6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel Pump Just Died AGAIN after 1500 miles, waiting for tow

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 12:13 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
might have to be an insurance claim if someone put something in there.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:41 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
Originally Posted by m-chan68
... every time I purchase a new bottle of PM-22, I separate them into five plastic jars to pour in when required during fueling. This ensures I never repeat the mistake of letting that piece end up in my tank again.

Many years ago, when I first got my truck, I bought 5 turkey basters. I put 4 away for future use, and kept one in the bed toolbox of the truck, along with a 1/2 gallon bottle of Stanadyne Performance Formula. At every fill up, I use the turkey baster to suck the additive out of the Stanadyne bottle, and squirt it into the fill neck.

The turkey baster has ounce markings on the vial, which makes it easy to get the right ratio of additive per the amount of fuel purchased that day. And there is no need to transfer from bottle to bottle. No spillage either.

Over the years, the rubber bulb begins to deteriorate from contact with the petroleum distillates in the additive. That's why I purchased 5 basters (at the dollar store, about a dollar each). Fast forward 15 years later, and I'm finally down to my last turkey baster. Time to go the dollar store again.

I purchase the additive in 1/2 gallon containers to reduce the cost per ounce. For those who use Ford's PM-22 or PM-23 product, it is available in gallon cans, but those cans are metal, and I'm not sure how much they will balloon from the expansive pressure of trapped fumes when the can heats up from being stored in the bed box of the truck. For me, the gallon size is also too big to haul around, but the 1/2 gallon size from Stanadyne is just right.

I did find I needed to change the caps of the Stanadyne bottle, not because of the cardboard, but because of the seal. I don't remember where I got the replacement caps, heck, they could have been from a gallon of lacquer thinner or bleach for all I know. But again, the heat from being in the bed box challenges all but the best of bottles and seals, and while the Stanadyne bottle is extra thick and sturdy plastic, the cap needed improvement. Start saving caps to every bottle of strong chemical you encounter, and that problem is easily solved.

The foil seals on small fill neck bottles are always annoying. I try to avoid them whenever possible, especially in the fuel fill system. The turkey basters have worked out great for me to neatly dispense the correct dosage of fuel additive without pouring blind into the fill neck.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:08 PM
Mikey-Z
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel line removal

I have 2013 SD Diesal with same issue with fuel pump making a whining sort of grinding sound...I also bought one online for $238 , and just tried to change , but could not remove the fuel lines. I bought the universal fuel line tool but didn't seem to fit over lines...what is the trick to removing them?

Old 07-16-2016, 12:29 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Pop the tiny safety clips up just a touch, then press down on the large part of the clip, and gently pull the connection from the pump assembly.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:06 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Y2KW57 - Just don't confuse turkey basters at Thanksgiving time....

I like that idea though... Luckily we have pickups that you can keep that stuff in the bed and out of the cab. I hated keeping that stuff in a Rubbermaid container in my diesel excursion and we didn't keep anything at all in our old, non-diesel-gate, VW Jetta we had years ago.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:37 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
What I find very interesting, is this issue seems to have happened on several occasions only on 6.7L trucks, not 6.4L, 6.0L or 7.3L trucks (or at least none that I've heard of yet).

That said, the in-tank fuel pick up on the older trucks must be of a different design that won't get blocked off (at least not enough to cause noticeable symptoms). I'm sure it can't only be owners of 6.7L trucks that have mistakenly let that cardboard disk fall into the tank during fueling.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:06 PM
Mystic_Cobra
Elder User
So, update on my truck...looks like a cardboard cap found its way into my fuel tank as well and blocked off the pickup. It was running fine (when it would run) but they found metal bits inside the fuel rail so they are going to replace the rail, lines and injectors. Pump was clean inside and just replace less than 3 months ago. It seems the metal bits were probably left over inside from when the fuel pump failed last year. Ford is going to cover the cost to replace the fuel components and I'm glad to hear that.

