookup I use a tote tank for grey water.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:40 PM
defekticon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz
The fuel thing is right on - we're living fulltime to figure out where we want to live - "interviewing" the country as it were - and will keep rolling as long as fuel costs stay low. First time they touch anywhere close to that $4/gal we saw a year or two ago, I expect we'll be done. We burn far too much diesel!
Damn, good choice of words. I've been chasing that dream for awhile now. I travel for work a lot. Interviewed Colorado in October.... Nice place! Would rather do it with the RV, I hate flying.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:58 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
We are going to Huntington Beach SC for Thanksgiving. I make it a point to look for spots I want to reserve for future visits. The one I have reserved is back in the woods with nobody close by. The site has electric and water hookup I use a tote tank for grey water.
Report back as I would like to hear how it was. We haven't camped there yet.

Steve

Old 11-17-2016, 04:14 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,667 Likes on 2,740 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
You get spoiled in the west with BLM and NF
Yep, tons of opportunities on BLM land. There are a number of state lands around lakes where you pull into the parking lot and set up shop. I did that last winter in a tent for ice fishing. I considered putting my tent on the ice but past experience says that location can be quite noisy at night (the ice groans). Hopefully this year it will be in the trailer, not the tent.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:35 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by ct diesel
When we go to Myrtle Beach we stay at Ocean Lakes. Good service and have never had a problem getting a site. Next time we go down though I think I'll look into some of the state campgrounds, sound interesting. Maybe even get a list and see what's on line for the area.
Just tried to book Ocean Lakes for Thanksgiving week. It is not happening. No spaces at all unless we want to move several times from space to space. Don't folks know camping season is over!

Steve

Old 11-18-2016, 07:18 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Report back as I would like to hear how it was. We haven't camped there yet.

Steve

We have camped there before, awesome park, great beaches and sites are large and level. We prefer Huntington over MB State Park but will stay at either. We have yet to try private campgrounds at Myrtle Beach.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:24 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just tried to book Ocean Lakes for Thanksgiving week. It is not happening. No spaces at all unless we want to move several times from space to space. Don't folks know camping season is over!

Steve
I guess things are changing, just to many campers down there in SC. RVTECT had the same basic interaction with Ocean Lakes. I always considered this time of year the best time to be at Myrtle Beach.

P.S. My wife informed me it's been about 7 years since we have been there with trailer. Last time we rented a bungalow, nice but I always prefer the 5th wheel.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:34 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
SC State Parks are awesome, many more parks have RV hookups than NC Parks. There are 4 parks in SC that are on the beach, I have camped in 3 of them, Edisto is the only one we haven't visited, you need to get your reservations in early.

Western SC has some awesome locations too.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:59 PM
WolfFox
Senior User
You get spoiled in the west with BLM and NF as you go towards the east your free camping gets real limited. The NF are thick and you might have to do some trimming. Look for COE campgrounds they are cheaper just not everywhere. Table Rock Lake (Branson, Missouri area, just left there a couple weeks ago) has free camping till spring but the water and electric are off. They do have dump station and water there.

Get a Big Buddy heater and a 20# or tap in to your gas line and heat the rig that way. It will also save on the battery running the furnace.
scraprat, Where did you tie in to you gas line and how did you run the line, ty

Old 11-19-2016, 07:55 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,299 Posts
I haven't found a location that I'm totally happy with yet so I'm still bringing the 12' gas line through a window (you will still need to crack a couple windows for fresh air).

RV Install and Review of the Mr. Heater Big Buddy MH18B good ideas here. Keeping in mind that you might have to tweak them to your application/ liking.

It gives you an idea to work off of, this one taps into RV gas line but I would add a shut off valve with the Tee. I have seen where it has been tapped in to the stove area and mounted on a wall near there also.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:51 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Finding spots in Southern CA has only proven to be difficult for State Parks, but that has been the case for 20+ years. Here out west, there always seems to be a viable option, especially in MT, ID, CO, and NV. Right now, we were VERY fortunate to get into a County Park as park hosts. We work 20 hours per week for a spot with endless utilities. We couldn't be happier!

Old 11-19-2016, 11:10 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
75 degrees here, getting the camper ready for a long Thanksgiving weekend at the beach, will be our last trip this year.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:11 AM
WolfFox
Senior User
I haven't found a location that I'm totally happy with yet so I'm still bringing the 12' gas line through a window (you will still need to crack a couple windows for fresh air).

RV Install and Review of the Mr. Heater Big Buddy MH18B good ideas here. Keeping in mind that you might have to tweak them to your application/ liking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahmlw6wEzXE
It gives you an idea to work off of, this one taps into RV gas line but I would add a shut off valve with the Tee. I have seen where it has been tapped in to the stove area and mounted on a wall near there also.
Great info! Thank you

Old 11-20-2016, 11:17 AM
mrgrayaz
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by defekticon
Damn, good choice of words. I've been chasing that dream for awhile now. I travel for work a lot. Interviewed Colorado in October.... Nice place! Would rather do it with the RV, I hate flying.
We sortied out of Denver. Nice place, had been there for 4 years. Getting too expensive and crowded though.

Quick Reply: There are too darn many people camping