6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel Pump Just Died AGAIN after 1500 miles, waiting for tow

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 06:31 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
I can understand that a screen at the pickup tube would be a good thing.

Perhaps because there are two fuel filters they decided it was not needed.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:37 AM
MaineDieselDummy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That may have been their thinking, but Ford should have recognized the issue, and taken steps to correct or prevent it from continuing.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:09 AM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Do you use PM22? I know it's been speculated, but you haven't answered either way. If you do then it sure could be the cardboard disc. I've almost done it myself. But now I am sure to know where it is before the bottle goes to the tank.

It is a design, not a flaw. I work on heavy equipment and nothing has suction screens in the tank, it's not just Ford. If you got a disc in the tank, it's not Ford's fault or responsibility. Man up to your mistake, pay the bill and consider it a lesson. If you came on here to bitch about this and have us all tell you Ford should take care of it, you've come to the wrong place.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:15 AM
MaineDieselDummy
New User
Yes I use pm22. I do not believe I dropped a disc in there. What kind of equipment do you work on, because my deere, case, and bobcat diesels would all have caught the disc as well as my 12.7 Detroit in my Peterbuilt and the cummins isx in my Kenworth. Maybe I am complaining, but does that mean I'm wrong about the complaint?

Old 04-15-2017, 07:26 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Hate to say it, but not including a design measure to prevent the owner dumping a foreign object in the tank is hardly a design flaw. It's an unfortunate coincidence that the cardboard disc is of the appropriate size to obstruct the pickup tube, but this is nobody's fault but the person who drops the disc down the fill hole. If that's what happened, you will be on the hook for this one. The dealer can't change the facts of what happened, and this wouldn't be covered under warranty from any manufacturer.

Hope your dealer can cut you a break, almost all costs for this will be labor. Good luck with the truck.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:30 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
plus side is if there is no disc, they maybe it is a mechanical failure, which would be covered. Guess time will tell.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:31 AM
MaineDieselDummy
New User
I did not say the design flaw was the size of the opening. I didn't say it was the disc in the cap of the cetane booster. The design flaw is the lack of a screen protecting the fuel pick-up. And, no disc has been found in my fuel system yet. I am not convinced that I dropped one in.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:35 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by MaineDieselDummy
I did not say the design flaw was the size of the opening. I didn't say it was the disc in the cap of the cetane booster. The design flaw is the lack of a screen protecting the fuel pick-up. And, no disc has been found in my fuel system yet. I am not convinced that I dropped one in.
Perhaps not...I hope your dealer agrees that this is under warranty if no disc is found? If you suspect shenanigans, it may be worth asking to be there when the tank comes down.

There is LOTS more money to be made on a customer-pay repair than a warranty pump replacement. I think most dealers wouldn't participate in this kind of fraud, but it's possible.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:39 AM
MaineDieselDummy
New User
If I was at my normal dealership, I wouldn't question it. The dealership the truck is at has been terrible with misinformation, slow response time, and poor customer service.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:31 AM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by MaineDieselDummy
Yes I use pm22. I do not believe I dropped a disc in there. What kind of equipment do you work on, because my deere, case, and bobcat diesels would all have caught the disc as well as my 12.7 Detroit in my Peterbuilt and the cummins isx in my Kenworth. Maybe I am complaining, but does that mean I'm wrong about the complaint?
We have Komatsu, Sennebogen, and a few other smaller lines in not real familiar with. They all have strainers in the fill neck but that's it. Most of the time the fuel truck guys take them out or jam the nozzle through them and render them useless.

I've almost lost the disc in mine. It's easy to do and in a second it's gone. I do agree that if they drop the tank and find no disc then you have some type of warrantable issue. But given the circumstances, the disc has to be ruled out, which means the tank needs to come out. I have not seen an in tank strainer in my 337 Pete either.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:55 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,606 Likes on 1,640 Posts
I must be too **** about what goes into my fuel tank.........the only thing that gets inserted in to the filler neck is the fuel nozzle; after doing a visual(is the handle slimy, no foreign objects in the nozzle/hose connected to diesel side of pump) followed by a sniff test(does it smell like diesel fuel)...........no additives!
I figure they designed the system to operate with ULSD!! And that is what I use. So far, so good!!!

Old 04-16-2017, 12:10 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,327 Likes on 1,744 Posts
Here's another tip that may help...

I buy PM22 by the gallon in metal cans from Ford, and Stanadyne Performance Formula by the case of 1/2 gallon bottles from a diesel injection service. I keep one 1/2 gallon bottle in one of the truck's toolboxes, filled with either Stanadyne or PM22 or a mixture of both, depending on which of the two I had on hand at the time I refilled the bottle.

I also keep a turkey baster in a clear cylinder, with caps on either end. When fueling the truck, I stop the pump about half way through, and dip the turkey baster into the half gallon bottle, suck it up, and squeeze it out into the filler nozzle. No worries about little cardboard discs. And I can see the exact dosage quantity because the turkey baster has fractional ounce demarcations embedded into it's plastic vial.

Been using this system for 16 years or so. No worries about foil covers or cardboard discs, and the cost per ounce of additive is less when purchased in gallon sizes. Saves money, and saves the expense and hassle of a tow bill and dropping the tank.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:23 AM
cangim
Postmaster
hmm, if one went to a titan tank would you get a free/reduced cardboard disc removal? I know they have to cover their cost, but a drop and reinstall for me would be 4 hours dorkin around as I went. So determined mechanic 500 seems fair, 1000

Old 04-16-2017, 10:38 AM
MaineDieselDummy
New User
I'm trying to decide between Titan tank, sump kit or a different truck.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:39 AM
Mystic_Cobra
Elder User
I was not convinced that I had dropped the cardboard disk in the tank until they found one in my tank. I'm very careful, but apparently not perfect. I was happy to walk away with only have to pay the diagnostic fee to drop and inspect the tank. My dealer worked with Ford Corp and they agreed to cover the cost of replacing a ton of fuel system components. They found metal shards inside and were afraid that they could cause more damage down the road. Had they not replaced those components there likely would have been a bigger failure down the road that could have killed the engine. I think they were trying to prevent a future engine replacement.
The bill to Ford was around $8000. My bill was about $500.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Just Died AGAIN after 1500 miles, waiting for tow