1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

1960 F100 - Decisions, decisions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 02:21 PM
JP60
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1960 F100 - Decisions, decisions...

Hello all. My name is Jack. For the past 9 years, I've had this rusty old 1960 Ford F100 following me around. I bought it from an old man in South Carolina for a little bit of nothing. I had all these big plans and dreams for what I wanted to do with it, but no plan for how to get there, and no knowledge of how to make any of it happen. I spent a bunch of money on all kinds of parts I had no idea how to install (Front disc brakes, gas tank for relocating under the frame, Dakota Digital dash, Painless wiring kit, even another parts truck!). Chip Foose made it look so easy that I thought I'd have no problem doing it either. I was an idiot. I didn't have the time, facilities, or money to get anywhere near done with this project. I bet this is a familiar story on forums like this. Anyway, 9 years and 2 moves later, I finally have this truck here to what is presumably the time and place for me to settle down. Long story short, I'm not sure there is any good metal under that rust any more, but the truck is in 1 piece. It doesn't run, and I have no idea how to make it run, yet...and I have a BUNCH of spare parts!

Of course, my priorities have changed. I want to get it running first, rather than go for the frame-off right away. I may eventually do that, but not until I'm confident enough in my mechanical abilities to get it done in a reasonable amount of time. Then there's the financial concerns. I'm a husband and father of two. I make decent money, but we all know where hobbies fall on the priority list.

So I'll probably be lurking here for the most part until I have something intelligent to say. I'll search for the answer on this massive forum before I post a question that has probably been asked and answered a hundred times in the last several years. I'll just be here formulating a plan, setting my priorities straight, developing a plan of action, and learning how to make that plan a reality.

I put some pics in my profile, but I don't have the time right now for the inevitable resizing issues and struggles that forums present. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom/free advice/pointers, etc., and thanks for this great forum!

Jack

Old 04-10-2016, 04:43 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the "fridge forum"!
Well it looks like you are starting with more then some. This is a great site for gathering info, be sure to search the 49-56 forum also, we were part of that forum (so there are some threads that pertain directly to us) but it got to be so large that us orphans 57-60'S got culled! You will be hard pressed to find a more helpful bunch. So just jump in and as you go it will build you're skills and confidence.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:28 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Looking at the pictures in your profile it looks like you have a 1960 with a 292 Y-block and an automatic transmission (Fordomatic). The truck looks pretty solid and pretty original. The engine looks like it has been sitting and rusting for a long time. I would start with confirming that the engine is not locked up. First decision is are you going to keep the Y-block or replace it with a newer engine. Based on the parts you bought, originally is not a priority, so maybe putting in a 302 with a modern automatic transmission may be a lot easier than restoring what you have. I prefer the Y-block, and you can pay a machine shop to rebuild it, but I would say you will have $2500 or so in rebuilding the y-block.

Brakes and such are not that hard, but if you don't have a power plant, you don't need brakes.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:22 PM
JP60
New User
Thanks guys, great info right off the bat. Walston, you are correct in all you said about the truck. I would like to keep the 292 if possible, but I'm still trying to decide how original or modded I want to go with this. I was just an idiot with too much money and no direction when I bought all that stuff.

I was thinking I want to get it running first, and then go from there. Thing is, I'm mechanically inclined, but I don't know the first thing about this process. Is there anything written somewhere about "The Process"? Because there definitely is a process to all this, there must be, and before I go off all half-cocked and start ripping and stripping, I need to set some goals and learn the process.

If it doesn't fly, I don't have much experience building it. For example, "I would start with confirming that the engine is not locked up." How do you do that? This should be fun.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:39 PM
hest_c
Junior User
JP60, I'll also be tagging along. Just got my hands on a '58 F100 that I confirmed runs but needs some transmission/clutch work. Also a dad of two with a household to support (until wife is done with school at least) but my truck needs to run for summer projects around the house too! Body work will, for the most part, have to wait, so long as she drives and stops fine it'll suit me well for the time being. Keep us posted on the progress and good luck. As Theodore/Teddy said, this is a great forum, I've been lurking for the past month pre-purchase and found a TON of good info.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:50 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

First you need some books. There are a lot of pictures in my gallery. Click on my name above and chose Gallery.

I used this rebuild book.
The Ford Y Block How to Repair and Rebuild The 1954 62 Ford OHV V 8 by J 087938185X | eBay

There is a new version I saw on Ebay, but I don't know anything about it. Maybe someone else here does.

You also need a shop manual.

1960 Ford Truck F P B C T Series Shop Service Repair Manual | eBay

There are electronic versions as well, but I prefer the paper book.

To check if the engine will turn over, I would put a socket on the crankshaft, inside the main pulley, and see if you can turn it by hand.

Process you can start with:
Get the books and learn.
Engine: Remove and rebuild or replace?
Transmission: Remove and rebuild or replace?
Front axle: Repair original or replace with IFS?
Steering: Replace all connections if rebuilding original- drag link, tie rod ends, etc. Consider toyota power steering conversion.
Front Brakes: Repair original or replace with disk or use donor from IFS?
Rear axle: Rebuild seals and brakes
Brakes: Add power booster?
Rear axle:

Old 04-11-2016, 07:16 AM
JP60
New User
Thanks hest c. Good luck on your project. Walston, thanks for the words of wisdom. The engine is, in fact, locked up. I was thinking about pulling the plugs and pouring in a bunch of Marvel Mystery oil to try to loosen things up. What do you think? A shop manual was probably the only smart purchase I made when I bought all that stuff, but I can't find it. I'll probably have to buy another one. I just ordered the engine book from Amazon, but I'm going to look in a few more places before I order the shop manual. Walston, the thought occurred to me, why bother with breaking the engine free if I'm just going to rebuild it? Well, I'm off to buy some dollies so I can roll this thing into the garage. Thanks again.

