1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

2010 E-350 how to remove stock radio ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 08:33 PM
toyopl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E-350 how to remove stock radio ?

I cannot find info on this model how to remove stock radio to swap out for aftermarket one, tried googling but it all shows old dash design from previous years.
Here's the dash that I currently have in mine.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Mikey_23_ny1
Senior User
I dont know anything about the newer generation dash however by looking at the pic, i would imagine you just need to remove the surrounding finish panel (put the steering wheel in the down position first and possibly some screws above or below the speedo). Under there, you should have access to remove some more screws/bolts. Did you try pulling that finish panel out? possibly the vents pull out too. I would imagine its a pretty simple design.
Someone else will chime in very shortly..

Old 04-09-2016, 04:14 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did find some instructions, might be hard to read.
It said remove the panel below the steering column (6 clips).
Remove the nuts holding the column and lower it to get access.
Pull the panel loose (carefully, clips and wiring connectors).
Remove screws holding the radio. jim

2010 radio removal

Old 04-09-2016, 08:21 AM
toyopl
New User
Thank you, looks like I gotta take apart the whole dash assembly to get to the radio.
Will wait for the weather to get nice and give it a go.
Thanks again.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:25 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Before you do all that work let me find some photos another member sent me about this same issue.

Jim found what looks to be a page or two out of a Ford service manual---those can sometimes not be the quickest way to get a job done. In fact anyone who's read the official manual about replacing the blend door or heater core on an E-Series knows what I'm talking about---they say to "first drop column, remove (entire) dash board...)

Update: Here's an image of the trim panel surrounding the radio:

Because the radio chassis is similar to the double DIN type four hex head screws hold it to the dashboard superstructure. The only real accommodation you might have to do is moving the trans shift lever to low, if tilt wheel equipped lower that but not the entire column.

I'm hoping the member with whom I had this discussion via PM chimes in with his experience---I'm speaking second hand here.

HTH

Old 04-10-2016, 12:50 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
I found some additional tips. It is from instructions to add a universal cellphone/GPS mount to the dash. LOTS of models with instructions (with photos).
http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/FO-72-08-G3-p9.pdf

Same info, lower but don't actually unbolt the column. jim

Old 04-16-2016, 08:43 AM
motorcarmike
Junior User
Originally Posted by JWA
Before you do all that work let me find some photos another member sent me about this same issue.

Jim found what looks to be a page or two out of a Ford service manual---those can sometimes not be the quickest way to get a job done. In fact anyone who's read the official manual about replacing the blend door or heater core on an E-Series knows what I'm talking about---they say to "first drop column, remove (entire) dash board...)

Update: Here's an image of the trim panel surrounding the radio:

Because the radio chassis is similar to the double DIN type four hex head screws hold it to the dashboard superstructure. The only real accommodation you might have to do is moving the trans shift lever to low, if tilt wheel equipped lower that but not the entire column.

I'm hoping the member with whom I had this discussion via PM chimes in with his experience---I'm speaking second hand here.

HTH
Just saw this thread now so youve probably already done it. Yes JWA, youve got it right. I had the doghouse off and simply gave the center fascia panel a yank and it all pops out. DO THIS SLOWLY! youll have to disconnect all the 12v sockets and traction control buttons as you pull the facia off.
be careful when you get to the heater controls. That whole control panel is bolted to the fascia panel with 3 screws. I just reached around from behind and removed the screws, leaving the heater control panel dangling.

Youll also have the trailer brake wiring attached behind the coin holder. and lastly, the dimmer switch on the left of the steering column. The hardest part is getting the whole piece over the steering column. Sort of have to pull it out and wiggle it out...be careful not to lose or break any of the little white rubber anti squeak things on the back of the fascia panel...ive removed this panel twice on two vans and they always seem to fall off.

after all that, theres just the 4 bolts holding in the radio.

Good luck if you havent already done it!

Old 04-16-2016, 04:29 PM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Thumbs up Ford built a dashboard around a radio?

Stock radio doesn't seem so bad after all....

Old 04-17-2016, 05:13 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by tx2sturgis
Stock radio doesn't seem so bad after all....

Yeah but first time adding that new boom box (especially if you love great music sounding unbelievable) its kinda worth it.........afterwards anyway.