It blows my mind that there is an opening with no filter or screen or anything there. It seems like an easy fix to prevent this.
This is what they use on the Mustang fuel pickups (it's what I'm used to working on).
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...F74BoCXHXw_wcB

It will interesting to see if there is a change in either the fuel system or the bottle of additive to prevent this issue. Ford recommends the additive but with issues like this, people will stop using it.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:35 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Glad you are getting it fixed and really, whether there was a little cardboard circle in it or not, you would have needed the work done.

I used to see those nylon fuel pickup socks in gas vehicles too - when I dropped the tank, seems that those could delay the cardboard circle from causing a problem. Maybe they don't flow enough fuel for a diesel truck though? Diesel fuel is a little thicker than gas, especially at colder temps? Just thinking out loud here.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:35 AM
22rimfire
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you got it figured out, and taken care of mystic.

I buy PM-22 from my dealer in gallon jug (which is plastic BTW). I then transfer it into emptied 5 oz Lucas injector cleaner bottles. They are the perfect size for fitting in the tank neck. I keep a few in my in-bed toolbox. I don't remember what the seal inside the cap of those is, but you can bet I'll be paying close attention from now on. That's one of the great things about this forum. Information that helps others.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:27 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
Originally Posted by 22rimfire
I buy PM-22 from my dealer in gallon jug (which is plastic BTW).

Interesting. Last can I bought from my local dealer looked like this:

And Google Shopping appears to show that the product is still sold in metal gallon cans, from at least two vendors:

And so does Amazon... also from two vendors...

And Ford's brochure shows the gallon size in a metal can as well...

I believe you when you say you are getting your additive in a plastic jug... but that doesn't mean that PM-22 doesn't also come in a metal can. In fact, I am curious if what you are buying is exactly the same product as above?

Old 09-09-2016, 07:39 AM
Mystic_Cobra
Elder User
About three tanks of fuel ~1500 miles since my service visit. No issues with fuel system and the filter gauge is interesting to monitor.
Mine goes to 100% (FULL) before starting a regen every time and usually doesn't finish before I shut it off (short trips). If I do drive long enough to finish, it shuts off at 25%.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:28 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Mystic_Cobra
About three tanks of fuel ~1500 miles since my service visit. No issues with fuel system and the filter gauge is interesting to monitor.
Mine goes to 100% (FULL) before starting a regen every time and usually doesn't finish before I shut it off (short trips). If I do drive long enough to finish, it shuts off at 25%.
That is typical of most users that have the Exhaust Filter/DPT screen activated. It is not a concern if it does not go less than 25%. Mine usually only drops to like 30%.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:25 AM
MaineDieselDummy
New User
I have a 2016 SRW F350 with 27XXX miles and am having the same issue with possible cardboard in the tank. The truck is not at my preferred dealership, and I'm having nothing but problems with the one that it is at. They are telling me that it is not covered, and I will have to pay over $1000 for the repair. This is my first Ford since my 1984 F250, and it's been on a flatbed and to the dealership more than my last 2 (non-Ford) trucks did in 8 years. I'm losing faith in the brand. Will someone tell me that it's going to get better?

Old 04-15-2017, 06:20 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by MaineDieselDummy
I have a 2016 SRW F350 with 27XXX miles and am having the same issue with possible cardboard in the tank. The truck is not at my preferred dealership, and I'm having nothing but problems with the one that it is at. They are telling me that it is not covered, and I will have to pay over $1000 for the repair. This is my first Ford since my 1984 F250, and it's been on a flatbed and to the dealership more than my last 2 (non-Ford) trucks did in 8 years. I'm losing faith in the brand. Will someone tell me that it's going to get better?

So why are they telling you it is not covered? Because of the possible cardboard?

Or are they saying if that is what they find it would be a customer pay?

If it is cardboard, why would Ford pay to take that out? Did Ford put it in there? Is that a mechanical failure?

Old 04-15-2017, 06:29 AM
MaineDieselDummy
New User
The fact that there is no screen in the tank is an obvious design flaw that has been ignored in this model of truck, and should have been corrected at some point between 2011 and now. Since they didn't feel the need to fix the flaw, a warning to powerstroke owners would have been the least they could have done.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Just Died AGAIN after 1500 miles, waiting for tow