Last edited by JP60; 04-11-2016 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Added text
Old 04-11-2016, 12:32 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

I would put 1/4 - 1/2 cups MMO in each cylinder. ATF works as well. I would let it soak for a week! Since it has mechanical lifters, I would remove the valve covers and the rockers and lift tubes so you don't bend a lift tube trying to rotate. Pore some MMO or ATF on the valves, it will make it easier to take apart.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:36 PM
idaho211
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I came in late. How is the 292 coming? Did you get it free? How long has the engine sat? I have started engines and some ran well up to 10 years since being started. My first concern is how froze is the engine? If you free it up a couple of things always seem to be addressed: Carburetor, fuel pump, points, plugs, fuel. It always seems the carbs are dried out and leaking, I rebuild them with a kit or a good old mechanic can do it for you. Fuel pump usually goes south so I replace them. I found a pretty good one that has the fittings at Speedway.. If that far, check the points to see if they are burned. I would replace the plugs but check the condition of the old ones they can give clues as to the condition of the engine. Most of these trucks the fuel tanks are rusted, varnished out and the internal pick up tube is fouled. I unscrew the fuel out line at the tank and hook on a fuel hose and run it to a 5 gal tank. Last thing I put on a see thru fuel filter in between the carb and fuel pump. I just started a 1959 f600 2 weeks ago and all of these things needed work on in addition to a bad coil I replaced. Good luck and let us know hot it is going.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:19 AM
JP60
New User
Thanks Idaho211, lots of good info there. I haven't started any wrenching on it yet. I'm reading through some recommended reading and contemplating my first moves. I'm a bit discouraged by the whole thing because I just don't have much spare time. My wife and I have 2 kids who are into football, softball, Boy Scouts, 4-H, and on and on and on... Plus, I'm a concealed carry instructor and a firearms enthusiast, so most of my play money goes to guns and ammo. I'm just not sure if I want to spend the required amount of money to get this thing on the road. Not to mention there's a ton of rust on this thing. Some body panels are missing the bottom 3 inches, and I have no clue how to do body work. And, oh by the way... I'm a mechanic for a living. I overhaul helicopter engines and APUs. It's a job. It isn't a passion. It's something I do to earn the money to do the things I like to do. I'm not sure I want to wrench on something all day, and then come home and wrench some more.

...And then my 13-year-old son looks at me and says "I can't wait to start working on that old truck with you dad."

Old 04-24-2016, 10:31 AM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
..And then my 13-year-old son looks at me and says "I can't wait to start working on that old truck with you dad."
Now there is an opportunity that should not be missed!

Old 04-25-2016, 09:24 AM
idaho211
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a 12 year old boy and they are active these days. What is nice about these trucks is about any panel can be replaced with a good used one, and parts can still be found. So I wouldn't worry about rust now. I would concentrate on the engine and take your time. If you get it running it is a lot more mobile and kids love riding in old trucks. My boy's favorite is our 1960 4x4. My boy likes cleaning the interior, anything to get them involved, its always a good bonding experience with minimal cost. I would see if you can get the engine rotating then go from there. Ted Eaton at Eaton Precision machine in Texas is a great resource and overall nice guy he could give you some advice about your Y-block or the Y-blocksforever site. Don't give up on it yet. Let us know how it is going.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:40 AM
milk225
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
JP60
Great to have you on the forum. These trucks at times can seam very daunting. I like you have kids going every which way. I have 5 boys and a daughter all involved in sports, scouts and various other activities but the first thing they want their Mom or I to do is to take them in the 60 to get to piano lessons or on a scout overnight Campout. I now have 4 of these trucks that are running and several other parts trucks. My oldest just got his drivers permit so I found a 60 f100 4x4 for him to drive and he loves that truck. It is fun to work on them together with them as they are simple enough for us slightly mechanically inclined types to keep our heads above water. Good luck with your truck. I historically have been mostly into keeping good solid original trucks stock but have lately been contemplating stretching things a little updating some components as others have suggested. I guess what I am saying is no matter what you do with the truck just make sure you enjoy it and enjoy it with your kids as they make the time spent worthwhile.

Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2016, 05:46 AM
JP60
New User
Thanks guys. My wife and I are active participants in everything our kids do. I'm sure this truck will fit in nicely if we ever get it roadworthy.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:19 PM
thrifty
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Just thought I would welcome you to the Forum! If you are a helicopter mechanic and overhaul engines, you can surely open a can of Whoop A$$ on a gasoline engine. Read all the articles you can and ask as many questions as needed. When I started learning I stuck my face into many magazines and manuals that I could find. (back then there was no internet) Check your area you might join a club and meet people and get some help and help other people. Also utube is another good source, there is actually some good info out there.

Quick Reply: 1960 F100 - Decisions, decisions...